1) Registry cleaners are OK tools - but the problems with them far, far outweigh their benefits. And, the more that you use them, the more likely you are to have problems.
2) Until recently, there hasn't been a registry cleaner that was supported by Microsoft (the folks who made the registry). Now we have a tool by Microsoft (the http://safety.live.com/
3) That being said, NTREGOPT isn't really a registry cleaner. It's more of an optimizer. And, it's very reliable - but as with other registry tools....the more you use it, the more likely you are to have problems.
4) Reverting to a previous version of the registry requires that there be a previous version stored somewhere - if there isn't one, you can't revert to it. System Restore does this by making a backup copy of the registry among the other things that it does. NTREGOPT has the valuable ERUNT tool included.
5) Personally, I don't like System Restore. It's a handy tool, but it frequently won't work for me. Also, customizing the settings requires a great deal of knowledge and effort that the other tools that I use don't require. So, I leave it alone.
So, in short, the http://safety.live.com/
scan is the way to go. As with any registry cleaner/optimizer program - don't let it do it too often.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able. - John
(my website: http://www.carrona.org/
)**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack
. ** If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.
<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.