Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Use Ntregopt Or Not To Use Ntregopt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

This computer is a year old and it has done a lot of work. Many programmes have been installed and uninstalled so perhaps the registry is ready for a dose of syrup of figs. I am always looking for ways to keep the machine in good condition and NTREGOPT, a free programme, looks like an attractive proposition, but the registry has always been a no-go area and I have learned from experience not to meddle with things I know nothing about.

Lars Hederer, the author of NTREGOPT, tells us -

>>Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based system
can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
and optimize registry access.

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.<<

A month ago I had a registry problem and a technician 'altered' it. Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 had knocked out three of my hard drives. Adobe provided the remedy, the technician followed the instructions, and the drives were put back. But if the registry is recreated 'from scratch', could NTREGOPT reverse a change that has been made to a registry?

Yes, the answer does seem to be in the last paragraph of Lars Hederer's explanation but I would like to have a second opinion. I understand that a system restore can reverse a change made to a registry, if the system restore is not switched off after the change has been made.

Without venturing too close to the edge of litigation land, would you recommend NTREGOPT to someone who is registry shy?

Best wishes, whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

I avoid registry cleaners, I see too many posts about when thing on wrong here, back as an idea of a clean up, I suggest

spring clean the comp
http://fleamailman.freephpbbforum.co.uk/vi...c.php?p=151#151
everyday is a gift

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

NTREGOPT is an excellent program and its companion program, Erunt, provides backups of the registry (as does Windows System Restore) and I would suggest creating both an Erunt Backup and a System Restore point before using anything that modifies the registry in any way, like NTREGOPT.

I would suggest you try the Microsoft Safety Scan instead and see if it gives you the desired results. For someone who is unfamiliar and therefore hesitant about using anything that alters the registry, this would be the safest way to go.

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

1) Registry cleaners are OK tools - but the problems with them far, far outweigh their benefits. And, the more that you use them, the more likely you are to have problems.

2) Until recently, there hasn't been a registry cleaner that was supported by Microsoft (the folks who made the registry). Now we have a tool by Microsoft (the http://safety.live.com/ scanner).

3) That being said, NTREGOPT isn't really a registry cleaner. It's more of an optimizer. And, it's very reliable - but as with other registry tools....the more you use it, the more likely you are to have problems.

4) Reverting to a previous version of the registry requires that there be a previous version stored somewhere - if there isn't one, you can't revert to it. System Restore does this by making a backup copy of the registry among the other things that it does. NTREGOPT has the valuable ERUNT tool included.

5) Personally, I don't like System Restore. It's a handy tool, but it frequently won't work for me. Also, customizing the settings requires a great deal of knowledge and effort that the other tools that I use don't require. So, I leave it alone.

So, in short, the http://safety.live.com/ scan is the way to go. As with any registry cleaner/optimizer program - don't let it do it too often.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks to everyone for that advice. I used the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan and performance seems to be smoother. The registry did need some attention.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users