Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sammyd

sammyd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

hi. iv recently removed norton/symantec software because i was fed up with the antivirus section not working correctly, i am now using AVG and ewido but since then my computer seems slower and has more problems.

when i scan my computer with spybot s&d and ad-aware they always find tracking cookies and mallicious files, far more than iv had before. does anybody know the reason for this, is it normal? or am i not using something i should. also with the bad files these scans find do i quarantine them or remove them?

another problem is with my itunes, im not sure whether its linked to my security software but iv just updated itunes and now it wont run, which is really frustrating!!

can anybody shed any light on why im having these problems?

cheers for any help :thumbsup:

sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hi sammyd, ewido and AVG are now the same.
What Firewall do you run
See this link on being sure you have completely Removed NORTON

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/

Are you using XP or 2000 as AVG only works with these. If so try this:

In SAFE MODE,install AVG Antispyware. This may take quite some time, an hour or so, depending on speed and infection How to start Windows in Safe Mode

First go here and print out the Instructions on install / scan with AVG

Be sure to check for the any updates to the program after you install these.
Download and run ( formerly known as ewido) AVG Antispyware 7.5

Following these Instructions Download and run Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (with out tea timer option)

Download and run SUPERAntispyware, free version Home User

Now Run Windows OneCare Live
Be sure to click ONLY on the grey box below the picture of a wrench “Full Service Scan”

If you still have problems you'll need to do a HiJack This post. Post back if you need help.
Leave them in the Quarantine for now until you know for sure that your apps are all working properly.
As for the ipod there is a fix and a separate place to post that question here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/10/dospdaother/
BUT wait until all else is repaired first ..it'll be less trouble.

Edited by boopme, 16 October 2006 - 08:18 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

Bear in mind that each application has a different set of criteria for what consitutes "spyware"---in itself a very broad category---and consequently each application will look for, and find, different instances of malware.

I always recommend quarantining the files found for at least one week, then deleting them. Sometimes, these applications will detect a file or cookie needed by a site or programme you rely upon or trust, or return a "false-positive;" when this happens, you can then restore the item from the quarantine folder.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

I recommend that in addition to whatever else you do, run the free Windows One-Care Safety Scan.

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#5 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

thanks a lot for all that info!! :thumbsup:

i havent been on the computer much in the last week, so i havent tried anything yet. will be doing it later. im not really experiencing the problems i described in my first post any more, which is good. it just seems like theres far more harmful files being detected. but i suppose aslong as they are detected and quarantined/deleted then i should be ok.

thanks again,

sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users