Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Load

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 de3de

de3de

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:31 AM

I'm embarrassed to tell you what I did, but I am desparate, therefore willing to grovel. I knew better! I am always trying to keep my computer clean and organized. So, I downloaded and used a program designed to delete duplicate files. Stupid me. I don't remember the name of the program. It did say it would send the files to the Recycle Bin. I thought that if I had any problems I could retrieve the files from the Recycle Bin. Little did I know that I would not even be able to load Windows. The computer boots to the point of loading windows and then recycles between the HP welcome screen and the choice for booting screen. I have tried to start it in safe mode and any other mode possible. No results. The window recovery console won't work because it says it cannot find Ntldr. Is there any way to access the recycle bin and retrieve the missing files? I have an HP Pavillion desktop computer. I do not have a Windows Installation Disk. All I have are recovery disks created when I got the computer. Will these repair Windows? It appears that they will only restore the computer to the original state. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, as I have. I am open to any suggestions. If I have to restore to the original state I will, but I don't want to. If I have to do that will I lose all my documents, etc? If so, is there a way to recover them? I have a second hard drive that most of my stuff is saved on. However, I have a lot of pictures that I uploaded to my computer yesterday that I haven't backed up.

Please help.

Thanks,

Dede :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rc6962

rc6962

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:51 AM

Do you have another computer around that you can put your hard drive in?

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:06 AM

have you tried a simple repair with xp cd
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

btw always post: model, os, age
(guessing it is XP then)

Edited by fleamailman, 14 October 2006 - 05:06 AM.

everyday is a gift

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

See if the following helps:

NTLDR is Missing
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=185301251

#5 de3de

de3de
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

Do you have another computer around that you can put your hard drive in?

Yes, I do. I forgot about being able to copy files from the hard disk to another compter. I've even done that before. Thank you for for reminding me. Thank you for not being hard on me for being so foolish.

Dede

#6 de3de

de3de
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

See if the following helps:

NTLDR is Missing
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=185301251

Thank you for your reply. The disks that I have for my computer will only let me recover windows xp. It says that it doesn't delete my files. I will have to reinstall some of my software, but it will "repair" Windows. It is not at all like a Windows installation disk. I have started the process. We'll see what happens. Thank you for being so gracious about my foolishness.

Dede

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

What is the stuff about foolishness?

Hey you haven't done anything I or anybody else hasn't done. Matter of fact I guarantee you I have done some real doozies. Besides you just happen to be one of the smartest people around. Why? Well you know where to go to get the best answers on the web or any where.

Actually you just did get the best, and all of the best to you.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

We all have been there and done that - nothing to be embarrassed about.

It is how one learns.

Sometimes it is the hard way, but nevertheless how one learns.

Fortunately the damage is not irreparable.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

You've gotta do a lot more than that to be considered foolish! :thumbsup:

I formatted my hard drive once - and then deleted the backup! Now that was foolish!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users