Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Itunes/quicktime. Registry Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luckyjoe

luckyjoe

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

For some reason I think my registry related to quicktime/flash player is messed up because I can't seem to install my itunes or my quicktime. It seems to go fine until it tries to make registry keys. The error that i get is:

could not open :hkey_local_machine\software\classes\quickplayerlib.quicktimeapp\clsid. verify that you have sufficient access to that key.

I'm not sure but could that error also be the reason why flash player doesnt work on my internet explorer? for some reason it works fine on mozilla.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

Uninstall Quicktime, Itunes and Adobe flash player, one at a time with a reboot in between each uninstallation, then reinstall them one at a time, also rebooting after each is installed.

#3 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

I tried this too. After uninstalling, I am not able to install it due to the registry key error

#4 LOS27

LOS27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

I am having the same exact issue.. I uninstalled Itunes AND quicktime.. have not uninstall flash yet.. but apparently this did not help your problem when you did..

SO..... what is the deal? any other ideas? Anything I can do on that registry itself??

#5 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

after much effort i have come to the conclusion that it must be the software that apple sent out and certain computers because there are many other people who are having problems with the new itunes 7. i have tried to fix the registry by using registry mechanic but nothing worked. so i decided to revert back to itunes 6 even though i am no longer able to transfer music onto my ipod and wait until they decide to come out with an update fixing itunes

#6 coolsea

coolsea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

I have fixed the problem with the registry key errors. It is a permissions issue.
Regedit and browse to key. Right click and view permissions. Go to advanced and tab ownership. I will be empty. take ownership with the administrator group and click ok.
Then in the security area add the administrator group and give it full permissions. That should populate the box with the administrators group, system and user. Run QT install again and keep changing permissions on the keys needed.

When I was done it didn't completley work only after I installed the free bundled I tunes and QT package did it work completley!!

Good Luck

#7 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

i have tried this also. there are people who still do this and can't get it to work. even if i change the permissions, i am not able to install qt stand alone and itunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users