Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bewildered: Java Icon Location

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

I have read several threads that at one point or another mentions a Java icon in the control panel, which puzzles me exceedingly as I have never, on any computer I've ever been on, seen the Java icon in the control panel. In fact, the only place I have seen the icon at all is in Add/Remove programs, and I know you can't use that one to remove Java cache, at least not without uninstalling Java.

So how does the Java icon get into the control panel? :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

Open your control panel then (with Windows XP) select either Other Control Panel Options or Switch to Classic View. You should find the Java icon in either view.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Ronbo. :thumbsup:

This is most peculiar. I haven't clicked on "other options" in the control panel lately. When I have in the past, all I ever saw was an icon for Program Updates.

Today it was different. I saw not only that icon, but the Java icon - yeah!, Adobe Gamma, BDE Administrator, Broadcom Control Suite, Intel Modem-on-Hold, Intel® Extreme Graphics, and QuickTime. Most of these I have no idea what they are for. The only thing I can think of is that running Windows Live Safety Center Online Scan fixed some registry entries that allowed these icons to appear in the control panel.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

You are welcome Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Glad you found the Java icon. :flowers: It is possible that the online scan did fix something for you. I know that whenever I do a clean install of my system that installing Jasc Paint Shop Pro v.9 and its updates add one line of gobbledygook to the end of the registry entry for that part of the control panel that prevents it from showing anything other than the mail icon. I have to go into the registry and modify that entry to get the other icons to show again.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 Lena2

Lena2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'm so sorry to bring this old topic back, but I'm hoping someone will respond.

Ronbo, I noticed you have to modify the registry to get your icons back. I have Jasc software that came preinstalled on my computer and have missing icons in the "other control panel options."

Could you please tell me where in the registry you had to make modifications? I understand this is at my own risk and if something goes wrong I would in no way blame you.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:50 AM

If you make an error while making changes in the registry you can render your computer into a door stop, for that reason it is a good idea to backup the registry first. ERUNT is a good application for this.
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Edited by dc3, 22 February 2009 - 06:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Lena2

Lena2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi dc3, thanks for the link! I only wish I knew where in the registry this Jasc value is hiding (if this is even the cause of my problem).

I hope I'm not hijacking the topic, but I have the exact same symptom as Orange Blossom. The only icon in "other control panel option" (category view) is Program Updates. The Java, Quicktime, SigmaTel Audio, BDE administrator, etc are there in Classic view, but not in category view. I looked through all the categories just in case, but according to my other machine, these should be under "other c. p. options".

Unfortunately the Windows Live Safety Center Online Scan did not fix this for me, and it's been bugging me for at least 2 years now.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hello Lena2,

I have Jasc software that came preinstalled on my computer

My computer came preinstalled with this program as well. It was a trial version which I uninstalled which leads me to another possibility of how I fixed the issue. I uninstalled the program; however, I don't know for sure when I did so. If, however, you don't use this program or if it is a trial version, you could uninstall the program to see if it solves the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 Lena2

Lena2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Thanks for your reply. The unfortunate thing is, the uninstaller for the program (Dell Image Expert by Jasc) is corrupt. None of the Dell CDs that came with my system include Dell Image Expert so I can't even try to reinstall then uninstall, or look for the uninstaller.

Dell support was very vague when I asked if they could provide me with at least the uninstaller to fix this (since they preinstalled it as part of their bundle) and did not help in solving the issue. They suggested I remove the entry from Add/Remove programs and delete all related files manually, but that still leaves me with registry entries (some of which CCleaner removed, some not).

Seems like a restore to factory settings might be in order, but I don't have the time to go through reinstalling all my programs and transferring backups, etc. ::sigh::

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users