Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Enough Memory?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FrancineZ

FrancineZ

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

My Toshiba laptop is about a year and a half old and all of a sudden I'm getting a message that says my computer does not have enough memory to do certain things. So far, I have only gotten this message while trying to post text into Microsoft Works.

I was told by my computer science instructor to to go msconfig.exe and uncheck all the boxes that start up when my computer turns on. I was just concerned because this has never been a problem before, and I didn't change anything on my computer when the problem occured. I was wondering if you could give me any advice on the situation. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

Well, to update, I tried turning off all the processes that, through google search, I found to be unnecessary and I'm still having this problem.

Posted Image

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Hi FrancineZ, lets try to clean up some space and check Pc for malware
Go here and run this free scan (Windows Live™ OneCare™ ). Click ONLY on the gray box, mid page under the picture of a wrench, that says Full Service Scan.
It can take from a 1/2 hour to a couple if it needs to defrag your hard drive. Post back some specs too please ... Ram and HDD size.
Is your HDD nearly full?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

How about before we go 'fixing' things we do some troubleshooting to be sure what we are dealing with. I think that first we ought to see just how much RAM is being used when you recieve such a message. So, the next time you get an error message like that, press:

ctrl + alt + del

This will open up the Task Manager. Click on the Performance tab.

Under Physical Memory, tell us the numbers you see for Total and Available.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 14 October 2006 - 06:27 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Sorry it took me so long to respond, and thanks for the help. I'll post what information I can find...

On my C-drive:
Available space: 93.1 GB
Used space: 10.3 GB
Free space: 82.8 GB

I don't know if that reflects my harddrive.

And all of a sudden, for no apparent reason at all, it's letting me paste things into Works again, which bothers me because now I really don't know what was wrong.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

Did you run the scan that boopme recommended?
How's about the memory stats that Albert Frankenstein asked for?
Have you done any of the spring cleaning that fleamailman suggested?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

What processes did you stop?
Your instructor probably told you to stop PROGRAMS (not processes) from starting when Windows starts. (using the startup tab only)
You can hose your op system completely by stopping essential Windows processes!

How much Ram do you have installed and what is the maximum size of your pagefile?

What were the results of the Windows Live Onecare Safety Scan?

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#8 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

I hadn't gotten around to running scans or clean ups or anything like that.

I stopped a bunch of programs. I went to msconfig.exe, google searched each of the processes, and stopped any of the ones that were unnecessary (ie: aol junk).

I tried the full service scan, but it's yelling that ActiveX isn't enabled. It tells me how to fix it in IE, but not Firefox.

I didn't have the problem again, because when I tried to reenact it (ie: paste something into Works), it worked fine, so I couldn't check the physical memory.

Where do I go to check the RAM?

Thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it. I hope my computer stops acting up some time soon.

Edited by FrancineZ, 17 October 2006 - 11:02 PM.

#9 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:05 AM

If your computer will do something, and then it is fixed "all of a sudden" most likely it's caused by you restarting your computer and clearing the ram. Certain processes if activated will run in the background, and fill up your ram and essentially make your computer run slower, some programs because of the way they are built, will actually start using more and more ram as time transpires, this is called a ram leak. Just make sure of what processes you are running, and remember to restart your computer every once in a while. This is a programing thing (most likely) you most likely have somewhere in the neighborhood of 512kb of ram I'm guessing, you can tell by (in xp) by opening your start folder and clicking on control panel then going into system, from there, it should tell you your ram. If you have 1gb of ram and this is happening, post back, because it may be another type of problem.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

Firefox doesn't have ActiveX - it's one of it's "selling points" because of the vulnerability that ActiveX causes for Internet Explorer.

The scan must be done using an ActiveX browser - you can install the IETab extension in Firefox and it may work from there.

The RAM will be shown on the POST screen when the computer first boots up (it'll run a check on it). If not there, then go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. On the General tab (the default should be this tab, it'll list the stats on the lower right side of the window.

Also, let us know which ones that you've stopped in msconfig. Likely most of them are good - but there's occasional one's that the description from a Google won't tell you the correct info.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

448 MB of RAM

I stopped:
AOLLaunch
Apoint
atiptaxx
ccApp
CeEKey
ctfmon
tfswctrl
AOLSoftware
IPHSend
NDSTray
PadExe
pinger
qttask
SmoothView
TCrtlIOHook
TFncKy
toscdspd
TPTray
TPSMain
ZoomingHook

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

What is atiptaxx.exe
Process name: ATI Desktop Control Panel
Product: ATI Desktop Component
Company: ATI Technologies, Inc.
File: atiptaxx.exe
It's a utility for ATI video cards. (is your video adapter working properly now?)

apoint - apoint.exe –
Process File: apoint or apoint.exe
Process Name: Alps Pointing-device Driver
Description:
apoint.exe is a component of the drivers for your Alps Touchpad. This process should not be removed to ensure that your touchpad works properly.

ccapp - ccapp.exe
Process File: ccapp or ccapp.exe
Process Name: Symantec Common Client CC App
Description:
[_file_name] is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. [%r_keep%]

Your av function is partially disabled!

Note: [_file_name] could also be a process belonging to an advertising program by [_name]. [%f_monitors_browser_habits%] [%f_adpopups%] [%r_risk_remove%]

Recommendation for ccapp.exe:
Should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.

ceekey.exe
ceekey.exe us a process associated with the Satellite E-Key software from Toshiba.
Author: TOSHIBA Corp. Part Of: Toshiba Satellite E-Key
Ctfmon
ctfmon - ctfmon.exe
ctfmon.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Office Suite. It activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the
Microsoft Office XP Language Bar.

tfswctrl - tfswctrl.exe - Process Information
Process File: tfswctrl or tfswctrl.exe
Process Name: HP DLA Packet Writing Software
Description:
tfswctrl.exe is an essential process for HP's packet writing software which burns data to CD's using Microsoft Windows explorer.
Author: Hewlett-Packard
Part Of: DLA Packet Writing Software

ndstray - ndstray.exe
Process File: ndstray or ndstray.exe
Process Name: Toshiba ConfigFree Traybar
Description:
ndstray.exe is the traybar process from the ConfigFree Traybar utility on Toshiba laptops. It allows you switch between network devices by clicking on the traybar icon.
Author: Toshiba
Part Of: Toshiba ConfigFree Traybar

padexe - padexe.exe - Process Information
Process File: padexe or padexe.exe
Process Name: Toshiba Touchpad Module
Description:
padexe.exe is a process installed alongside Toshiba Laptops and provides additional configuration options for the touchpad device. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Recommendation for padexe.exe:
Should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.
Part Of: Toshiba Multimedia

pinger - pinger.exe
Process File: pinger or pinger.exe
Process Name: TOSHIBA Pinger
Description:
pinger.exe is a task from Toshiba which regularly checks for software updates. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

smoothview - smoothview.exe - Process Information
Process File: smoothview or smoothview.exe
Process Name: TOSHIBA Zooming Utility
Description:
smoothview.exe is a process that belongs to the Zooming Utility from TOSHIBA. It is used to offer Zoom functionality in common application such as MS-Office.

TCrtlIOHook – can’t find process information on this – may be malware

tfncky.exe – tfncky
Description: tfncky.exe is a process from TOSHIBA Corp. It provides functionality for Function key (F1-F12) combinations on a Toshiba laptop computer.

Do you really want this disabled?????

toscdspd - toscdspd.exe
Description:
toscdspd.exe is a process associated with the Toshiba Laptop CD/DVD drivers.

tptray - tptray.exe
Process File: tptray or tptray.exe
Process Name: Toshiba Laptops Traybar Process

Description:
tptray.exe is a traybar process for Toshiba Laptops. It gives easy access to the configurations for the touchpad.

tpsmain - tpsmain.exe - Process Information
Process File: tpsmain or tpsmain.exe
Process Name: TOSHIBA Power Saver
Description:
tpsmain.exe is a process associated with Toshiba laptops/desktops. It manages the power save function to make sure that the system goes to a power saver mode when not used.

Without this enabled your battery will not last very long!

zoominghook - zoominghook.exe - Process Information
Process File: zoominghook or zoominghook.exe
Process Name: Zooming Utility Hotkey Hook
Description:
zoominghook.exe is a process associated with Toshiba Zooming Utility for Tablet PC. The Utility loads when windows starts up.
Part Of: Toshiba Zooming Utility

I looked up the above processes and aps in the Wintasks Process Library

Are you sure you want all of those disabled?
Have you noticed any malfunction in your computer since you disabled some of them – like your F keys not working?

You may have some malware.

I suggest that you Run The Windows OneCare Free Scan (on-line scan)

To run the Windows One Care Free Scan
Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan site using Internet Explorer.
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" offer on the right side.

Allow the download of an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, possibly two hours or so depending on the size of your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive may be.

After completing the Windows OneCare Free Scan run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program’s malware definitions before you reboot into safe mode to scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log in the “Hijack This” Logs and Analysis Forum for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis Logs and Analysis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions carefully.

Following the instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG THAT YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT LOGS AND ANALYSIS FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (i.e., what processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a short period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Posting your Hijack This log anywhere but in the Hijack This Logs and Analysis forum will delay their response as it will require a moderator to move the log there before the HJT Team will see it and it will fall behind other logs posted after yours was posted, so be sure to post your log in the Hijack This Logs and Analysis forum.

Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT Logs and Analysis forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any additional changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than as represented in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having had 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

After you post your log, please do not make any changes to your computer. Discontinue trying to delete anything with any program as changes will make your HJT log obsolete and waste valuable time spent by our HJT experts analyzing the log made inaccurate by changes and therefore their plan formulated to address the problems will also be obsolete.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Make sure you post your HJT log in the HJT forum, not here, because if you post it here in this forum the response from our HJT Team will be delayed because the post will have to be moved before they see it and it will fall in line behind many others posted that same day.

#13 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

To begin, I want to thank you for all this information.

I did check everything before turning it off. Anything I wasn't sure of I left on. I also checked each program in 3-4 different sites to make sure they all said the same thing.

I haven't noticed any change in my computer, except that the second time I restarted it after all the changes, the problem I was having with Works stopped.

I'm trying the Windows OneCare now, but my computer is going kind of slow because my MacAfee is running, as well.

Is the OneCare supossed to be installed? Or will it run from the internet? I'm ignorant to how that works.

I will get to the rest of your post as soon as the OneCare is done.

This was what I got for TCrtlIOHook:

tctrliohook.exe is the Toshiba Control Utility Hotkey Hook by Toshiba Corporation. If you have any information please e-mail us with the details at PL@uniblue.net.

Recommendation for tctrliohook.exe:
Not a critical component, but see the information above before disabling it.

*EDIT*
I tried downloading Ad Aware and my computer didn't know what to do with it. It gave me that box to choose what program to open it in.

Edited by FrancineZ, 20 October 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

Do you use the hotkeys on your Toshiba? If not, disable this program.

The Live Care scan will run from the internet - it will prompt you to install an ActiveX control.

#15 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:53 AM

No, I don't use hotkeys.

The OneCare isn't working for me. It's telling me to install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users