Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LoneWolf22113

LoneWolf22113

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hello! I am having problems with my PC. It freezes a lot and after doing sfc /scannow there seem to be some corrupted files that couldn't be fixed. Next I tried the DSIM.exe command after reading around about it, but that did not help, My PC still freezes pretty often, but only when I try to do something on my Hard Drive, on my external drive and pendrives there are no problems.

Just in case it's the worst scenario I backed up some of my stuff into the external drive.

I also attached both CBS and DISM log files, hopefully they can shine some light on this problem.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   9.91MB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  dism.log   95.48KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

A CBS log is unreadable. That's why the MS Support article tells you how to generate a TEXT file of its report:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Scroll down to the section

How to view details of the System File Checker process

If DISM was unable to repair corrupt system files, then you are left with a Windows 10 RESET (making sure for safety you SAVE any important data to an external drive)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026528/windows-reset-or-reinstall-windows-10

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hi LoneWolf,

The log show some errors creating files so you should run a disk check...

» Check the Disk for Errors

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the command:
    chkdsk /r /x C:
    Note: When it ask if you want to checked the volume next time the system restarts answer Yes
  • Restart the Computer and let the check run during boot. The scan can take a long time depending on the disk size...

Next,

• download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 September 2018 - 10:40 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hi, before running chkdsk we should inquire about the HDD, if it is a platter, or if it is a SSD. And we should never force ( /x force dismounts the drive) on the C: drive, if it has the OS on it, you run the risk of losing files that were opened at the time. Best to allow windows to schedule a chkdsk at boot, this protects you from problems. SSD's do not have bad sectors so the /r paramenter is not needed,   (still does 5 stages though) best to use spotfix or /f on SSD's.

Could you confirm what type (and manufacturer) of Drive you use? In addition to running a chkdsk, you may need to run a drive diagnostic util, Lancs, you would simply compound the problem if you used a bad drive to do a Reset, so we should investigate further.

Let us know about your drive, and we can have you run a safe chkdsk, in addition you should also (at an elevated cmd prompt run this cmd:- 

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%\  (press enter)

Edit:- I should have mentioned you do not need any third party app to read a chkdsk, open event viewer, expand windows logs and select application, on the right side select, filter current log. In the event source use the drop down arrow scroll to winnit, put a check next to it. The chkdsk log will open use the copy option to paste into a notepad and post this here.

Edited by jenae, 16 September 2018 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users