Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2016 Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

I am a student at a technical college and have received Windows Server 2016. In an attempt to learn more about it, I would like to install it on one of my PCs. The PC meets the requirements. I have Windows 10 presently on all PCs. Would it be best to just have Server 2016 on the PC? Or should I leave Windows 10 on it and install Server 2016? I thought about adding another HDD and use it for Server 2016.

Since this is new to me I felt it would be best to get input from those who know more about this. Any guidance on this matter or anything related would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

Probably the best way to install it is as a virtual machine. I don't know what version of Windows 10 you are running -- Hyper-V may or may not be an option. Other options are VMware Tools or VirtualBox.

I assume you'd like to install it to explore features, etc. The nice thing about a VM in this situation is if you break something, you can delete the VM and start over again. Plus you don't have to mess around with dual-boot scenarios.

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for the input. I will look into what you suggested.

#4 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

I checked the PC and it supports virtualization. I have Windows 10 Home (1803).

I have server 2016 datacenter iso and Hyper-V 2016 iso. Not sure but I think the procedure is install Hyper-v first, then install server, and then windows 10. First time so I don't really know. Should I partition the drive for each?

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:13 AM

That shouldn't be necessary. Just make sure you have enough free space on the host disk to provision the VMs.

#6 olegerus

olegerus

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

I checked the PC and it supports virtualization. I have Windows 10 Home (1803).

I have server 2016 datacenter iso and Hyper-V 2016 iso. Not sure but I think the procedure is install Hyper-v first, then install server, and then windows 10. First time so I don't really know. Should I partition the drive for each?

Yes

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

Also Beware installing a server operating system on a desktop motherboard (not using Hyper-V) you will run into Driver issues. Specifically the Network Adapter.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 November 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for responding to this post and my driver issue post. Will get back to post results soon.

#9 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:52 PM

use Vmware and run the server on that. Less risky 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users