Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drug Use/legalization, Etc..

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Well what do you all think? I think there are some drugs which can be legalized (marijuana, DXM, and LSD for example), but there is no way that all drugs could be legalized, there are some things just not meant for human consumption. What do you guys think about this? And finally, how would you go about legalizing if you are for it?
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Vancouver has 'free needles and shoot-up sites' (sorry, can't remember the proper name for them right now) - and it seems to be working - less people zoned out and flopped on the street, less Aids and infections spread through using dirty needles and thankfully, less needles found by children in the parks and playgrounds!

But for legalizing the drugs themselves, hmmm. For marijuana, apparently it's relatively 'harmless' and I suspect very much like alchohol - so would vote 'yes' (providing it the same laws applied - legal age or it's still against the law).

As for the more 'serious' drugs - I'd vote 'no'. I think if the police had a change to have a real say in this, they too may vote hands-down - if for no other reason that with drugs go gangs, violence, B & E's and on and on. And for police officers themself, apparently they are few things as truly terrifying as trying to 'take down' someone 'souped up on PCP, etc'.

Have no idea how individual citizens would go about 'legalizing drugs' - but then again, other than perhaps marijuana, I wouldn't want to. (Personally, I have a wee theory about life - we are not our diseases or physical bodies/appearances - nope, we are, in reality, our brains - and why anyone would want to risk messing this magical things up is a bit beyond me).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

I don't see why Pot isn't legal yet, it's no worse than having a drunk drive.. maybe better. What I can remember, 25mph seemed like flying!
As for LSD, no, don't want someone tripping behind the wheel, don't know what DXM is. Guess I'm too old.
And I don't know how you can get it legal, I thought that all the people from the 70's would be running Congress and have that taken care of by now. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

I really think marijuana should be legal. I'm not a pothead myself, but i do have a LOT of friends that smoke/have-smoked the stuff on a regular basis, and they're still completely normal. As others have said, i see that it's no worse than alcohol.

Of course, there would have to be rules. No driving under the influence of ANYTHING that impairs your reflexes or decisions.

As for the "harder" drugs, like crack, coke, meth, etc, i'm kind of split on a decision. If idiots want to shove that stuff into their own bodies, it doesn't affect me at all. However, if it's legalized, more people may take the chance and just see "what it's like" and completely destroy any possibility of leading a normal life...

#5 kbk

kbk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

DXM=Dextromethorphan (sp?) and it's the stuff in cough syrups and stuff. It's not technically illegal yet, but it's heading that way. I feel the same as you all do about the legalization of marijuana, and I feel the same as far as the 'hard' drugs go too. LSD though is a different issue, it fascinates me, I have no intention of ever using it, but I've been with people who are on it, and it's really amazing that a couple pieces of paper can make you go insane for 12 hours. I think LSD could be legalized, there would of course be an age limit, I don't think someone on LSD would be able to figure out how to even work a car let alone drive. As for DXM I think it should be legal as well, but with limitations on it, and I don't think one would be able to drive while on that either, I know I couldn't even leave my room because I was afraid of the hallway..

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

i believe that legalizing drugs is not that great of an idea. sure it makes you feel good, but it lasts a short period of time and in reality you are slowly killing yourself, or smoking yourself retarded. i know this stuff becuase some of my friends smoke pot now, and, jeez. i cant hang around with them any more its so rediculus they act so messed up and are jerks. not only that but alot more people would be tempted to say, its legal so it must be an ok thing! then more people would do it. not to mention that it would be ok for dealers to be around in the open selling, possibly imposing on someone elses territory starting a drugwar within the U.S.
i was talking to one of my friends and he said
"well it feels ok and it doesnt seem ba, it hasnt hurt me"
i told him " no, it hasnt hurt you yet. if you want something that makes you feel better while you kill yourself try youthenasia"
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Cigarettes and alcohol are legal, and are FAR from "good" for you, or even "neutral" for you. Again, people have the choice as to whether or not that use them, so why shouldn't they be legal?

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

As for the "harder" drugs, like crack, coke, meth, etc, i'm kind of split on a decision. If idiots want to shove that stuff into their own bodies, it doesn't affect me at all. However, if it's legalized, more people may take the chance and just see "what it's like" and completely destroy any possibility of leading a normal life...

No but people all "out of it" can pick up a gun and kill somebody.
Peoples lives are ruined by drugs. We have a relative who can still think and drive but he isnt all there. He is not handicapped but is you know not like us.

Cigarettes and alcohol are legal, and are FAR from "good" for you, or even "neutral" for you. Again, people have the choice as to whether or not that use them, so why shouldn't they be legal?

Drugs and alcohol are very different. Like comparing apples to oranges.

Cigs and Beer well they dont cause you to see things and fry your brain. If your drunk the effects wear off after a while if you take to much METH you can die or be a "dummy" for the rest of your life.

Legalizing those drugs so kids can get it is like giving a 2 year old a loaded gun. They wont know what "toooo much" is and they will ruin there lives.

Its very addictive.

EFFECTS OF MARIJUANA
http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/effects-of-marijuana.htm

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 19 October 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Personally I laugh about marijuana being illegal. :thumbsup:

Look at some movies, TV shows, they talk about it, and portray it in more and more occurrences it is hysterical!.

Also, so many still do marijuana, and if I remember correctly the average amount of people still do it.

Mexico recently legalized small possessions of certain drugs, including marijuana for personal use.(Source)

I think the "war on drugs," is another waste of money. We fighting a way that will never end. People will continue to use it, and the government HAS TO REALIZE that people will do transactions without paying taxes.

You don't pay taxes for a side job, when you are payed via paypal...

Why do you think the government wants to make gambling illegal? It's not about your addiction, it's about the money. All congress and the government sees is $

EDIT: Alcohol and cigarettes are just as addictive as marijuana. Look at the alcoholism in our country, and how much money the tobacco companies make off of people's addiction. :flowers:

Edited by yano, 19 October 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#10 kbk

kbk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

[quote name='cowsgonemadd3' date='Oct 19 2006, 11:37 PM' post='377438']
[quote]EFFECTS OF MARIJUANA
http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/effects-of-marijuana.htm
[/quote]

I agree with what you had to say about legalizing drugs like meth and things like that, however, those "effects" of marijuana, don't happen with every user. It effects everyone differently, such as, I've never hallucinated, nor do I know anyone who has hallucinated from marijuana use, most people I know who smoke can still drive cars, I only know one person who has anxiety or panic attacks and that is because of a pre-existing condition. Also, the cancer thing has been disproven, {Source}. It is less harmful for your body (overall) than smoking tabacco, and although more addictive than alcohol, it doesn't effect your judgement and thinking ability for nearly as long as alcohol does. I also know people who smoke every day and if/when they run out they aren't all of a sudden unable to pay attention and whatnot, they do just fine.. Almost everyone I know who smokes is either passing school or doing better than me in school..

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

In case anyone is interested, this topic has been covered here as well:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;hl=marijuana

:thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 21 October 2006 - 10:18 AM.

Posted Image

#12 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

NO NEVER!!! THEY SHOLDNT LEGALIZED DRUGS!!! Whats it gonna bring to the streets? more gang violence...more innocent deaths...more homocides, gang wars and it'll be TOTAL CHAOS. Drugs make you do crazy things as you know and if it gets legalized...ur gonna have pot heads all over the streets...robbing you or jumping you at any time possible..legalizing drugs would be a HUGE MISTAKE.

#13 kbk

kbk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

NO NEVER!!! THEY SHOLDNT LEGALIZED DRUGS!!! Whats it gonna bring to the streets? more gang violence...more innocent deaths...more homocides, gang wars and it'll be TOTAL CHAOS. Drugs make you do crazy things as you know and if it gets legalized...ur gonna have pot heads all over the streets...robbing you or jumping you at any time possible..legalizing drugs would be a HUGE MISTAKE.

Are you kidding? It would reduce gang violence because it would remove drug dealers from the streets (although crack/coke/meth/H/E dealers would probably still be around if only marijuana was legalized). Also, I don't know anyone who has EVER gone crazy from smoking grass, at least not to the point of killing people or anything. Everything you just said you probably heard in highschool/middleschool health class, show me some stats of people getting stoned and going on crazy rampages.. I'd love to see it.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

Are you kidding? It would reduce gang violence because it would remove drug dealers from the streets (although crack/coke/meth/H/E dealers would probably still be around if only marijuana was legalized). Also, I don't know anyone who has EVER gone crazy from smoking grass, at least not to the point of killing people or anything. Everything you just said you probably heard in highschool/middleschool health class, show me some stats of people getting stoned and going on crazy rampages.. I'd love to see it.

Not just the one drug but the really bad ones.

It wouldnt remove them from the street. It would PUT THEM On the street in the OPEN selling it freely as kids fry there brains and people kill each other.

Marajuana will mess you up to. Saying it wont is crazy. Drugs arent meant for the body. Over time something will happen.

#15 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

That's why people are selling cigarettes and alcohol on every street corner.....

Back in the days of prohibition, there WERE places selling alcohol illegally, in back alleys and "speak easies". Once it became legal again, it was once again controlled.... well, to the best of the authorities ability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users