Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update error 0x800f0922

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

My windows 10 laptop keeps trying to install this update -  August 14, 2018—KB4343897 (OS Build 16299.611)

and producing the error code - 0x800f0922

It then takes 20 mins for it to go back to the previous version. Then when it boots up normally, windows update finds the same update again and wont allow me to shut down the laptop unless it installs the update. Then obviously I go round in the same circle again when I switch it back on and it is getting on my nerves!

I've tried sfc /scannow - didn't help.

Checked NET framework - no problems

Tried Reset Windows Update Agent - didn't help

I read somewhere that the error code can mean that I have run out of room in the system reserve partition. I have tried uninstalling loads off stuff off the computer but I get the same error code. Can I change the size of the system reserve partition or delete files in it? I used dskmgmt.msc but there is no disk showing System Reserve.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:08 PM

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter first.

When that has finished RESTART your system.
Next manually download that specific KB from here - making sure you choose the one for YOUR system and archirecture - they are all labelled:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4343897

Run the KB update manually via 'Run as administrator'

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

Are you still on Version 1709?  If so, and the previous advice does not solve your problem, I would strongly recommend updating to Version 1803, which you can do by going to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page page and employing the Update Assistant (triggered by the Update this PC button).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'm on version 1709.

I'm just downloading the update via the link you sent. Didn't realise I could do this ;)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

Let us know how it turns out.

By now everyone should be on Version 1803, as the roll-out is long over.   I realize that there is always some small group of machines that somehow gets left out, and I would not recommend doing this were it in the early weeks of the roll-out of a major feature update, but Version 1803 is about as ironed out as it's going to get and when there are problems with Windows Update that involve not having moved along to the next feature update in a timely manner doing it manually often fixes all the issues (at least for some period of time).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

Will do and thanx  :thumbup2:

#7 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:20 AM

Are you still on Version 1709?  If so, and the previous advice does not solve your problem, I would strongly recommend updating to Version 1803, which you can do by going to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page page and employing the Update Assistant (triggered by the Update this PC button).

Hi.

Well that didn't go to plan. It installed all ok but when it came to restart, it just froze. I left it overnight but in the morning it was on the same screen and wouldn't respond. Had to do a forced shut down with the power button. On restart it just says it is going back to previous version of windows. I then did everything from scratch again and it did exactly the same. Therefore it looks like I won't be able to upgrade to the newest version :(  :(

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

Were I you I would:

• take a full system image backup

• back up my user data,

• use something like Belarc Advisor to get an inventory of installed programs,

• gather any necessary installers,

then put all those aside for use after Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

You have done everything I can think of prior to having to go with doing a new Windows 10 installation from scratch.  There is something very corrupt in your existing system if you cannot successfully apply the next feature update, and you will have to eventually do this, as your version is next to go out of support.

The only other thing you might try, and I question whether it would work but all you lose is time if you try it, is Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files

NOTE:  You do NOT need to follow the instruction regarding turning off Secure Boot.  It is superfluous.  It is doubtful in my mind that it would work as what you tried with the Update Assistant is supposed to be doing precisely the same thing.

There may be someone who can help you to do the sleuthing to eventually determine what's wrong but the amount of effort that is likely to require is as much or more than starting with a clean slate, which I personally think is the better option and safer over the long term.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users