Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP HELP ! PANDA ATTACK ! !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DayDreamer10

DayDreamer10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hi Folks,
I got a new ( reconditioned ) laptop off Ebay its a Dell Latitude Windows 7 .. Pleased with its smart looks, wanting to keep it nice n free of spyware etc, so after a lot of reading up chose a free antivirus called Panda Security...

Turns out, Panda was putting spyware on my comp, the rotter !  .. :ranting:

I have attempted to delete all files of  Panda Security by use of -  Revo Uninstaller, however, Panda search remains on my comp.  I have installed Malwarebytes, which puts up a warning as follows -

" Your Premium trial blocked this website because it may contain malware. We strongly recommend you do not continue.... " yet, unfortunately, though it got rid of a couple of pups, it wont delete the Pesky Panda !   :(

I have, also, downloaded Spyhunter 5 which states my computer is infected with - "My Stats Social Toolbar "  which, I can only assume is another name for Panda Security ?   But I don't wish to purchase Spyhunter  ...   I am ~¨ Supremely, untechy, and have run out of easy options of how to get rid of this, this,this ...annoyance ! ... trying to keep my cool ... :angry:

Can anyone give me, in some nice as easy peasy babysteps as poss please, as to how to relieve my comp of the dreaded Panda Security Pretender  ?   :thumbdown:

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2018 - 05:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

Panda doesn't put spyware or viruses on your system. You got it some other way. But if you want Malware experts to analyse your system, then this is the wrong forum.

The correct forum is:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-help/

BUT you must read and follow the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

before posting.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

RichardLancs is correct, in all respects.

If you downloaded from https://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/ the probability of Panda having anything to do with anything other than identifying issues is virtually nil.  They are a well known and respected brand.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

Panda Free will attempt to install adware. In the past it changed home page to Yahoo and Installed something called Security bar.

I don't know what it attempts to install today.

You can look at your browser extensions and your settings for your home page to discover what has been installed. If that is

not successful then you should start a new topic in the malware removal forum by following instructions below.

You should use Revo to uninstall any free programs you have installed that require purchase before removing what they found.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

To be crystal clear: Panda free or pro has three options, at the time of installation, to install search engine and toolbars that can be simply ignored by UNCHECKING those boxes. They are not forced on any user. In that sense Panda is not one jot different to every other well known security software that wants to install toolbars, search engine defaults etc. Only users who can't be bothered to look at the screen will get them even if they didn't want them. That's nothing new.

It's not malware and it's not even adware as such.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

Indeed.

The loathsome practice of bundling is almost ubiquitous these days for free software, but I have yet to see an installer that does not have a dedicated window stating that it intends to install "recommended programs" or something similar and having checkboxes you can uncheck if you don't want them.  Panda is a reputable company, it is not malware nor are the bundled programs malware, though they may be annoying.

I have been recommending that everyone use Unchecky for several years because, while it's not 100%, it is very, very good at detecting when these screens appear in installers and unchecking all of those checkboxes.  Even when using Unchecky it is up to the end user to do their due diligence when running any installer.  None, including paid software, should be trusted to do just what you want them to do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 DayDreamer10

DayDreamer10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

Many thanx to you, Richard, Brit and Buddy..for your turbo speed response to my dilema.. :love4u:

.Apologies for throwing stones at the Panda too ! ... :oopsign:

Growwwllll...now I'm running for dear life as the big shaggy creature ( who is not,at all, amused )  opens its jaws in my direction...Heeeeeelp !   ...

I will get clicking on those links asap... if the Panda don't eat me first ..... :(

#8 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

After cleaning up, choose a new free A-V from here.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:41 PM

It is hilarious that the PC Mag article spouts the nonsense, "you shouldn't rely on Microsoft's security tools. Many free third-party security apps are more effective at keeping you safe."

They apparently don't bother looking at the very test results they claim to follow.  The most recent test results are at the links below.  Pay attention to where Windows Defender falls into the mix.  It's nowhere near the bottom and it's often near the top.   The current iteration of Windows Defender consistently tests well, and often in the top 10.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/june-2018/

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/ 

[Chart on Pg. 5]  https://selabs.uk/download/consumers/epp/2018/apr-jun-2018-consumer.pdf

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/MRG-Effitas-2018Q2-360-Assessment.pdf 

[Chart on Pg 8]

And take a look at the archival material from the past few years if you want to see how often Windows Defender lands near the top.

Edited by britechguy, 18 September 2018 - 10:46 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

I read every one of those links. WD certainly doesn't come at the bottom but almost never reaches much past the middle. Several free AV programs do.

Also important (in any software where there are multiple choices) is how it feels using it to that specific user. Which is why they should test them for a few weeks.

That's why it should be a simple CHOICE for the user, hopefully ignoring those who say 'avoid WD' or 'only use WD'. They are both ridiculous.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

I read every one of those links. WD certainly doesn't come at the bottom but almost never reaches much past the middle. Several free AV programs do.

Also important (in any software where there are multiple choices) is how it feels using it to that specific user. Which is why they should test them for a few weeks.

That's why it should be a simple CHOICE for the user, hopefully ignoring those who say 'avoid WD' or 'only use WD'. They are both ridiculous.

If you look at the details the difference between "the top" and "the middle" is often negligible or directly dependent on what the given testers decide to give weight to.  That's why, while antivirus tests are quite useful, the rankings are far less so.

I agree that either extreme is ridiculous.  That being said, I have seldom seen any user that is not "click crazy" and who has developed safe interaction habits with cyberspace for whom Microsoft Security Essentials (in that era) and the vastly improved Windows Defender of the Windows 8 and 10 era are not far more than adequate protection.

There are endless threads on "what's the best antivirus," and no one explains better why this is a very difficult or impossible question to answer once you get past "very good" than our own Quietman7 in, Reflections on Antivirus/Antimalware Testing & Comparisons.

These two additional articles by the same article are must reads, too:

~ Brian Vogel

#12 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:23 AM

OP is running Windows 7, right? So no new w10 Windows Defender available for him/her.

Windows 7 support ending in 2020 and the need for a third party AV are two powerful reasons for jumping wagon to Windows 10. Some people are staying behind because of some bad mouthing about Windows 10 being too different in usage when compared to Windows 7.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 20 September 2018 - 02:24 AM.

#13 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:29 AM

No, Windows Defender has never provided enough protection in Windows 7. That's crystal clear. Microsoft Security Essentials was the available extra in Windows XP, Vista and 7 but 3rd party AV apps have always been a more secure addition.

Edited by RichardLancs, 20 September 2018 - 02:30 AM.

#14 Malcolmer

Malcolmer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:27 AM

Why do people choose unknown antiviruses when there are good ones like avast or built-in Microsoft antivirus?

You'd better learn more about the program before installing to avoid such cases.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

Under Windows 7 what was then (and still is, in that milieu) called Windows Defender was not an anti-virus/security suite, but a firewall, so we're definitely in the "my bad" territory for my not having noticed the fact that the OP has Windows 7.

I have nothing against any number of third party products and have used AVG, Avast, and Panda Cloud at points in the past before and even during the early Windows 10 era.  I see no point in them now as Windows Defender routinely ends up in the Top 10 in antivirus tests and the differences between top 10 finishers is negligible and their positions often change from test cycle to test cycle.  Not only that, but where a given product lands when it's top-tier is more a function of specifics of the given test methodology than overall real-world effectiveness.

I agree that anyone who is choosing to remain in the Windows ecosystem and who is not insane enough to even consider using a version of Windows no longer supported by Microsoft as their "daily driver" operating system had better update to Windows 10, and soon, as January 2020 is just around the corner.

The instructions for Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files  (NOTE:  You do NOT need to follow the instruction regarding turning off Secure Boot.  It is superfluous.) can be used to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it's just that the "pre-run-setup.exe" steps take place in the Windows 7 environment.

Edited by britechguy, 20 September 2018 - 08:56 AM.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users