Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MemTest 86 to test Ram on XP

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ineed2know

Ineed2know

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

Greetings All,

Had a computer crash about a month ago due to my setting a registry value incorrectly. Retrieved files and started fresh with XP again on formatted 1tb sata drive.

Dell desktop

Firefox 52.9 Browser

1 TB SATA HD

Win XP SP3

2GB ram (4 sticks)

3.2 ghz processor

Plenty of hd space

New installation of XP

dual monitors (extended desktop)

separate Video card

Defragged

Power supply very sufficient

I have downloaded Ramtest 86 to check on my ram and not sure what I am reading...Please see attached picts.

What I have noticed is that my computer is having difficulty in loading pages and/or executing programs and sometimes the video graphics load slowly such as on the desktop icons. Have used Crap-Killer to clean out computer also.

I have tinkered with the allotted memory windows uses to no real change in performance....I have installed "VMWare Workstation" to install Win 7 (virtually) and it loads like molasses if it loads at all...I have made adjustments in ram allocations for that also but, no real performance changes, especially when attempting to load Win 7.

I downloaded the memtest program and not sure what the heck I am reading or, if the program would shut itself down after test(s) are completed...I have looked at the docs and they to me are inconclusive.....

Is my ram;

crapped out,

weak,

on it's way out or,

tests not completed yet (remember, I have (500) sticks of ram = 2gigs).

**SHOULDN'T THERE BE 4 INDIVIDUAL TESTS BEING THAT THERE ARE 4 STICKS RAM?**

Attached Files

Edited by Ineed2know, 14 September 2018 - 10:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:21 AM

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-RAM-with-MemTest86

It's important to rember that Memtest will test any RAM currently installed...and that running Memtest  tests 2 different items, the RAM and the slots/modules in which the RAM is installed.

IMO...the proper way to test is to leave all RAM sticks in initially...if test results reveal no problems, then it can be assumed that there is no problem.

If there are any errors...with all RAM installed...then it becomes a case of testing each individual RAM stick in each motherboard slot.  Tedious though it is, such will help define the problem creating the errors.

If the individual modules successfully negotiate all tests made individually in each module...yet all RAM sticks tested together still produce errors...it's time to start testing pairs of RAM sticks in the motherboard slots.

Ad infinitum until the problem is nailed down.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#3 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

**NOTE - CAPS ARE NOT YELLING AND ONLY SERVE TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS OF THE CONVERSATION**

THANKS FOR REPLY!

It's important to rember that Memtest will test any RAM currently installed

YES, I AM AWARE

...and that running Memtest  tests 2 different items, the RAM and the slots/modules in which the RAM is installed.

OK

IMO...the proper way to test is to leave all RAM sticks in initially..

I HAVE AND AM DOING THAT AS I SEE NO OTHER WAY TO DO IT.

.if test results reveal no problems, then it can be assumed that there is no problem.

AS IN MY CASE?..I WAS NOT SURE IF TEST WAS FOR ALL 4 STICKS OR JUST 1 STICK

If there are any errors...with all RAM installed...then it becomes a case of testing each individual RAM stick in each motherboard slot.  Tedious though it is, such will help define the problem creating the errors.

SEE ABOVE - NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GET 4 TEST RESULTS OR JUST 1 AND, WAS NOT SURE HOW LONG TESTING RAM TAKES...I SEE A BAR GRAPH THAT SAYS PERCENTAGES OF TEST BUT AGAIN, ON ONE OR ALL STICKS?

If the individual modules successfully negotiate all tests made individually in each module...yet all RAM sticks tested together still produce errors...it's time to start testing pairs of RAM sticks in the motherboard slots.

ONLY TESTED 4 IN SLOTS IN COMPUTER...I SEE RESULTS LISTED AS "L1, L2, L3 CACHE...IS THAT AN INDICATION AS TO EACH SLOT/RAM STICK BECAUSE IF IT IS, I WOULD HAVE 1 STICK DEAD OR NOT SEATED.

Ad infinitum until the problem is nailed down.

???

Louis

Edited by Ineed2know, 14 September 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

I think your biggest problem is that your trying to run XP in 2018. Not impossible and with your specs. XP should run fine except running Windows 7 in VM. I can understand why that's not going to work

Have you installed all of your drivers, especially the chipset and video?

#5 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

I think your biggest problem is that your trying to run XP in 2018.

I RUN WHAT I RUN - THAT DOESN'T ADDRESS THE PROBLEM...IF XP WORKS FINE IN MY COMPUTER AND CONFIGURATION (UP TILL NOW) IT SHOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE....XP WILL WORK FINE IN YEAR 2050 WITH THIS COMPUTER EXCEPT FOR IF SITES CHANGE THERE OS "ADMITTANCE", IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN.THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

Not impossible and with your specs.

YES, I KNOW - COMPUTER WAS "SLOWING" A BIT SO, I BELIEVE OVER TIME THAT "JUST SIMPLY HAPPENS".....WAS GOING T REFORMAT IT BUT THE CRASH (AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED) MOVED IT UP A BIT.

XP should run fine except running Windows 7 in VM.

FUNNY, I HAD THE EXACT SAME SETUP AND SPECS AND NOT ONLY DID I HAVE XP AS A PRIMARY" OS, BUT, HAD 7, ME, AND VISTA AS VM OPERATING SYSTEMS AND IT ALL WORKED FINE.

I can understand why that's not going to work

SEE ABOVE

Have you installed all of your drivers, especially the chipset and video?

YES, OF COURSE

Edited by Ineed2know, 14 September 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

I SEE RESULTS LISTED AS "L1, L2, L3 CACHE.....Shouldn't it be "L1, L2, L3, L4 CACHE".

IS THAT AN INDICATION AS TO EACH SLOT/RAM STICK BECAUSE IF IT IS, I WOULD HAVE 1 STICK DEAD OR NOT SEATED.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

If this is a dell from the early to mid  2000's you'll want to check the capacitors on the motherboard.  Dell was notorious for a multitude of boards with bad caps back then, and failing caps could cause the issue's your experiencing today. Look for brown crusty stuff on the tops, the tops of the caps are supposed to be flat, it they look rounded on the top or bubbled up with cracks on the tops you'll need to replace those caps if you want to keep using that board

bad_acp.jpg

Edited by Joe C, 14 September 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:07 AM

**NOTE - CAPS ARE NOT YELLING AND ONLY SERVE TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS OF THE CONVERSATION**

Just as a friendly note, on a forum that gives you the ability to use bold, italic, and distinct font colors any one of those used alone or in combination would be preferable to all caps.   All caps has a very commonly known meaning in online venues, and it's best to avoid it whenever possible.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

If this is a dell from the early to mid  2000's you'll want to check the capacitors on the motherboard.  Dell was notorious for a multitude of boards with bad caps back then, and failing caps could cause the issue's your experiencing today. Look for brown crusty stuff on the tops, the tops of the caps are supposed to be flat, it they look rounded on the top or bubbled up with cracks on the tops you'll need to replace those caps if you want to keep using that board

bad_acp.jpg

If this is a dell from the early to mid  2000's you'll want to check the capacitors on the motherboard.  Dell was notorious for a multitude of boards with bad caps back then, and failing caps could cause the issue's your experiencing today. Look for brown crusty stuff on the tops, the tops of the caps are supposed to be flat, it they look rounded on the top or bubbled up with cracks on the tops you'll need to replace those caps if you want to keep using that board.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY,

I am an electrician by trade, degree in electronics, Ham radio repair and build, etc, etc so, I AM aware of all this and I have done a cursory exam of MB....I just did my outside ac unit (hold multiple licenses for refrigerants, etc) with a defective dual run cap.

#10 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

Just as a friendly note, on a forum that gives you the ability to use bold, italic, and distinct font colors any one of those used alone or in combination would be preferable to all caps.   All caps has a very commonly known meaning in online venues, and it's best to avoid it whenever possible.

Thanks for the reply........and I take it in a friendly manner and, my "CAPS" are as explained in my initial posts as "not yelling" as my disclaimer indicates.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply........and I take it in a friendly manner and, my "CAPS" are as explained in my initial posts as "not yelling" as my disclaimer indicates.

I understand, and saw your disclaimer, but those very easily can and do often get "lost in the mix" and even more so if another poster quotes a portion of a message where the disclaimer has been trimmed.

What you did with your own, Thanks for the reply portion of your reply is just far less likely to ruffle anyone's feathers unnecessarily and is no more difficult to do than all caps and bolding.  In fact, it's slightly easier.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

Nobody can answer the question previously stated below?

"I SEE RESULTS LISTED AS "L1, L2, L3 CACHE.....Shouldn't it be "L1, L2, L3, L4 CACHE". IS THAT AN INDICATION AS TO EACH SLOT/RAM STICK BECAUSE IF IT IS, I WOULD HAVE 1 STICK DEAD OR NOT SEATED."

Shouldn't it be "L1, L2, L3, L4 CACHE" ??

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

"I SEE RESULTS LISTED AS "L1, L2, L3 CACHE.....Shouldn't it be "L1, L2, L3, L4 CACHE". IS THAT AN INDICATION AS TO EACH SLOT/RAM STICK BECAUSE IF IT IS, I WOULD HAVE 1 STICK DEAD OR NOT SEATED."

No, cache is small amounts of extremely fast performance enhancing memory arranged in levels (L1, L2...) according to proximity to the CPU core(s). It has become common for processors to have Level1, Level2 and Level3 cache, and since faulty cache would provoke memory errors, it has to be tested for integrity as part of the procedure. A P4, being an older CPU, doesn't have L3 cache.

As hamluis commented, Memtest tests whatever RAM is present in a system (as a bulk memory block). The screen images show 2GB of RAM being tested, if a single stick of RAM was being processed it would indicate 512MB.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 Ineed2know

Ineed2know
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

AHHHHH, now i understand!....Thanks....Looks like I will be testing each individual stick one at a time and go from there.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

Has Memtest reported any memory errors? It will run as long as you leave it, tests are often left running 12 or 24 hours for a thorough examination of all bit patterns.

As per hamluis' comment, since the entire memory is being tested, testing of individual sticks normally relates to isolating the location of a reported error. Or if Memtest finds no fault, but system behavior still suggests memory, taking alternate sticks and combinations thereof out of the system and observing any change.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users