Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What RAM to buy and how to install?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 michellepace

michellepace

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hi there. I have a very old machine. When I open multiple tabs in firefox or two many programs - my computer gets really slow. Rather than buying a new computer I'd like to try and upgrade the RAM myself. My current RAM, motherboard, cpu specs are: www.michellepace.com/RAM.png

Question 1: Is more ram going to help?

I know I have a real donkey of a machine. But considering my problem (a real slow down of my PC if I open too many things) - - is it likely to be fixed by getting more RAM?

Question 2: How do I know what RAM will work on my computer?

Is it as simple as just ensuring it is "DD3" RAM and then trying to get as many Gb as possible for a price I can afford? This is where I am looking: https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/memory-ram/desktop-memory/shopby/ddr3

Question 3: How do I install it?

Is it as simple as opening up the tower and then just plugging it in?

Thanks very much in advance,

Michelle

Attached Files

• Attached File  RAM.png   445.62KB   0 downloads

Edited by michellepace, 13 September 2018 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Go to the website for your country on Crucial.com and use its memory scanner.

That should tell you exactly what type of RAM stick fits your system, and should tell you what  the maximum that system's Motherboard can take.

You should only use matching slots.
You can buy Ram sticks everywhere - Amazon and eBuyer can often be the cheapest.

You can get great video guides to adding/replacing Ram on Youtube - but you need to get one specific to what you have - a desktop PC or a laptop.

If you have the exact full model name/number of your system you can get the exact specs on that system's web page.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

pc3-12800 cas 11 is what listed in the photo

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Hello michellepace,

As you currently only have 4GB (2 X 2GB 1600MHz sticks) adding more will help.

MB specs here

2 X 2GB sticks of this RAM

How to Install RAM

NB: Your Speccy info shows that you are using onboard graphics, this also uses system memory which will impact performance, more RAM will help with this.

#5 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hello gentlemen, thank you all for your replies.

PhillPower2, thanks your reply really helps as Ill end up purchasing my RAM from wootware.co.za. Could you perhaps suggest a RAM product which will work for me more than 2GB? If I get 2x8GB will I need to also replace the existing RAM?

On a final question, do I can learn, how do I ascertain if a certain RAM product will work on my machine? What aspects do I look at? Number of pins? DD3? Anything else?

(And thank you Richard I will go to crucial.com but right now Im not near the machine)

#6 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Just to add to my comment above, will two of these (giving me 16 gig) work on my particular motherboard? And then I can just remove the 2x2GB currently installed?

https://www.wootware.co.za/kingston-hx316c10fb-8-hyper-x-black-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3-cl10-240pin-1-5v-desktop-memory.html

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hello michellepace,

When I open multiple tabs in firefox or two many programs - my computer gets really slow.

Can I ask what the programs are to which you refer, you are presently running them using the integrated graphics and if you can do this ok it further supports that 8GB of RAM would be the appropriate amount for you.

On a final question, do I can learn, how do I ascertain if a certain RAM product will work on my machine? What aspects do I look at? Number of pins? DD3? Anything else?

In this instance you would cross reference the information that you have in Speccy with the product information at wootware.co.za.

Once we know what programs you run we will be better placed to advise you as to the best/least expensive option.

You are welcome btw  :)

#8 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:28 AM

Can I ask what the programs are to which you refer, you are presently running them using the integrated graphics and if you can do this ok it further supports that 8GB of RAM would be the appropriate amount for you.

Hi PhillPower2, I am running stock standard programs 95% of the time: (Office 2013 - Excel, Outlook, Word), Snagit, FireFox, Internet Explorer.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

Your present 4GB of RAM is adequate for your use.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:52 AM

Your present 4GB of RAM is adequate for your use.

I share the same opinion and I think that if the computer supports adding an SSD + the existent HDD the OP will notice a big speed improvement.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help. I'm posting the solution I ended up using in the hope it helps someone else, it turns out to be super easy:

My Solution to finding and adding RAM... its not rocket science:

1. Find the model number of your motherboard (Download and run Speccy... you'll see output as shown in my original post, wwww.michellepace.com/RAM.png)

2. Go to the Kingston website (or Crucial) and paste in your motherboard model number, just like here

3. Buy whatever RAM that suits your budget (the higher the MHz number the better, the higher the Gb number the better, the LOWER the "CL" number the better)

4. Open your PC box, take out the old RAM and plonk in the new RAM. (if you're adding RAM into empty slots - then make sure the new RAM has the same MHz number as your existing RAM)

5. Switch your computer on, reboot it for good measure.

6. Ta-da!! My computer runs MUCH better. I now have (2 x 8Gb) of RAM (speed 1600Mhz) in place of the old 2 x 2GB RAM (which I removed completely. Even though they're the same speed the brand and size don't match... so I'm nervous to keep them in.

7. I'm cooking on gas. I easily switch through programs without things freezing, and the computer can finally keep up with my typing speed.

8. Hooray!

Probably things can get more complicated. But for me this worked. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Michelle

Edited by michellepace, 16 September 2018 - 07:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users