Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop CPU/ MEMORY/ DISK 100% Usage

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

Allan :wink:

First of all, nobody takes responsibility for anyone's post except for the person who posts it.

Second, we respond to every legitimate question, regardless of how many posts the person has.

Third, let's not toss around the word "ignorant", shall we?

Fourth, if this is the most anal thread you've ever read, you need to read more threads.

And last, if you have nothing helpful to contribute to a thread, it may be best if you don't post.

Just my ignorant thoughts :)

Edited by Allan, 14 September 2018 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

I can not believe this thread is real, This has got to be the most anal thread I have ever witnessed in my entire life. How can BC and your Advisor Mr. Allen take responsibility for a post made by someone with a post count of 8?  Then act like the people here are so ignorant that they need to be told by Mr. Allen that he and BC are personally is not responsible even though that is the first post that Mr. Allen has made in this thread???

This is insanity

Quite honestly...I fail to see just what your post...contributes to this topic.  Your personal opinions...re a given topic, a given poster, the size of the universe, etc...you are entitled to such.  Interjecting such into a topic posted by a member...does nothing to respond to the topics/issues raised by the OP and the ensuing valid comments/responses from members who are trying to provide useful, helpful information.

Louis

#33 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

In the second post, mikey11 suggested a hard drive test, I believe this would be a good idea. A drive with bad blocks can cause 100% cpu usage and 100% disk usage at random for no reason. These can also cause programs to load extremely slow and cause the computer overall to be much slower than normal. A speccy report should grab your storage devices attributes and if anything sticks out, I can recommend another test. For now, see if you can follow the instructions below posted by hamluis. 

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#34 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Momentary fluctuations in CPU and RAM usage...are quite normal and mean nothing in particular, other than the system resources are (monetarily) in use.

Unless Task Manager reflects sustained use of resources on a given program/process...it's nothing to be concerned about.

It is common for Chrome (or any other browser)...and system security programs...to reflect a peak RAM usage of something up to 300MB or so.  Depending on the webpage scripts, ads, etc...browser process usage may fluctuate to maybe 500MB peak RAM.  Peak RAM usage in excess of 500MB...may indicate a problem.

I would like a static photo of Task Manager, not a video.  No one has any need to watch momentary changes in Task Manager.

Louis

#35 Invicte

Invicte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Your AV is quite busy from the video.I have had the best luck with Windows Defender for resource use lately. Though all of them will consume cpu and disk while running scans. With windows defender you can set what cpu% you want it to use, at least the last time I checked you could. With my N3700 chips I frequently see 80% to 90% cpu usage from google chrome, when streaming video I was always at 100% in windows 10, and the video often dropped quality or skipped, not due to internet speed either, my gaming rig running next to it at the same time would run flawlessly and my internet speed was only half used between both during my tests. I actually had slightly better luck with the edge browser built into windows 10 for youtube video. It used a bit less overall. Anything flash based website wise tends to use higher cpu % as well. I'd suggest leaving the computer on and make sure it completes all updates and virus scans and if at idle you are at 4-10% usage then see what happens. These cpus are not power houses unfortunately and my N3700 platforms feel pretty slow even on linux. Especially if you are coming from something significantly faster.

Thank you for your help, it was the AV who slowed my laptop while starting it, now its better, its starting faster.

#36 Invicte

Invicte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate and respect all of you for the time you spent to help people in need.

I've remove Avast and installed Bitdifender and now its way better, at start doesen't eat 60-100% of my CPU and its faster overall.

Thank you again, have a nice weekend!

#37 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

:thumbup2:

Happy computing :).

Louis

#38 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Good to hear - thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users