Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner automatically updated itself to 5.46

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

Re your 'EDIT' sentence.

Personally I don't care much what that Piriform person said. Do a simple internet search  and in the last 6 weeks there are few moaning entries, and reading 6-7 forums there are barely many posts about it.

I think it's safe to say the PiriForm guy knows more about who received the updates than we do.

Edited by BlackCurrent, 14 September 2018 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

I never said there were times people dont update for their own choice. But there are not that many reasons not to!

With CCleaner alone, users who updated to 5.33 too soon got a virus. Users who updated to 5.44 had a high probability of bricking Windows due to another serious flaw. So there's two reason for CCleaner alone why updating too soon wasn't desirable. I prefer waiting a few weeks to update some software - CCleaner is one - to see what issues users are reporting. Software like Windows and my AV program I want updates immediately. Point is, let the user choose or at the very least inform them that an update occurred!

Edited by BlackCurrent, 14 September 2018 - 01:56 PM.

#18 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

Those issues you raised were one year ago.

Personally, I've been running and maintaining dozens of Win 8 and 10 systems including CCleaner and apart from this one off issue this last month, I've never seen any problems with updates.

I agree someone can choose to delay update for a period of time after release, some do. But that's choice  As far as CCleaner is concerned I've been using it since it was actually called 'Crap Cleaner' and it's always been reliable. During that time there have been far far worse issues with multiple other software programs and Windows OSs.

#19 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Those issues you raised were one year ago.

The Windows bricking issue was in 5.44, two months ago. The monitoring issue was in 5.45, a mere month ago (it caused such an outrage they actually had to remove that version). Then of course the infamous virus issue. That was a bit longer ago but I think the point is made.

I agree someone can choose to delay update for a period of time after release, some do. But that's choice 

That's my point ... I did make a choice. I chose not to update, and it did. I don't know how I can make this any clearer. 

Other than that it's a good tool and I've been using it for a long time as well. I just don't want it updating itself if I asked it not to. 

#20 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

The forums (several I read) relating to 5.44 was a conflict with another security program.

That happens frequently and 100s of times compared to CCleaner issues.

Piriform removed 5.45 rapidly and I have not read any virus issues with that.

Basically it's right to be concerned about when to agree to install an update. And I agree I'm sure Piriform wont be forcing any further updates. It never happened to me, and apart from dozens of systems I maintain, it never happened on my three personal systems.

But this looks like a mountain being verbally created out of a molehill. Not based on comparable facts in software development and release.

Edited by RichardLancs, 14 September 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#21 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

But this looks like a mountain being verbally created out of a molehill.

Nobody's creating a mountain out of a molehill. I'm simply stating what I observed, and my concerns about it. If CCleaner updated itself with my permission I wouldn't even have posted this. That is literally my only concern (one which I'm sure most users would agree with). There has been enough major issues with CCleaner over the last year to not want it to auto-update. 

Edited by BlackCurrent, 14 September 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#22 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Lawrence Abrams (creator/owner of BleepingComputer) just posted a news story on this issue, complete with video showing the gory details.

So not only do they violate your trust by forcibly (and quietly) updating you against your wishes. They then violate your privacy by re-enabling sharing of usage data during the update. Unreal.

Glad to see the major tech sites picking this up now.

#23 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Refer back to other posts. We saw that ONE YEAR AGO. Nothing new.

The issues with CCleaner have been on all major tech sites all the time for years.

#24 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Refer back to other posts. We saw that ONE YEAR AGO. Nothing new.

The issues with CCleaner have been on all major tech sites all the time for years.

This isn't one single issue that happened a year, this is a series of issues that started a year ago and is ongoing. What part of that simple reality do you not understand? 

Martin Brinkman sums it up nicely:

CCleaner was a program that worked fine out of the box for years but that is not really the case anymore. While the cleaning works as good as it did years ago, recent decisions to push the monitoring functionality, introduce advertising popups for pro upgrades, hack, and analytics/privacy controversy have painted the program and the company in a bad light. The battle to win back user trust is an uphill one. 

Pretty much nails it. 

#25 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

I agree Piriform have made errors and I believe they have got the message.

Brinkman is talking crap that anything other than a tiny number of users have faced any remotely 'serious' problems.

I neither know who he is nor care. One opinion doesn't make a summer.

I've been maintaining systems with CCleaner on them for years.

This is now a pointless debate.

Good luck

Edited by RichardLancs, Yesterday, 02:46 PM.

#26 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

This is now a pointless debate.

Your lack of concern over CCleaner's numerous issues are duly noted. Lawrence (owner of BleepingComputer) and Martin Brinkman (owner of GHacks) feels differently about it, as do many other experts, but what do they know? Since this a "pointless debate" though, please feel free to stop replying. 

#27 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

:smash:

You are now inventing things so I'm going to leave you to argue the toss with yourself and I'm sure a calm chat with a friend will help.

#28 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

:smash:

You are now inventing things so I'm going to leave you to argue the toss with yourself and I'm sure a calm chat with a friend will help.

Okay then, see ya'!  :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users