Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner automatically updated itself to 5.46

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

I noticed that my CCleaner (standard free edition) automatically and completely silently updated itself from 5.43 to 5.46 despite having update checking, monitoring etc. unchecked. Anyone else experiencing this? There is a thread about it on their user forum here:

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52598-546-latest-version-unwanted-and-problems/

It looks like that emergency updater (CCUpdate.exe) they added a while back is no longer used for "emergencies" anymore. Sneaky!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

The default settings make an update automatic. Uninstall then Re-install it and uncheck the 'always look for updates' box during the install.

#3 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

The default settings make an update automatic. Uninstall then Re-install it and uncheck the 'always look for updates' box during the install.

I actually had that setting un-checked. Also I have free/non-premium version.

It appears that this updated occured via CCUpdate.exe (added in 5.36) that runs via a task in the Task Scheduler. It's initial purpose was to add the ability to forcefully install "emergency updates" in case another virus makes it into the CCleaner installer but it sounds like this time CCupdate.exe was used to push updates due to privacy and GDPR requirements. Here is what a Piriform rep (Ben) posted in the thread on the Piriform support web site (see link in OP above):

Since the release of v5.46 we have updated some users to this version to meet legal requirements and give users more autonomy and transparency over their privacy settings.

This update has ensured that users are on a GDPR-compliant version that includes the most up-to-date privacy settings available

More than likely most users running versions older than 5.46 will automatically and silently get updated to 5.46 then, even if they don't want to be updated.

#4 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

I personally only use CCleaner Slim and I only update it manually and, as you do, have the update option unchecked. I also have the awful 'monitoring' section (now called smart cleaning) OFF because that means CCleaner is always active. But I did read on some forums that the build prior to the latest had some flaws and partly about this new GDPR law. It sounds as if they have forced an update even when auto update was unchecked.

Hopefully there will not be any reasons in future to force updates but since they were taken over by Avast who knows.

I still think it is by far the best safe cleaner.

#5 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

I also like CCleaner but the key here is full transparency I think. That "CCleaner Update" task (via CCUpdate.exe) was added in 5.36 for updating CCleaner in "worst-case scenarios" (from the release notes) but now we see it's also being used to update CCleaner for mundane things like privacy and GDPR compliance. 

At the very least PiriForm/Avast need to explain CCupdate.exe's current usage very clearly so that people know to expect non-security related (and silent) auto-updates, instead of having them worry that their system caught some malware. Nothing more alarming than seeing software quietly and automatically update itself even though you specifically configured it not to update itself. 

#6 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:31 AM

I agree with you about transparency - and telling that to CCleaner's owners Avast at their official support site is worth it. But overall better to choose whether or not to continue to use it. I certainly will.

#7 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

You probably put a tick to auto update function while installing. 

#8 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

You probably put a tick to auto update function while installing. 

Nope, I've been using CCleaner for a long time so I know my way around it. That option was definitely un-checked since I specifically did not want to be updated. Also, it's important to note that I had the free version so the update check is only to be notified of new versions (updating it is a premium feature). Furthermore, I write my settings to a .ini file  so I can include it in my backups. When I checked my backup I was able to confirm that the settings was definitely un-checked. So this update was forced via the update task (CCleaner.exe) in the Task Scheduler.

In fact, if you check the thread on the PiriForm support forum, you will see many others reporting the same behavior and there is now this admission from a Piriform staffer:

All versions of CCleaner have been GDPR-compliant since 5.43.6522 (released 25 May 2018). While we weren’t legally required to update all our users to GDPR-compliant versions, we have the means to do this and we felt it was right that all our users have access to the same set of privacy controls.

Version 5.46 gives all users the best possible control over their data settings and brings everyone up to date with important stability fixes that prevent the loss of personal settings in Chrome and the potential for broken graphics drivers after a Windows update.

While we’re not planning on carrying out an update like this soon, we have taken your feedback on board and are working on a better solution with greater transparancy and that provides our users with more control.

Pretty clear that the updates were forcefully applied regardless of any update settings users may have had.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

I've still got v5.41.6446, and it seems to be holding.  I do have Task Scheduler /CCleaner Update disable in Autoruns.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

I do have Task Scheduler /CCleaner Update disable in Autoruns.

You should be fine then. I'm curious what would happen if you enable it though  :wink:

#11 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

There is nothing wrong with the latest version. But people who don't want it don't have to. This 'auto-update' that happened to some people, but not most users, was a bad move but it's the first time ever so I'm pretty chill about it.

#12 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

But people who don't want it don't have to.

Well that's the problem ... I didn't want it and I got it. I specifically unchecked the "check for updates" plus I have the free version.

If you have software installed on your system and it magically updates itself despite being configured not to, you can see how that would cause security-minded users some anxiety right? My initial concern was that it was malware. As it turns out it wasn't but since it wasn't expected I had to waste time looking into it.

EDIT: Also, according to the posts from the Piriform employee (Ben) on their forum, this actually affects most users not some.

Edited by BlackCurrent, 14 September 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#13 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

1. It's never happened before

2. The developer's have taken on board user views

3. There is no good IT reason not to have the latest so makes no sense. BUT you can uninstall it then go to oldapps.com and install any version you want. But not having the latest version - based on the version release notes - you could be hitting yourself for no good reason.

This issue is of such little importance in the general day to day IT issues that's a bit silly.

But people who don't want it don't have to.

Well that's the problem ... I didn't want it and I got it. I specifically unchecked the "check for updates" plus I have the free version.

If you have software installed on your system and it magically updates itself despite being configured not to, you can see how that would cause security-minded users some anxiety right? My initial concern was that it was malware. As it turns out it wasn't but since it wasn't expected I had to waste time looking into it.

Edited by RichardLancs, 14 September 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#14 BlackCurrent

BlackCurrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

There is no good IT reason not to have the latest so makes no sense.

There ARE many reasons why having "the latest" isn't always desirable. I run a tight ship and while I prefer some software to update itself (Windows, AV, etc.) I prefer that some don't. Everyone's use case is different. But that's not the point. This is about updating software against the users wishes. Unexpected updates and installs of software are always a red flag, as it should be. That's security 101. Hopefully they do listen to our concerns,

#15 RichardLancs

RichardLancs

• Banned
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

Re your 'EDIT' sentence.

Personally I don't care much what that Piriform person said. Do a simple internet search  and in the last 6 weeks there are few moaning entries, and reading 6-7 forums there are barely many posts about it.

I never said there were times people dont update for their own choice. But there are not that many reasons not to!

Good luck and bye. This subject is at an end.

Edited by RichardLancs, 14 September 2018 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users