Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac or other?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

You made a good point there too

a consumer might be able to find some Windows laptop for UNDER 450 dollars.  Not bad.  Not expensive (relatively).  How does the price compare for MacIntosh laptop?

The problem is when people compare $450 laptop to a $1000+ Macbook and say Macbook (Pro, etc) has better quality. Of course it will be. If people want a fairer comparison, compare it to a $1000+ Windows laptop as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

The problem is when people compare $450 laptop to a $1000+ Macbook and say Macbook (Pro, etc) has better quality. Of course it will be. If people want a fairer comparison, compare it to a $1000+ Windows laptop as well.

I will respectfully disagree (though I would go a bit higher on the PC than $450).   That's the very reason I personally feel that Macs are grossly overpriced.  You can get many PC laptops of the same general performance specs and build quality as a MacBook for far, far less money.  If you compare a comparably priced PC platform to a Mac it will beat it, hands down, almost every time.  There is way more "bang for the buck" in the Windows PC world.

Apple charges a super premium for the Apple name and design (and I'll admit that they have top-notch designers - their stuff always looks good).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#18 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,353 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

Apple charges a super premium for the Apple name and design (and I'll admit that they have top-notch designers - their stuff always looks good).

Apple ditched ports for USB C and dongles

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 September 2018 - 09:18 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#19 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:23 AM

I will respectfully disagree (though I would go a bit higher on the PC than $450).   That's the very reason I personally feel that Macs are grossly overpriced.  You can get many PC laptops of the same general performance specs and build quality as a MacBook for far, far less money.  If you compare a comparably priced PC platform to a Mac it will beat it, hands down, almost every time.  There is way more "bang for the buck" in the Windows PC world.

Here is a little personal experience to help support that.

I live with two Windows Vista Operating System computers of now 10 years old, one of them was about 700 dollars and the other was about 600 dollars, and these both still work very very well.

I also have a two year old laptop (Windows 10), which cost upon purchase, less than 300 dollars, and it too works very, very well.

The ACTUAL quality of these three computers, I do not know.  I only know that they work with no real trouble.  Also, 600 dollars is probably not too expensive for a laptop Windows computer; and 300 dollar price is further LESS EXPENSIVE.  

GIven that experience as a user, justifying some "Mac" for 1000+ dollars is difficult to do.

#20 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,353 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:20 PM

The thing is this is not the same Apple as it was about 10 years ago where Apple was innovating and Making Waves nor is it the same Apple of the 80s either. Fact is underneath Tim Cook apple is looking more more like they did back in the 90s tripping over their own arrogance and instead of innovating just making crazy crap and charging way too much for what they offer. At least underneath Steve Jobs they were of something of value but now I don't think so they have gone back and then a couple years they're going to drop Intel for what another processor brand again? Didn't they learn anything from powerpc? Like idiots they fumble and folly and I don't think Mac OS is going to be around for too much longer probably shifting to iOS only which is not exactly an ideal solution for a more desktop oriented device I mean look at what happened with Windows 8.
Tim Cook is just a clown, and sure I was not a fan of Steve Jobs as I think he was a pompous bleep at least he had a brain Tim Cook is a pretender to the throne

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 September 2018 - 11:27 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#21 N_K

N_K

• Validating
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:38 AM

Whether or not Mac should be used depends on what you plan to use your PC for. 

For graphical editing, multimedia design, computer graphics work, Mac has an excellent support for that, IIRC. But the closed ecosystem of Apple products also make it less ideal for software developers who prefer to have more say on the control of the PC.

Use Windows/Linux if one needs to use it for daily PC "chores" such as watching movies, editing documents, listening to songs, playing PC games and surfing the web.

You don't really need a pricey Mac for daily "chores". 

The thing is this is not the same Apple as it was about 10 years ago where Apple was innovating and Making Waves nor is it the same Apple of the 80s either. Fact is underneath Tim Cook apple is looking more more like they did back in the 90s tripping over their own arrogance and instead of innovating just making crazy crap and charging way too much for what they offer. At least underneath Steve Jobs they were of something of value but now I don't think so they have gone back and then a couple years they're going to drop Intel for what another processor brand again? Didn't they learn anything from powerpc? Like idiots they fumble and folly and I don't think Mac OS is going to be around for too much longer probably shifting to iOS only which is not exactly an ideal solution for a more desktop oriented device I mean look at what happened with Windows 8.
Tim Cook is just a clown, and sure I was not a fan of Steve Jobs as I think he was a pompous bleep at least he had a brain Tim Cook is a pretender to the throne

Seconded. Apple has lost its innovation since Steve left the company. All that remains is hefty premium for the brand. Actually, I don't see much innovation from Apple these days compared to the Apple Inc. back in 2007 when iPhone debuted.

But alas, such is the trend in the smartphone market now. Not much difference can be seen in newer phones compared to the ones released last year. The market has reached saturation, IMHO. Not sure about macOS though. 

Edited by Nicholas_Kang, 16 September 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#22 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,079 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

I am a user of both Windows and Mac computers. I don't think either is "garbage" or bad. Each has their own pros and cons.

Arguing about the issue won't get us anywhere, as each person has their own personal preference on which OS they like to use.

My advice to the OP is to try out a Mac. If they like it, then look further into the pros and cons of the computer. If they dislike it, the best option would be to stick with Windows.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#23 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,353 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

Plus there is always linux too, just saying :D