Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac or other?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VuduMaster

VuduMaster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:06 AM

Hey, I am going to buy new computer. Why do you prefer Mac? For me it's quiteb expensive and I am not sure is it worth it ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

It's a great one for it's safety and quality.

If you buy Mac you can be sure it will be long serving computer.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

I don't prefer a Mac, and never have and there was a period where I was working with them quite extensively.

If you are not already a Mac user, I would strongly advise that you find someone in your circle of acquaintances who has one where you might sit down and try it out for several hours, at a minimum.

I've generally found that PC users do not take well to the Mac and vice versa, though there are, of course, exceptions.  Any time you're contemplating making a major change in either hardware or software it's well worth taking the effort to see if you'd think it suits you, and your purposes, before taking that plunge.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

I agree with Brian. You can also test out macOS by going to an Apple Store if there is a store near you. Also, if you ever need to use a Windows app, you can either dualboot (using Bootcamp in macOS) or you can set it up in a VM using Parallels Desktop. For the most part, though, every app I know of is compatible, but your usage will differ.

Edited by Chiragroop, 11 September 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

Macs are trash, overpriced rubbish

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:45 PM

It is quite easy to say that when you haven't used macOS.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

I will not say that Macs are rubbish, but I will say that they, and virtually any Apple product, is overpriced for what it is.

And, having used MacOS/OSX on multiple occasions over the years I definitely prefer Windows and/or Linux.  Apple requires that you become "part of the borg" and does not allow any significant customization in my opinion.   I want a lot more freedom of configuration, and tons of compatible third-party hardware and software, not to be locked in, and no one locks you in better than Apple.

Some people love this, and that's just fine, it's just not for me and it's one of the reasons that I tell Apple users (who are used to it) that they need to give Windows or Linux an extended try before they take the plunge and vice versa.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

To hell with MacOS, I use linux

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 September 2018 - 07:53 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

To hell with MacOS and apple, overpriced and crap.

I use linux

I have had as well (Apricity, which later became discontinued so I moved to Ubuntu) along with both macOS and Windows 8.1 (which upgraded to 10) 

However, what I am trying to say is rather than just say Mac is rubbish, at least use it before you come up with a choice.

Some people love this, and that's just fine, it's just not for me and it's one of the reasons that I tell Apple users (who are used to it) that they need to give Windows or Linux an extended try before they take the plunge and vice versa.  

That would be ideal as well. What I find, however, is that most Mac users don't want to use Windows because of the changes, and most Windows users don't want to use Mac due to the different ways that don't fit with their workflows. It would be a really good idea if people would try out the different OSes at the very least.

-Chiragroop

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:00 PM

I use linux

I have had as well (Apricity, which later became discontinued so I moved to Ubuntu) along with both macOS and Windows 8.1 (which upgraded to 10) 

However, what I am trying to say is rather than just say Mac is rubbish, at least use it before you come up with a choice. 

As long as Macs remain overpriced and out of reach I refuse to own a mac.

Why buy a $4000 computer when I can build one for far less and still have quality hardware.

As for laptops give me a lenovo or a top tier dell

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

It would be a really good idea if people would try out the different OSes at the very least.

I agree.   That being said, the following definitely applies:

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it. . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.
             ~ Irving Babbitt

People will come to differing opinions based on their own personal likes, dislikes, and needs - and that's fine.  At this point in my life, and having tried, I'd rather gnaw off my hands than be forced to use MacOS.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

If apple made macOS officially available to the common user without expensive hardware that only costs more because it has a fruit logo on it I would probably use it.

But this is apple, greedy and selfish.

Say what you will about windows but at least it doesnt have high costs compared to OSX

Same with linux really

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

Both MadmanRB and Brian have reasonable choices for why they don't prefer Mac. I am just trying to help the OP since the OP said this:

Hey, I am going to buy new computer. Why do you prefer Mac? For me it's quiteb expensive and I am not sure is it worth it ;)

My idea here is that the OP tests out the OS before buying the computer. Though I would say that if you buy a Mac, repairability, especially for the newer Macs, are definitely not it's selling points (with the keyboard fiasco recently)

-Chiragroop

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

To the OP, this site has a Mac area as well, and if you're unsure about trying one, I'd follow the advice given (stick with Windows), but do some research before shelling out money. One thread that might go further than yours thus far-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/661693/is-mac-os-better-than-windows-os/
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:10 PM

I use linux

That would be ideal as well. What I find, however, is that most Mac users don't want to use Windows because of the changes, and most Windows users don't want to use Mac due to the different ways that don't fit with their workflows. It would be a really good idea if people would try out the different OSes at the very least.

-Chiragroop

That is very good.  People should try, if not through purchase, then by local education in the community, the most common computer operating systems for most user-consumers:  Windows  and Macintosh.  When you decide to try these at home, a consumer might be able to find some Windows laptop for UNDER 450 dollars.  Not bad.  Not expensive (relatively).  How does the price compare for MacIntosh laptop?  Much more expensive from what I'm aware.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users