Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website And Webpage.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carninesix

carninesix

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi peeps,

I have just purchased some material to use on a website.

Reading the legalese in the EULA, they refer to "WEBPAGE", and "WEBSITE". The content is pictures and I am going to use them on a site.

To my way of thinking, a WEBPAGE is part of a WEBSITE. So if you are limited to using 10 images from a set of 30 per webpage, you can use all 30 but you would need to have 3 pages of 10.

Now, my question is; What is the legal difference between a website and a webpage?

I checked Websters Unabridged Dictionary, no luck. I am in the USA, so any replies need to apply to the USA.

It would be handy to have a link in any answer to an authorative page.

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Middle desktop, eMachines W6409, added 1 Gb ram, added ATI X300 256 Mb
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

"A website, or Web site, is not the same thing as a Web page. Though the two terms are often used interchangeably, they should not be. So what's the difference? To put it simply, a Web site is a collection of Web pages. For example, Amazon.com is a Web site, but there are millions of Web pages that make up the site."

Definition from - http://www.techterms.org/definition/website

Here's another fair site for terminology and definitions.

http://www.webopedia.com/

Often I can just type in the term I'm searching for in Google, sometimes I even add "definition" to the string which helps filter some of the number of responses one will receive back.

As far as finding a "legal" difference/definition between web site and web page, not even the 'LECTRIC LAW LIBRARY lists such.
(Probably, for a fee, they'll gin one up for you.)

Good luck with your new site.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 carninesix

carninesix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hello KoanYorel,

Thank you for your reply.

I will have to investigate this some more.

Thanks,

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Middle desktop, eMachines W6409, added 1 Gb ram, added ATI X300 256 Mb
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users