Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making backup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 catsears

catsears

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:29 AM

from win 7 to seagate external drive:  want to make a complete backup; doing thru win backup/restore - will NOT backup...what am I doing wrong? if I backup thru another type of program, not savvy enough to restore to computer (oldie)....anyway, heres the error message I keep getting...not sure how to fix...

incorrect function; read operation from volume shadow copy from source failed...ox80780029

how to fix so I can backup before throwing this thing in the dump.....frustrated again  THANKS!

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2018 - 08:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

I suggest trying it using Macrium Reflect free edition. If you still have problems post back. I have linked you to the steps to make your backup, dial down to post #14.

Edited by ranchhand_, 10 September 2018 - 08:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:27 AM

A agree that either Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image is a better option. Still, the built-in program should work. I found an old article that says some folks with Microsoft Security Essentials running had a similar problem and were able to get around it by temporarily disabling MSE. Are you using MSE? If so, try disabling it and see if that helps.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

Ranchhand_ is giving you the good advice...

If you want your backup/restore operations to work you should use products from a company that specializes in those areas.

Microsoft is not in the backup/restore business.

There are lots of limitations and unexplainable phenomenon you might run into using the primitive and archaic Windows backup utility.

If you run into goofy problems with it Microsoft is not going to be of much help - or your going to get suggestions that begin with the word "try".

Try not.  Do or do not.  There is no try.

Edited by joseibarra, 10 September 2018 - 08:46 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

Note that it appears the first character in the error code should be a zero.

As Allan comments, people report having this problem when using MSE, but it's also possible that other AV software could behave similarly, some folk reported success by pausing their AV real-time scanning.

Others said running an AV scan on their drive found and removed an infection, after which the backup worked. Yet others ran a drive error check and were then able to backup.

Looks like basically anything that upsets the Volume Shadow Copy can produce this error.

Personally, I've never had much regard for Windows Backup, and also think using something like Macrium or Acronis is the better option.

Edited by Platypus, 10 September 2018 - 08:51 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

took off mse, still did same. have tried backing to reflect and being the oldie that I am, could not restore backup to computer....dummy.  anyway, I think I did the backup to reflect correctly but got confused when trying to restore.

so, dont know whats going on with windows backup, has never really worked for me. how simple is it...duh...

could you give me explicit directions to backup on Reflect, and exact directions on restoring? I am going to clean out this computer one more time, before either chucking and researching/paying out to install a new hard drive (dont know if its worth it) but want to be able to put my things back on without spending hours doing it by hand and each program (i.e printer, security etc).  dont want another computer because dont like win 10!

thanks for everyone's help and suggestions....learning as a I go....

#7 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

ranch hand - was reading your other long post to chiiiBill, very nice! you mentioned a "docking station", why would you use it, for what? for an external hard drive without casing? interesting....

#8 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:01 AM

josieberra, yes agree with your comments.  microsoft has gone downhill for non-savvy people like me, no support anymore without paying......oh well, life.

ok gonna go try doing backup on reflect, will post back,  thanks to all....

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Docking stations can accept either SATA or SSD drives, and are especially great if you have some old SATA drives laying around doing nothing. All you do is insert the drive in the slot, turn on the station and your drive pops up in explore and you can access it, run programs from it, etc. It gives you unlimited options for using older drives to store various data, programs, pictures, etc. You can also swap various drives by just turning off the station, insert the new drive, turn on the station and you are back in business. It works identically to a regular external drive, but gives you many more options. AND...it is far less expensive than buying several external drives! Notice the picture of the docking station in my link above; it is the item where I posted a picture of it. It is the black "box" underneath the HDD that is plugged into it, labeled #2.

With a dedicated external drive you can do the same thing but you are restricted to only that drive and whatever size it is with no options.

The Station gives you unlimited access to any drive you want.  For example, I have one HD with all my family videos of the kids growing up that takes a full TB. I have a different drive that I use for only my system backups that I do twice monthly. I have another drive that I use for family vacation photos going back several years. I have another drive that I use only for storage of copies of my highly-valued programs, such as CorelDraw, Photoshop, Office programs, etc. If my DVD installation disks ever go bad or get damaged, I still have ISOs of them on my programs storage drive and I am safe.

As a side-thought, some of these drives I make duplicates of and store them in my bank safe deposit box. If a disaster happens to my home and I lose everything, at least I still have my Operating System, irreplaceable family videos and pictures, etc.

And so on...

Edited by ranchhand_, 10 September 2018 - 12:04 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

Open a command prompt and type:

vssadmin list writers

Does the output list any errors?

#11 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

thanks ranchhand, thats good info, I do have a hard drive I took out of another computer to get rid of, can it be used as is in the dock? that way the drive wouldnt have to be compatible with current computer, right?  we just plug into computer, insert drive and voila?  recommend any one?

also, if I decide to replace the internal hard drive on here, how do I know which one to get, here's what I've found so far (inside computer).....

WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 SCSI Disk Device, would that be what I ask for?

thanks!

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

can it be used as is in the dock

Yes, any drive that is either/or SSD or SATA can be used. And, yes, the docking station is plug & play. No drivers to load. Must be plugged in to a USB port, of course.

if I decide to replace the internal hard drive on here, how do I know which one to get,

If you are going to do that, I suggest replacing with an SSD drive. The performance increase is well worth a few bucks more. A 500gig is pretty reasonable price, but if you want a 1TB that will cost a lot more.  You can get a SATA drive for more reasonable amount, but the few bucks an SSD cost is well worth the investment, in my opinion.

I appears that currently you are running a SCSI drive, which is pretty outdated now. I would not recommend purchasing one (if you could even find one). I am not sure if a SCSI drive would work in a docking station. I have not had any experience with SCSI, perhaps someone else with more knowledge here could post in.

BTW....follow up on JohnC_21 suggestion above; best to find out if you have a system problem before anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users