Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Taking A Crap-load Of Space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

I wasn't really looking for it, but today I noticed that I had ~30GB of unaccounted space being taken up on my C: Drive. Right now, C: is a 70GB partition on my 400GB internal HDD. Every program I use only accounts for about 8GB of space being taken up, with 32GB of free space.

A 70GB partition, with 8GB used, should have 62GB free.. yet everything reports only 32GB of free space. I use O&O Defrag Pro as my defrag utility, so I opened it and analyzed my C: drive with it. I noticed a huge chunk of space in the report being taken up by System Restore... 30GB of space to be exact.

I then went into System Properties, and under the System Restore tab checked on the C: Drive settings. It's set to only use 12% (8400MB) of space. I then turned it down to 6% (4200MB) and checked on my C: Drive. There is now 56GB of free space, meaning System Restore is now using ~4200MB of space, which is what it's supposed to do.

My question is... what happened to allow System Restore to use nearly three times it's allotted space on my C: drive, and how can I prevent it from using so many resources in the future?

Edited by .Prodigy., 13 October 2006 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Sorry, delete my post here as I now see that I have missaddressed the question, I will leave the link for those interested

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/next...hread19187.html

Edited by fleamailman, 13 October 2006 - 02:20 PM.

everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users