Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs during gaming

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

You still have an older version of HWMonitor. Remove or update from the following link.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Follow the steps below and see if the BSOD's still happen or not while gaming.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Another thing that might be more helpful is to create a full memory dump next time it BSOD's. These can be quite large so it is best to compress to .zip file and share with file sharing site such as google drive, dropbox, OneDrive, Send Space, etc.

Change the settings as shown in the picture.

Attached File  Memory Dump Settings Win10.png   111.23KB   0 downloads

Edited by dmccoyks, 07 September 2018 - 04:21 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#18 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

Hey,

Sorry for the long hiatus. I was off of work for a couple weeks and didn't have time to proper test my system.
I did turn on the settings for the dump as you mentioned but now if my system bsod's I dont have any dumps in the systemroot nor in my previous minidumps folder so in my case this is a step back.

I also ran memtest86 and found out that all my 3 ram sticks gave errors when inserted. My last ram stick I bought like 3 months ago. So either I am having a lot of bad luck regarding ram sticks or the issue is deeper.
I don't have an idea anymore.

Lately when I am playing a game it also freezes a lot more than I get a proper Blue screen. The times I did get a bluescreen and a driver mention it was again 
l1c63x64.sys and nvlddmkm.sys.

#19 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Make sure to check the following location for a full memory dump: %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp ex: C:\Windows\memory.dmp.

If you do not have any memory dumps at this location then change it back to  

I also ran memtest86 and found out that all my 3 ram sticks gave errors when inserted.
Did they fail when testing each module individually or all together? They need to be tested individually if they have not been already and possibly even in different slots if they pass to help narrow it down.

Have you tested using the the clean boot procedure below? If not, please test and let me know if the BSOD's stop or not.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#20 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

Yes that's where I checked for the memory dump but no dumps whatsoever.

I tested all my sticks separately and switched some to different slots. So I think I covered all grounds here.

I now booted my machine the way was described in your link and will report back as soon as I get a bsod.

Thanks

#21 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

I tested all my sticks separately and switched some to different slots. So I think I covered all grounds here.
All 3 of the Ram modules failed in all these scenarios? Are you still using your system with the failed modules? If so, can you test with only the good module/s. Until you can get Ram modules that pass all the testing then other troubleshooting efforts are probably not much help.

#22 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

I understand but I feel like maybe the problem lies deeper as the new ram stick didn't solve anything. Is it possible that my mb just corrupts every ram stick inserted? Or is there no such thing?

I'm going to RMA the latest ram stick as it still is in warranty.

#23 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

It is possible and we can try running some tests on your CPU. At this point do you have one only one Ram module that is passing?

See for more information:
https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Please Download and Run the enclosed Log Collector Tool below as follows: This will provide more information. Then we may want to run some stress tests.

• Save log collector v2-betaXX.zip (XX=latest Version) to Desktop
  • Right click on log collector v2-beta1X.zip in the Downloads folder and select Extract all. This will create a log collector v2-beta1X folder.
  • Open the log collector v2-beta1X folder and double click on the log-collector shortcut.
  • A Command Prompt window will open with the Ten Forums Log Collector running in it. Press the Enter key to start the collection process.
  • Once the process is Finished, Press enter to close it.
  • (Note the Output location as that is where the zip file is located that you need to upload to the forum.)
  • Upload the .Zip file to your Reply

Attached File  log collector v2-beta16.zip   14.31KB   5 downloads

#24 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hey 

No as of now, no sticks pass. When I tried them I had one that made one pass completely and I got to game with no problems for three days. Afterwards it started again, making me test that stick again. This time it gave me errors.
So i have 3 broken sticks as of now.

Attached Files

#25 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Do you know the makes and models of your Ram?

Lets run the following stress test to help determine if your CPU is good.

Step 3: Stress Test Your CPU - Prime 95
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).

The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History

Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85ºC. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem. This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

#26 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Okay so I RMA'd the last stick I bought and got a replacement. Ran memtest86 without any issues for a hour and a half. 

Fired up a game. Crash: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. 

I'm getting so fed up with this. I really thought it'd be my ram sticks but nope. 

I'll run prime now.

Attached Files

#27 Keef_Beef

Keef_Beef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

So I ran prime and it crashed after 5 mins.

I've included another log collector.

My model of my ram  Kingston ValueRAM 8GB DDR3 DIMM 1600 MHz (8gb)

Attached Files

#28 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

So I ran prime and it crashed after 5 mins.

Did you happen to see how high the temperature was when it crashed or were there any error messages? If not run again. Please post your normal operating and stress testing operating temps. Let the stress test run for at least 2 mins to stabilize temps and voltages.

I recommend using your MB monitoring software first or SpeedFan HWMonitor. to monitor the temperatures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users