Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:49 PM

Background: Seven year-old Compaq with Win98SE working reasonably OK considering all the abuse I've given it (like 3 years of Kazaa until recently uninstalled and a Magister virus many years ago). I can't afford a new one and want to start cleaning this thing up a bit. I've been devouring your tutorials and am close to beginning installation of things like CleanUp!, SpyBot, etc. to see how bad things really are in that black-hole called my drive C. I'm very likely to drive you-all insane over this in the next month, so maybe it would be a good idea to ban me now, rather than later. But if you allow, please let me start with this first small inquiry:

I've never-ever put this machine into Safe Mode, but your tutorials clearly tell me I'd better get good at doing that. Friends have told me simply to hold down the Control key during startup, but that does not seem to do anything, nor does either holding down the F8 key or tapping it during startup. Either way, I seem to get a normal startup to desktop.

I am able to get to Safe Mode via System Configuration Utility (using your tutorial instructions). Tested with that several times over several days and each time got the weird (to me) black & white full-screen menu that lets me select "Safe Mode" among others.

Question: Does my seeming inability to get to Safe Mode using the F8 or Control keys mean that something is terribly amiss in there? If so, is it something I should address before proceeding further?
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

That wierd black and white screen is completely normal. What the problem here is that Compaq have there own way of doing things (whats called a proprietary system).

What is the model number of your Compaq. We can do some digging to find out what options you may have.

Especially if you are going to be driving us crazy. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

It's a Compaq Presario model 7465. And you are not the first one to tell me the Compaq's are "different" (actually most use stronger language). Thanks for starting the help process.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 plonkeroo

plonkeroo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:40 PM

The option to go into safe mode and other options would be available to you if you used TweakUI or other tweaker to not show the startup screen but to list boot options every time you rebooted..
PLONKEROO
Just my twopenn'orth!
http://www.celtish.net/
Internet Abuse
http://www.celtish.net/webscape/abuse.html

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Well, a little digging reveals the good news is you won the lawsuit. The bad news is you won the privelege to get a free program that will wipe your hard drive clean. And theres lots of those out there already. The lawyers get $1,095,000. Only in America. :thumbsup: All the info here.

By the way, that black and white screen is a Dos menu. I always like playing around in Dos.

Everything Compaq wants you to know about that machine can be found here.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 December 2004 - 08:59 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:37 PM

Leurgy: Thanks for the link to Presario 7465 FAQs, but no help there. No listed FAQ re starting or running in Safe Mode and I also searched in the topics areas using terms like "Safe Mode", "Safe", "Starting in Safe Mode", etc. with zero results. And before I bothered BC with this inquiry, I went thru the Compaq paper manual (I'm a packrat) and Help areas on my HD, also with no information.

But perhaps back to my initial question: Does my inability to get into Safe Mode at startup using the F8 or Control key indicate I've got a major problem to resolve before commencing with installing and using BC tutorial-recommended cleanup software?

Or asked differently, as long as I can start in Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility, is that good enough to move forward with cleanup efforts and for me to quit wasting the forum's energy worrying why F8 Safe Mode start doesn't work on my machine?

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

No matter the method that you use to get to Safe Mode, the end result is the same~you are there.

It is true that some proprietary computers do not like to follow conventual methods (even some CPUs do not use a standard speed), as long as you are in Safe Mode, then the directions using Safe Mode, will still work.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:04 PM

Starting Your Computer In Safemode Simply follow the instructions for Windows 98 to Enable the startup window & choose safemode from the list. HTH :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

JEservices hit that nail on the hammer err............. something like that.

Safe mode is Safe Mode. If 98SE was installed on your machine when you bought it and you have not reinstalled it then your Windows Help files should have been modified to reflect the bass ackward way that Compaq likes to do things. Go to Start>Help and click the index tab and type in safe. What does that tell you?

Do you have a D: drive? According to that lawsuit you should have one (a partition, not a second drive).

Do you still have the "Quick Restore" CD? And if you have the manual some info regarding hardware would be helpful before you do something.

CPU?
RAM?
Motherboard? (Don't think you'll find that)
Hard Drive Capacity? If you open Windows Explorer, right click on C:, and select properties you will see free space, used space and total space. those would be good numbers to know before you do any cleaning as we can tell the result of that cleaning in freed up space. Do the same for D: drive and give us those numbers too.

How do you connect to the internet?

It seems that you are interested in a general tune up so the more specs we know, the better we will be able to help.

Great link Bear. Got it bookmarked.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 December 2004 - 10:27 PM.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

Here is a Software & Driver download page for your machine.

Important questions. Have you reinstalled 98SE since you got this machine? Have you had it since it was new?

Edited by Leurgy, 17 December 2004 - 10:50 PM.

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:22 PM

Wow, you folks are great! The link (to Symantec Safe Mode info) from Bear is exactly on-point and in fact says that the System Configuration Utility is the recommended way to get to Safe Mode (at least for Win98) as the F8 method can be difficult and perhaps even disabled by the computer manufacturer. Cool, now I can quit fussing about the F8 thing and begin studying the last few posts/queries from Leurgy, answer those questions, and them move forward. Hope you can wait till tomorrow AM for that. Many thanks to all of you until then.

#12 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

Your welcome, I'm glad I was able to help you twinsdad :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#13 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

Leurgy/Forum: Thanks for the help last night. I'm putting together a concise and comphehensive answer to Leurgy's questions about my system and will post that soon. Only question for you now is should I continue it on this thread, or start at a different forum more appropriate to commencing what will likely be a long journey of doing tuneup/cleanup process? Regards, Twinsdad.

PS: Leurgy...I had tried Start/Help "Safe" to get info, but it's only content told me to use the Control key to get to Safe Mode or, alternatively, the F8 key, neither of which worked on this machine. It said nothing about the more appropriate System Configuration Utility that you folks quickly pointed me to. TY.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:52 AM

Unless a Mod wants you to change forums you could leave it here. A lot of what we will be doing concerns Win98. The only other forum might be All Other Applications.

Maybe a Moderator can make a suggestion. Until then, carry on.

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 12:20 PM

Posting to this thread will make everything easier, since it will contain a history of problems/reponses/info for reference.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users