Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xueluo

xueluo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

I upgraded from W98SE to W2K now all of my programs are no longer installed and I have very little memory left now..was a partition created? How can I tell if one was?? How can I get the memory back?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

hmmmm maybe not a partion that you are looking for.

You have upgraded your Operating System. When you do this, each upgrade uses more memory to keep things running smooth. I would suggest that you add more RAM.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

I agree with JEservices. As Windows programs get newer they use more Ram. In Control Panel click on System to open it and you will see the amount of free resources as well as the amount of installed Ram under the General Tab. Do this with no programs running and before you connect to the internet. Post back with those two numbers and we may have some ideas for you.

After an upgrade such as yours you will need to reinstall your programs as they are no longer associated with your current operating system.

I would suggest you go into add/remove programs in Control Panel and uninstall what you can from there first. That is always a better idea than trying to reinstall a (supposedly) already installed program.

To see if a partition was created you can go into Windows Explorer and look at the Drive letters. Having said that, if a partition was created you would have lost all the previous data on your hard drive. See if you can find something you had saved such as something in My Documents, or a picture or an mp3 or mpg. If you recognize something that is still there then there is no partition.

If this WAS an upgrade rather than a fresh install, and you selected the option to save your previous configuration you will probably find an entry in add/remove programs that will say something like uninstall Win2K. If you select that and click remove, you should go back to the way it was, however, you may find more than a few problems cropping up as a result of the rollback.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users