Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems creating log

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 totalmig

totalmig

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:30 PM

Hi!

I just downloaded hijackthis from a link i found in a post somewhere else on this site and i was gonna make a log because my computer is slowing down my connection somehow. But when i press "save log", it says that the filename i try to save it as dosen't exist and asks if i would like to create one, no matter what i do i end up with a blank .txt file.

Thanks to everyone who's willing to help me :thumbsup:

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:57 PM

Hi totalmig,

Some malware will interfere with the latest version of HijackThis. Delete all copies of the one you have and try downloading it again from this page and following the instructions there:
How to submit a Hijackthis Log

If that doesn't work, try downloading the earlier version of HijackThis that is not affected by certain malware. HijackThis v. 1.98.2 Be sure to extract (unzip) HijackThis.exe before you run it.

Post back with any questions if this doesn't help and a log if it does.:thumbsup:

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#3 totalmig

totalmig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:16 AM

Hi again,

I tried both options, none worked. still getting the same error saying the file dosen't exist asking if i want to create one, no matter what options i pick doing the creation of the file it ends up with either nothing or an empty log file.

Thanks for your help so far.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

Sounds like a problem with Notepad, but I would need to know which Operating System (OS--XP, 98, etc.) before I can give you specific instructionson how to restore Notepad. Could you please post back with that information and in the meantime we can try a couple of other things it could be. Please also do this.

1. CWS SmartKiller will interfere with HijackThis and other removal tools. Download the following file, run it and try to make a log again:
CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool

2. If that doesn't work, rename HijackThis.exe to HijackThis.com Run again and see if you can make a log.

Also, when you press Save Log, do you get a Save As dialogue box? If so make sure there is text entered into the File Name and Save As Type fields. If not, type in Hijackthis.log and/or hijackthis.txt in the File Name field. Want to make sure you're giving the file a name if HJT isn't--just something else to check.:thumbsup: You could also do a search of your hard drive for Hijackthis.log and hijackthis.txt and see if it's being saved somewhere that HJT doesn't know about.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users