Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

Now that the second generation of Intel dual-core procs are coming out, P4's are dropping in price...

I have a socket 478 P4 Northwood proc, 800 mHz fsb, running at 2.8 mHz. I was debating an upgrade...to replace it with a 3.2 Prescott. The Prescott has a 1 meg cache, while my chip has a 512 kb cache.

The question: would it really increase performance in a noticable way?

I remember reading that the early Prescotts didn't perform that much better than the Northwoods. So I am not sure if 400 mHz increase would be worth 120 bucks.

I assume that at the same time I would purchase an after-market copper heatsink/fan, because Prescotts run so freaking hot.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

I don't personaly think it would help permance all that much as it wouldn't really be a big leap. I'm sure there's other things that could help performance, more memory is always easy and usually the cheapest way to increase overall system performance. Considering if you have 512mb of it or less.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Memory was part of my "master plan." Up it from 1 to 2 gigs. w00t. I thought that since I probably wouldn't be able to build a new box for at least another year, and that I would intend to keep this one solid even after I built a new gamer, I'd just max this one out. P4 single-cores, especially socket 478's, will be harder to find as time goes on...I just figured if I gave it as much of a boost as possible I would be glad I did down the road.

I imagined that the proc upgrade won't have much effect on a lot of older or even current games...but I want to prep for a few upcoming titles, as much as possible anyway. C&C 3 and Supreme Commander, for example.
The vid is tapped out...good as an AGP card gets (pretty much).
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

I upgraded from a 2.53 gHz P4 to a 3 gHz Prescott and didn't notice much (if any) difference in performance. It will depend on how much you use your CPU (in my case, I don't run many CPU intensive tasks at one time).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

That 3ghz Prescott is probably hyperthreading - do you have it set up for that?

#6 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I have hyperthreading...I suppose that and the 800 FSB is why my little Northwood already performs relatively well, for what it is.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

You need to have the ram installed in the same configuration on each channel and hyperthreading enabled in the bios.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

BTW - I'm starting to shop for a new PC (built from parts) and have come to the conclusion that it's about time to stop upgrading and devote some extra cash to the new techologies (Core Duo, 975x chipset, DDR2 RAM, Dual layer DVD, PCIe video, SATA II, etc). In particular, AGP video cards have topped out and you won't be seeing any new ones - they're all PCIe.

FYI, here's the specs I'm looking at:

Coolermaster Centurian 5 case
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V PSU
MSI 975X PLATINUM Power Up Edition mobo
(Onboard sound and NIC)
Core 2 Duo E6600 OEM
ThermalRight Ultra-120 CPU cooler
2 gB of PC2-6400 memory (OCZ is $25 cheaper than Corsair)
2 - WD Raptor 150GB Hard Drives (no RAID - just too expensive)
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX Video Card (overkill for me - any suggestions for lower?)
Pioneer DVR-111D Dual Layer DVD±RW

I haven't toted up the prices yet - but the vid card will be the first thing that I downgrade. Next will be the PSU (it's 3 x as much as the case).

Edited by usasma, 15 October 2006 - 09:27 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users