Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games We'd Like To See Made

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

Rehash of an old game in a new engine? A new idea that hasn't been developed? Whatchoo want to see released?

Here are a few of mine:

X-wing VS Tie Fighter 2!

Adventure games: I sort of miss that type of game...the adventure games from back in the early to mid 90's. They used to have interesting stories and discoveries to be made; add the creativity of those games with the modern technology we have now, you'd have quite a game indeed.

With the coming of the latest incarnation of Flight Simulator, Flight Sim X, I'd like Microsoft to release a new version of Space Simulator with the same engine. That'd be groovy. Though there is always a chance someone will make such a mod..

The top of my list would have been, had this been posted several years ago, Total Annihilation 2...but it turns out that that will be a reality with Supreme Commander. Time to upgrade!
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

I liked the old turn based D&D games. They made a new version of "Pool of Radiance" a couple years back but it wasn't near as good. I'd like to see some of them, but a better remake than what was done before.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

Geo-thermalnuclearwar?

John

Edited by jgweed, 13 October 2006 - 12:09 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:47 AM

A space simulator is something I really would like to see. A sequel to Freespace 2; I've played through it way to many times by now.

Geo-thermalnuclearwar?

You mean something like DEFCON - Everybody Dies?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

Was Freespace related to Descent? Descent, by the way, would be another one to revisit. :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Was Freespace related to Descent? Descent, by the way, would be another one to revisit. :thumbsup:

I loved Descent, but the 3rd one sucked. First and second were fun!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

I would love to see another "Colony Wars". Anyone that's played it on PsOne knows exactly what i'm talking about.

Also, i would love a throwback to the street fighter series. Mortal combat is coming out w/ a game featuring EVERY fighter from EVERY MK game. I'd love to see capcom come out with something like "Street Fighter Legends" that has every fighter, spanning from the original Street Fighter, to 3rd Strike and EX.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

Colony wars? I remember those two games. It was interesting on the two prospectives of those games. Like how the first one was about the suffering caused by the super power and the second one is the suffering caused to the super power once they've lost or something like that, its been a lot of years since I played those games.

Hmmmm, I'd love to see another Freespace game. I've only played a demo of the first Freespace (the first like 10 or so missions), but I own Freespace 2. Seeing as the Shivans can do their space travel without these nodes and they have all those powerful ships that can take out what took Humans and Vasudans (spelling?) 20+ years to build. Hell, the Shivans can create a super nova out of a sun. I'd love to see a continuation with the Shivans actually invading earth or something. Or at least something around the time where the humans actually finish building the jump node with the Ancient's designs.

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 October 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check out the demo myself.

Anyone remember the Wing Commander series?

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

I couldn't really get into it very well because I was young at the time, but I think I remembered playing one of those games on the PS1.

#11 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

i would really like to see an online resident eveli like first person shooter, with objectives and so on. and room to improve your person,skills, class.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#12 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

I couldn't really get into it very well because I was young at the time, but I think I remembered playing one of those games on the PS1.

I think the first time I played Wing Commander was actually a port for the SNES from the PC version. I was fascinated from the start...the idea of having an AI work flying on your wing...not to mention groovy 3-d space battles. Compared to 2D games I was used to, it was pretty cool.

Then there was Wing Commander 3...one of the first PC games I ever bought. I ran it on my 486 66 mHz machine (yes, pre-pentium)...8 megs of RAM, 540 MB hard drive, double-speed CD rom. WC3 pushed it to the max. Great graphics and real video cutscenes, with Mark Hamill in the lead role. Pretty nifty for 1994!

Anyway it'd be nice to revisit the game that so captured my imagination. Plus it would give Hamill a job.. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Edited by locally pwned, 16 October 2006 - 05:37 AM.

#13 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Geo-thermalnuclearwar?

John

Have you tried Defcon on steam? Its a RTS game where the map is a map of the world in wireframe and the purpose is to nuke your enemies to oblivion and kill as many as you can.

#14 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

Think of the movie "war games" that released in the 80's.... I think it was in the 80's.... Pretty cool movie, but it was extremely cheesy.... A computer named joshua had the ability to simulate a thermo-nuclear war between the superpowers. He then took it too far and hijacked the DoD computer systems and had the ability to launch REAL nukes. The main character had to stop him, and the diagrams reminded me a lot of the "Defcon" game shown on steam...

#15 AnonArtist

AnonArtist

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

Personally I'd like to see the old NES game (in the US it was called "Overlord") remade - even with just original starcraft quality graphics it'd be good :thumbsup: (you and the enemy were in 1 solar system, could engage in space or ground combat, and frankly was simpler, but had much better gameplay, than the Space Empire games).

I think too many games are missing the "KISS" rule (Keep it simple stupid) - do I really want to be able to duck, roll, then slide to one side while shooting if it requires a 20 key combination + whistling the intro to star wars? - and in turn does that REALLY have to be critical to completing the game? :flowers:

Imho, I'd almost kill for a game with strong, yet simple and straightforward, gameplay, a good storyline, today's graphics, and at least a half attempt at an original GOOD sounding musical score. SNES/Genesis generation had 2-3 of the 4 (depending if you could stand the midi-type-music :trumpet:). It's sad to see that many of the major companies are just churning out for the all-mighty dollar anymore (more games + less time = more profit = game quality goes down the toilet), and the independent developers never get really recognized enough until they're nothing more than a memory really (less games + more time + less public awareness = less profit (or more loss) = game developer goes down the toilet, game lives on through being a 'cult classic').

Anywho...started with what I wanted to see...developed in a rant lol...sorry for that ;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users