Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

I don't really know much about graphics cards, but I have a question. I don't know if its a big deal or not but I downloaded Age of Empires 3 demo and it said my graphics memory is too low at 64mb. I checked it in control panel and everest and they both say I have 96mb. I have an Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller and Intels Extreme Graphics 2 (whatever that is). My other info is its a dell dimension 3000 pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512 ddr sdram, and an 80 gig hard drive. Is this a big problem or anything because I'm going to be getting some newer computer games and more ram. Should I invest in a new graphics card as well?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:18 AM

To play newish games, yes. Because Age of Empires isn't all that of a demanding game if you turn down the shading quality, my Xpress 200 ran it well. But other new games won't work on your Intel Graphics controller. But you have to determine if you have a spare AGP or PCI-Express slot. The 96mb memory could be that your card has a small bit of dedicated memory and the rest is spare shared used for a cache similar to nVidia "Turbo Cache" so it may not be detecting your video memory correctly.

Edited by protozero, 13 October 2006 - 01:25 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

A graphics card is probably the most important part of a gaming computer, and Intel Extreme Graphics 2 was never intended to do anything but show you the desktop and let you surf the web. Many newer games won't run on it.

There might be a problem with upgrading though. If I remember correctly the Dell Dimension 3000 doesn't have AGP or PCIe expansion slots, which severely limits your ability to get even a half-decent graphics card.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

From what I looked up on the Dell Dimension 3000. It doesn't have any AGP or PCI-E slots, so there's not to much of a point putting a PCI card in there as it will be seriously bottlenecked and hardly even able to play Age of Empires 3.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users