Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning Multiple Files To A Cd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaw7

grandpaw7

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

I have just ordered some Stop Smoking downloads for my daughter. There are three separate files. I burned one file to a cd. I went through the process for burning a second file to the same cd, and it looked like everything was working just as with the first file, but when I then opened the cd, only the first file was on it.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to burn one file to a cd and then to burn another file to the same cd?

In passing, when I used iTunes to burn some songs to a cd, but left plenty of room on the cd, and I try to use iTunes to burn additional songs to the same cd, I get a error message that I need to insert a blank cd, which makes me wonder if there just isn't a way to do what I want to do.

Thanks, grandpaw7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

When you want to burn to a CD at seperate times, and not all at the same time, you need to use the multi-session option, otherwise after the burnig session is completed, the software will "close" the CD, making it impossible to add to it.

What software do you use, to burn with?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

What tg911 said will work, using a multi-session program.

However, I think that what you're trying to do is the kind of burning that you'd do on a CDRW (CD ReWriteable), and not a CDR (CD Recordable). A CDR is a one time use CD. Once you burn something to it, and "finalize" the CD, you can't burn anything else to it. With a CDRW, you can choose to "not" finalize the CD, and leave it so that you can write things to it at a later time/date.

I recommend saving all the files to a folder on your hard drive or your desktop, then burn all the files you want to a CD or CDRW. This way, you have a back up of your newly created (burned) CD. You can delete the files at a later date. I've always favored burning everything at once, instead of doing a multisession or using a CDRW, as I've had bad luck with CDRW's (so now I never use them!!!).

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I do not know what application you are using to burn the CD, but this solution should work for any of them on the assumption that the files are separate entitites and not something split that needs to be rejoined to view.
1. Create a New Folder, and call it "Stop" or something identifiable.
2. Drag all the files into this folder, and change its view to Details. This will allow you to make sure the total size of all the files will fit onto the data CD (if the total space on the CD is 700MB, make sure the total size of all the files in the folder is not greater than, say 650MB to account for file management overhead on the new CD)
3. Burn the folder as you would a single file (most likely by dragging and dropping the folder into your application).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Darn, I hate that when I don't get the email notices I call for that I have a reply. I came here to post another problem and decided to check this thread and just discovered the three replies and will puruse the suggestions and report back. Sorry about that.

Edited by grandpaw7, 15 October 2006 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users