Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free antivirus program

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 ketanco

ketanco

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

the computer repair shop near me suggested a program called avira, for antivirus. i had mcaffee for years but i want to try a free program if possible. does anyone have experience with this program avira? and what do you think of it?

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2018 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from MRA to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peterracine

peterracine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

personally I use avast which is also free and I have used paid for antivirus and I really do not see much of a difference. Most antivirus uses known signatures for detecting known rogue signatures or foot prints if you will and even the best anti virus program is vunerable to "zero day" or newly written malware. That being said some of the paid for antivirus are great programs but, there is no best anti virus program out there because unfortunately there are people that develop malware faster than it can be eradicated. Free anti virus programs work just as well as some of the paid for versions but, the best protection is educating users on how to avoid malware infections. I can tell you that if you have anything really important stored on your computer your best bet is to back it up! As far as anti virus, it can be argued easily as to if free is better than the paid for versions. Personally, I prefer any anti virus over none and that includes Microsoft security essentials. I would like to add that I am not affiliated with this site and I work in the field of IT and there are many IT guys that would assist you. There are a lot of good IT guys out there and this site includes a lot of them.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

If you are still using Windows 10 I suggest you use Windows Defender instead of one of the free or paid

for antiviruses. It has much improved and does a good job. Often, other antivirus programs cause problems

after installing updates for Windows 10, too.

Be sure to follow directions at McAfee KB - How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows (TS101331)

when you decide to uninstall McAfee.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:31 AM

I am using AVAST Free with a custom installation (minimal + game mode) because I am a gamer and I find WD somewhat slow all across the board. But if you want to avoid any issues, you will be fine running Windows Defender (recommended).

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:58 AM

I use Avast Free also on a Win 7 PC { 10 yrs } , but Avira from what ive heard is also ok , each to there own.

On my Win 10 PC and Laptop i use Windows Defender and have had no issues in 12 mths , i think Win 10 is a bit more robust than W7 and WD is suffcient.

Relying on any Antivirus to save you maynot , It all still depends on the User and their actions online and awareness , but overall any good Backup Plan / Image to an External Drive would also be an added Option and quicker uptime in an event of trouble occuring.

#6 Dan50

Dan50

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

Comodo Cloud is a good program, hard to get infected with that installed. :) 

#7 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

ok so i use windows defender and also avira? or just windows defender is ok?

and how can i activate windows defender? i use windows 10

thanks for helping

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

Install/ activate just one antivirus program.

First...Uninstall McAfee.

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender - Windows Help Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security.
  2. Select Windows Defender, then turn Real-time protection on or off.

Edited by buddy215, 21 August 2018 - 11:45 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Dome Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender/Windows Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For more suggestions, see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program which includes more details why Windows Defender Antivirus with Exploit Guard designed to protect against ransomware attacks is a very good choice.

Once you make a decision, remember that an anti-virus solution is not enough since most do not offer comprehensive protection...be sure to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

I have used Avira on several occasions over the years, most recently about two months ago, but then, as on previous occasions, I've found it makes my ageing computer noticeably sluggish.

Instead I recommend Kaspersky Free antivirus:

https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-antivirus

The newly released version now includes System Watcher which was previously only available with the paid suite. I've been using it for the past couple of weeks and I've been very pleased with it.

I'm using it alongside a program called OSArmor, an additional layer of security which complements Kaspersky very nicely:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/19/osarmor/

ps - If you like your antivirus to be more configurable, there is also Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, similar to Kaspersky Free but with the ability to change protection settings:

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

pps - as buddy215 has already said, ensure that you uninstall McAfee before installing another antivirus. 

Edited by n01paranoid, 23 August 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#11 Malcolmer

Malcolmer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:50 AM

AVAST is a really good software. I use it for ages and I never had any problems with that. Haven't heard about the one you're asking about as I think if use use any antivirus for a long time and you're okay with it there's no reason to change it.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

I no longer recommend avast as a free alternative anti-virus solution...I explain why in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:49 PM

Install/ activate just one antivirus program.

First...Uninstall McAfee.

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender - Windows Help Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security.
  2. Select Windows Defender, then turn Real-time protection on or off.

okay, my mcaffee is still active, (but it will expire soon) AND i saw that my windows defender is also active right now .so when my mcaffee expires, it means i already have windows defender and dont need to do anything else?

#14 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

on top of windows defender, should i install one of the programs you suggested, or, just window defender is ok? or installing one of the programs above on top of windows defender means, extra security but are there any disadvantages in using both?

#15 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:58 AM

As I said in my previous post, I personally prefer the superior protection of Kaspersky, but if you prefer Windows Defender, I would suggest using it alongside OSArmor:

https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/osarmor/

It doesn't require any expertise to use it. Just install it as it is without changing any settings. If it detects anything suspicious it will alert you in the same way an antivirus does.

Good luck. Any questions at all, just post back.

And remember to uninstall McAfee before installing another antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users