Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Browser Fortification

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Vista Users may still want their OS to connect and browse. Vista Users in the know converge and unite. I still have a Vista unit in service here at home and it is mainly used because of an active e-mail account...and I haven't taken the time to transfer the e-mail over to linux mint + thunderbird.

I do have Palemoon 27 loaded on it and Firefox 52 i think. with the obligatory NoScript and Ublock. I did notice that the newer versions of Palemoon are canceling Noscript from their add-on provisions. Actually, i think new versions of PaleMoon don't link over to firefox add-ons anymore.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Yes, NoScript is blocked in "newer" versions of Pale Moon 27 (based on Firefox 38): https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17619. I assume you know that Firefox 52 (and forks thereof) would require NoScript Classic 5.1.8.6, and that Pale Moon 28 does not support Vista.

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

Excellent tip!  These browser forks can get befuddling.  A simple goofle search returns some results with new forks getting released repetitively. I would deduce that the key to it all is look for the releases with the endurance.

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/basilisk-and-new-moon-ports-best-options-for-vista.305192/

Edited by synergy513, 23 August 2018 - 06:34 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

Pale Moon now has stopped support for use in Windows Vista, as of P.M. version 28.  Anyone wanting to use Pale Moon in Vista should stay with version 27.9.4.

#5 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

...Firefox 52 (and forks thereof) would require NoScript Classic 5.1.8.6...

Make that NoScript Classic 5.1.8.7 (probably the final version): https://noscript.net/getit

#6 descantes

descantes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

Hi, 5.1.8.7. is disabled in Vista even after setting on false, as Maone suggested.
Have I do downgrade to 5.1.8.6? thanks.
The choice is either Remove or Remove. And the small icon of Noscript in Firefox 52 esr disappeared hmmmm Where can I re-find 5.1.8.6? thanks.
==>> EDIT: oooops sorry ooops: leaving on False will resolve the problem, I guess 5.1.8.7 is working well now on FF52 esr and the small icon reappeared!

Edited by descantes, 13 September 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

...Firefox 52 (and forks thereof) would require NoScript Classic 5.1.8.6...

Make that NoScript Classic 5.1.8.7 (probably the final version): https://noscript.net/getit

Instead make that 5.1.9 at the same link - a rather surprising continuation of support for a version that only works on unsupported browsers.

The latest web extensions for Firefox Quantum will not work with Firefox 52 ESR or any of its forks, with the possible exception of the Basilisk browser (but only developer roytam1's builds of Basilisk will work on XP and Vista). In the case of NoScript, that might not be such a bad thing (see https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/01/noscripts-rating-drops-after-firefox-quantum-release/).

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

I noticed some attention in this thread or topic is given to Pale Moon and Firefox, for whichever versions will still work in Windows Vista.

Another alternative browser choice, although i am not certain how safe and secure, is Yandex.  I have only very recently been starting to try it on Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users