Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Downloading Emails In Outlook.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Ive got an 8.1meg broadband speed but im still getting slow down loads. Ive got ms outlook as my email program and ive got six messages to recieve totalling 32mb. When i click send/recieve it shows a time of 56 minutes to download them, this cant be right for my internet connection can it? If not how can i get it to download them quicker? It seems to be downloading at 2kbps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

first off, I am not a great fan of outlook express, and prefer to call it by its proper name of 'bagle virus please' as it allows mails into you computer, enough said, to topic then. The provider of your email normally has a view mails on site service, for example mine is @yahoo.co.uk so I go onto the yahoo website and log in there, so once you are loged in at your server you can see what mail is blocking outlook like this and delete it, in fact if you get into the habit of viewing, sendng and receiving mails on line, you can deminish using outlook.
everyday is a gift

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the help. It got to 13mb downloaded and restarted. I tried looking at my mail via virgin webmail but it came up with an error. I guessed it was because i was using outlook to view at the same time. When it restarted i stopped it and could then view on webmail instantly. I had four of the same message at 8mb each. In total i had 41mb to view and my limit on virgin is 50mb so it was close. What would you reccomend to use to view my email instead of outlook? I have avg checking my mail and i dont think ive had a problem with viruses in my mail.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

Download speeds, firstly, may be influenced by the server; if a lot of people are using a particular server that keeps your E-mail, download speeds may be reduced. A good way to avoid this is to connect during "off-hours" if possible.
It is always, secondly, useful to review your E-mails on-line, deleting those you really don't want, before using your POP-E-mail application.
Thirdly, I would certainly find an E-mail service with a reasonable storage limit; thanks to the great efforts of Google, a 50mb limit is simply not competitive. (Many of us have Google Mail invites if you want one; G-Mail supports POP access and begins with 2000MBs of storage space---all for free).
A very good alternative to Outlook Express is Thunderbird, the Mozilla companion to Firefox.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:32 AM

Ive just downloaded thunderbird and set it as default email, thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users