Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xigncode3, does it kill harddrives?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kuningatar

kuningatar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

I am curious, some games that I want to try playing use a program called xigncode3, which is apparently an 'anti-cheat software', among claims I have heard that not only does it collect data such as what files you have open on your computer, highly personal information, etc but it has been claimed also that xigncode3 kills harddrives.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this and knows more in depth or anything? Is this true? 

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

At the primary level, its simply not possible for software to damage hardware in a physical sense.

Its far more likely it will damage other software process's in play, even the OS, which then fails the drives recognition/read/write abilities.

In certain cases it can render it inoperable or rather inaccessible, through the OS kernel or other software in use which calls its functions across bus.

At worst, its nothing a physical sata/IDE disconnection and reset, or OS clean install wont fix!

But the wrong software can cause the best headaches!

Your disc should still spin up, no matter what game your were playing.......Its a gamer's wives tale!

It might eat your pets though. :mellow:

Edited by Replicator, 14 August 2018 - 06:12 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 kuningatar

kuningatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

At the primary level, its simply not possible for software to damage hardware in a physical sense.

Its far more likely it will damage other software process's in play, even the OS, which then fails the drives recognition/read/write abilities.

In certain cases it can render it inoperable or rather inaccessible, through the OS kernel or other software in use which calls its functions across bus.

At worst, its nothing a physical sata/IDE disconnection and reset, or OS clean install wont fix!

But the wrong software can cause the best headaches!

Your disc should still spin up, no matter what game your were playing.......Its a gamer's wives tale!

It might eat your pets though. :mellow:

Yeah? Okay, please allow me to ask a few more questions more in depth. I imagine the answer is the same, but I would feel much better asking all the same.

It was claimed in a thread I was reading that due to the way that xigncode3 functions (in that it is constantly reading your drives in order to detect cheats/script injection) that this is the main source of the drives becoming damaged. One person in the thread actually claimed their SSD outright died while running the game and claims it was xigncode3 behind it.

This is not possible, I assume? And their SSD just died randomly as they sometimes tend to? Or could the processes of xigncode3 have lead up to that?

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

Dude, the whole time your system is turned on, everything is called from your HD by CPU & RAM.

Its hardwares workhorse, and is constantly being read (issued with commands) anyway.

Remember, your operating system is on your HD......your screen would be blank if the HD stopped for smoko!

I dont see how constant scanning with software would hurt it?

He must have spilt some of his cocaine on the platters :thumbup2:

Edit: Sorry, you said SSD......all the more reason for reliability!

Edited by Replicator, 14 August 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#5 kuningatar

kuningatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Dude, the whole time your system is turned on, everything is called from your HD by CPU & RAM.

Its hardwares workhorse, and is constantly being read (issued with commands) anyway.

Remember, your operating system is on your HD......your screen would be blank if the HD stopped for smoko!

I dont see how constant scanning with software would hurt it?

He must have spilt some of his cocaine on the platters :thumbup2:

Edit: Sorry, you said SSD......all the more reason for reliability!

I am not sure? I assumed it was somewhat like bitcoin mining. What I had heard about that was that it was so CPU and hardware intensive that it tended to kill hardware very quickly? I kind of figured that the xigncode3 would be similar to that.

SSD, yeah. My main drive is an SSD - I have two HDD that are installed in addition to that.

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 AM

Well.....you spoke of simple constant scanning of your HD, are you talking about a more in-depth process? 

If its anything like you suggest, then its Malicious Software.......ie Malware!

It will render it useless upon your current install, but it wont kill it as a format is always available.

If your in any doubt, stay clear off it and you will be OK.  :)

Edited by Replicator, Yesterday, 05:26 AM.

#7 kuningatar

kuningatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Well.....you spoke of simple constant scanning of your HD, are you talking about a more in-depth process? 

If its anything like you suggest, then its Malicious Software.......ie Malware!

It will render it useless upon your current install, but it wont kill it as a format is always available.

If your in any doubt, stay clear off it and you will be OK.  :)

Well it is an official game run by an actual company so I may go ahead and give it a try, watch the CPU and memory usage, and if they show too high, I will probably pull out and delete the game. I suppose that would be safe, too.

#8 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

So is Facebook  :crazy:

Even if we said, "Yes, it will burn your hard-drive and send it to hell", you would play on anyway, so im stumped as to why you posted the question in the first place?

What did you want to hear?

Edited by Replicator, Yesterday, 10:32 AM.

#9 kuningatar

kuningatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 12:49 PM

So is Facebook  :crazy:

Even if we said, "Yes, it will burn your hard-drive and send it to hell", you would play on anyway, so im stumped as to why you posted the question in the first place?

What did you want to hear?

That.. seems rude?

No? I mean you are absolutely 100% wrong - you just literally told me there was essentially nothing to worry about. Read back on the whole forum post. You literally told me there is very little chance if not outright none of this program actually doing harm to any of my computer. If you had said otherwise? I would have avoided the game altogether.

Frankly at a risk of being blunt I would suggest you cut the elitist attitude and step back. I appreciate your help, but I do not appreciate this sudden disrespect and shoving words in my mouth you are doing.

#10 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 05:53 AM

Yes you were blunt.....Im hurt now and may not sleep tonight!

Edited by Replicator, Today, 06:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

kuningatar