Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 automatic update 1803 messes up my computer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

hi there!

back in april 2018, i got an automatic update from microsoft for windows 10 (i think it's numbered 1803).  it took about 90 minutes to install, and once it did, i was unable to connect to the internet.  i tried lots of things to make it work, but finally went onto Settings and did a system recovery to the previous version of windows 10.

and it's been great for a few months....

then my computer automatically updated to the same mess once again a couple days ago.  and once again, it disabled my ability to connect to the internet.

so i had to revert to the prior version of Windows 10 once again--long enough to get onto this forum and ask for help!

i think my computer will automatically update again in another day or two.  any suggestions?  i KNOW Microsoft will not leave me alone, so somehow i have to make my computer work WITH the update.....

thanks!

p.s.  as you can tell, i am a rather unsophisticated computer person....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

First, open Device Manager (in Control Panel or just do a search and it comes up), go to the Network Adapters entry, then expand it to determine what network card is in your computer.  It will typically be listed by manufacturer and model number, e.g., "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165."

Second, go to the support pages for the card manufacturer and search for your model number.  Grab whatever is the latest driver available for the card, even if it's from the Windows 8 era (though there will probably be one from the Windows 10 era) and remember where you put it.

Third, go to the support pages for the make and model of your computer, and see if your computer's maker has a device driver under the networking section for your machine's wireless card.  If so, download it and remember where you put it.

Fourth, follow these instructions:

Fifth, allow the Version 1803 feature update go through. 

Sixth:

If the internet connectivity disappears then use the device driver installer you downloaded from your computer's maker to install a replacement driver.  If that doesn't restore your connectivity, then try the one from the wireless card manufacturer.  One or the other should solve your problem.

Edited by britechguy, 12 August 2018 - 06:09 PM.
Corrected sequence

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

wow!  you have my head spinning, britechguy.  i have to be honest, i don't understand most of the terminology you are using, and frankly, i am afraid that if i tried to follow your instructions--with a dictionary by my side--i'd cause my computer to melt.  i apologize for being so squeamish, but i truly am very computer-illiterate....

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Don't know if I'm talking to Bob or Steve, but here goes.

We have all been beginners at some point, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there is a limit to "how simple" one can make anything.

In my first instruction, I told you exactly what you need to do, and it's just to collect information.  Going to Control Panel, choosing Device Manager, and clicking on the dropdown to expand Network Adapters after it's open is something I can't make any simpler.

You are here on a computer support site, and have posted a request for help, which leads me to believe you definitely know how to use the internet at more than an absolutely rudimentary level.   I fail to believe that you cannot go to the website for your computer manufacturer, some examples:

hp.com

acer.com

asus.com

dell.com

and choose the support option, then enter the specific model of computer you own, which will then bring up a page for "Drivers & Software," where you need to look and look specifically for "Network" or "Wireless" (I can't know what your manufacturer will use for it's specific chosen term, but it should be obvious) and save the driver file from under there.

You have to at least try to do these things and come back with specific questions if/when you get stuck, and you will probably not get stuck nearly as much as you fear you might.

If you are genuinely and truly afraid that you cannot do any of what I've asked, and described in further detail above, then consulting a local repair tech to assist you will likely be your best option.

Getting help is a two way street, and very often requires the recipient to stretch themselves outside their current comfort zone, but knowing that there is further support waiting if something proves more difficult or challenging than expected.

I could have been more specific had I had information regarding exactly what computer you are using, but I didn't.  If you are comfortable with downloading software then I would like to ask you to try doing the following.  It will provide me, and other potential assistants, with valuable information for that endeavor.

-----------------------------------------

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.  Note:  Speccy free may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time).  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.   When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.  You will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item (or press ALT+F,B):

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Edited by britechguy, 12 August 2018 - 06:55 PM.
Added instructions for Speccy

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

By the way, if you do nothing else, please click on the link for the step-by-step instructions for preventing windows from updating device drivers that I gave as the fourth step in my initial post and follow them before the Windows 10 Version 1803 feature update is allowed to be applied again.

That alone might solve the issue.  I was just trying to cover every eventuality I could think of.

~ Mark Twain

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:37 PM

Hi, yes, britechguy is giving you good advice, especially in regards to windows driver downloads. 

Now, for you, there may be an easier way to fix your internet problems, what happens is the feature update is almost a new install, so much is changed, in doing this windows runs some prep tests on your machine before the update, now if your drivers are not current OR the system has older hardware sometimes things get messed up. That's why you are being asked to update the network card drivers.

Now the most likely problem is the DNS servers get messed up, don't worry about what this means, it does however stop you from connecting to the internet. So update your network card drivers, disable the windows drivers update (from the link provided), and let your computer download the V1803. 

Now when you cannot connect to the internet, press the win + r keys together, a Run dialogue box will open, in this copy and paste this cmd:-

ms-settings:network-status (press enter or OK)

The network settings will open, if you scroll down to the bottom, you will see under "Network Troubleshooter" the last option is:- 

"network Reset" select this, it should get your network back for you.

#7 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

OK, taking a deep breath here.  sorry to be so whiny....

first issue--when i went to the Qualcomm support page, it says they do not update any of their products.  i have to go to the OEM.  what's an OEM?

second, when i right-clicked on the network card, up popped an option to "update driver".  can i just do that?

and truly, i am grateful for the help from you both.

bob

#8 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

OK, i just finished disabling the windows drivers update.  since i got all the way to a "no" box and checked it, i assume i completed that task.  just one question--am i supposed to somehow know that i should occasionally update drivers?  is the one from Qualcomm the only one?  if so, i guess i can right-click on it every few days to "update driver".  is that going overboard?  and are there other drivers that now need me to manually update them?  

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer (and for anything, not just computers, but your computer in this case).  The term is very often used in reference to automobile parts, to distinguish those made by the company that made the car from aftermarket, which are made by a variety of manufacturers that are not the OEM.  There is, of course, an aftermarket for any number of things.

In general, the end user does not have to deal with device drivers, period, but there are times such as these, where the suspected issue may be related to drivers (and as jenae has indicated, also may not) that we try to collect our possible repair tools while you still have an internet connection, and while you're still using a fully functional Windows 10 installation.

Everything that I and jenae are offering is speculative, based on our own personal and professional experiences.  Your computer is not in its "failed state" right now, so it is impossible to run specific diagnostics to determine the root cause of its failed state.

But even you have identified the big issue as internet connectivity, so we've both zeroed in on that area, coming at it from different angles.  I may be right, he may be right, and neither one of us may be right.  But we're working with what we've got, and that's all we can do.

Edited by britechguy, 12 August 2018 - 08:32 PM.

~ Mark Twain

#10 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

good morning!

i did the Speccy download.  here is the info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KxPbFNLqABLogDgr7u6FFsy

i have not yet hit the "update driver" option on the network card readout on the Device Manager menu.  is that something i should do?  or is it a bad shortcut to accomplish what you asked me to do on the manufacturer's support websites?

thanks!

bob

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

Hi, no you should only update drivers from the manufacturers or the developers web site, many drivers are modified by the computer manufacturer and you need to go directly to them to get the driver. 

We can assist you with this :-

Press the win + r keys together, in the Run box type:- 

cmd

Next press the ctrl + shift+enter keys an elevated cmd prompt will open.

All you need to do is copy and paste these two cmd's. Copy each one separately, then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt, do this for both cmd's. Press enter after each one.

You will have two notepads , please copy and paste these notepad outputs here.

Cmd's:-

wmic nic get AdapterType, AutoSense, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PNPDeviceID,PowerManagementSupported, Speed /format:list > 0 & notepad 0 

(This cmd tells us what windows see's as your network cards, it also gives us a Ven & Dev number this helps identify the drivers needed).

systeminfo > 0 & notepad 0

(This cmd gives us details about your system)

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hi, no you should only update drivers from the manufacturers or the developers web site, many drivers are modified by the computer manufacturer and you need to go directly to them to get the driver.

Please clarify for me what you mean by both "manufacturer" and "developer."

My suggestion is always to use the OEM's (as in of the computer itself) driver first, if one is available, and the device (as in WiFi Card) maker's driver second if the OEM's proves problematic, and there are plenty of times it does if they don't keep up with other changes that have occurred.  I have also found, over time since the introduction of Windows 10, that most of the major OEMs are now doing a good job at submitting their latest device drivers to Microsoft for inclusion in "the great Microsoft Driver Library in the cloud."

My own computer is an example of where Intel's drivers for my WiFi and Bluetooth work far better on this HP machine than the ones that HP has on their support site for it.  That's an exception to the general rule, that's for sure, but it does happen and one should be at least willing to consider that it could.

I'll be interested to see if Microsoft eventually replaces them, it hasn't so far, as I've never turned off allowing Microsoft to update drivers because it has not, as yet, proven to be a problem on any of the hardware in my household (5 machines dating from the Windows 7 era through the Windows 10 era).

[By the way, bob n steve, still get that info that jenae has asked for using the Command Prompt.]

~ Mark Twain

#13 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

hi jenae;

here's the first notepad:

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
PNPDeviceID=ROOT\KDNIC\0000
PowerManagementSupported=FALSE
Speed=

AdapterType=Ethernet 802.3
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=28:E3:47:80:D7:27
Name=Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
PNPDeviceID=PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C&REV_01\4&35C01CA6&0&0015
Speed=108300000

AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=00:25:AB:50:A4:90
Name=Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
PNPDeviceID=PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2B08103C&REV_0C\0100000000AB250000
Speed=9223372036854775807

AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=1A:E3:47:80:D7:27
Name=Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
PNPDeviceID={5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP_WFD\5&EF886F6&0&01
Speed=9223372036854775807

AdapterType=Tunnel
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
PNPDeviceID=SWD\IP_TUNNEL_VBUS\TEREDO_TUNNEL_DEVICE
Speed=100000

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=WAN Miniport (SSTP)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_SSTPMINIPORT
Speed=

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_AGILEVPNMINIPORT
Speed=

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=WAN Miniport (L2TP)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_L2TPMINIPORT
Speed=

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=WAN Miniport (PPTP)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_PPTPMINIPORT
Speed=

AdapterType=
AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=
Name=WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_PPPOEMINIPORT
Speed=

AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=9C:C0:20:52:41:53
Name=WAN Miniport (IP)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIP
Speed=

AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=A0:90:20:52:41:53
Name=WAN Miniport (IPv6)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIPV6
Speed=

AutoSense=
Installed=TRUE
MACAddress=A6:A9:20:52:41:53
Name=WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
PNPDeviceID=SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANBH
Speed=

and here is the second notepad:

Host Name:                 CALDWELL
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.16299 N/A Build 16299
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:          Hewlett-Packard Company
Registered Organization:   Hewlett-Packard Company
Product ID:                00326-10000-00000-AA880
Original Install Date:     11/30/2017, 6:18:39 PM
System Boot Time:          8/13/2018, 3:55:23 AM
System Manufacturer:       Hewlett-Packard
System Model:              23-g010
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1300 Mhz
BIOS Version:              AMI 80.05, 1/15/2014
Windows Directory:         C:\WINDOWS
System Directory:          C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:                 (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory:     3,542 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1,395 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  8,853 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 5,910 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    2,943 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
Domain:                    WORKGROUP
Logon Server:              \\CALDWELL
Hotfix(s):                 19 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                           [01]: KB4048951
                           [02]: KB4053577
                           [03]: KB4054022
                           [04]: KB4056887
                           [05]: KB4058702
                           [06]: KB4074595
                           [07]: KB4087256
                           [08]: KB4088785
                           [09]: KB4090914
                           [10]: KB4093110
                           [11]: KB4099989
                           [12]: KB4103729
                           [13]: KB4131372
                           [14]: KB4132650
                           [15]: KB4134661
                           [16]: KB4287903
                           [17]: KB4338832
                           [18]: KB4339420
                           [19]: KB4338825
Network Card(s):           2 NIC(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n WiFi Adapter
                                 Connection Name: Wi-Fi
                                 DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                 DHCP Server:     10.0.0.1
                                 IP address(es)
                                 [01]: 10.0.0.34
                                 [02]: fe80::158a:eb7b:b0ff:47c9
                                 [03]: 2601:346:c001:493f:f1b1:214f:6836:3a5c
                                 [04]: 2601:346:c001:493f:158a:eb7b:b0ff:47c9
                                 [05]: 2601:346:c001:493f::ca86
                           [02]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
                                 Connection Name: Ethernet
Hyper-V Requirements:      VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
                           Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No
                           Second Level Address Translation: Yes
                           Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

#14 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

hi Britechguy!

i have a question about your last post.  you said:

"I'll be interested to see if Microsoft eventually replaces them, it hasn't so far, as I've never turned off allowing Microsoft to update drivers because it has not, as yet, proven to be a problem on any of the hardware in my household (5 machines dating from the Windows 7 era through the Windows 10 era)."

does this mean that you haven't disabled the automatic driver updates on your computers?  isn't that the thing you asked me to do?  i'm kinda confused....

thanks!

bob

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

Yes, this means I have not disabled automatic driver updates as part of Microsoft Windows updates because, as I said, "it has not, as yet, proven to be a problem."

What has not, as yet, proven to be a problem for me and my hardware cannot be presumed universally.  There seem to be a reasonable number of people for whom this has not been the case, and when you have a perfectly functioning WiFi setup that stops working at a feature update and comes back to working when that update is rolled back, it's reasonable to suspect it's quite likely to be driver related.

Thus, since that's the suspicion, turning off automatic driver updates by Windows updates is a first diagnostic step, at a minimum.  If that's the only thing you did, nothing else, and your WiFi continued working normally after the next time the Version 1803 update is applied I'd say the culprit has been found:  a driver update as part of the Windows update that broke the device as a result.

The best (and, as far as I'm concerned, only) way to troubleshoot complex issues correctly is to change one, and only one, variable to see what, if anything, changes in the end result.   If you change more than one, regardless of whether the end result is good or bad, it's well-nigh impossible to determine which one worked, or even which combination of two or more worked.

Hence the reason I asked you to turn off automatic driver updating if it was the only thing you did prior to allowing the Version 1803 feature update to go through again.  That alone could be the solution, or give us some good information if it isn't.

It would be worth keeping a record of what the current driver is, who supplied it, and what it's version number is so that it can be checked against after the update.

Edited by britechguy, 13 August 2018 - 03:41 PM.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users