Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions and problems with Kubuntu 18.04.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'm trying Kubuntu 18.04.1 in Virtualbox and I have some questions and some problems. First my questions when I select third party software during the installation why doesn't it allow you to play closed sourced audio files properly (there distorted)? Also the software center (Discover) why do you have to be so specific when search for certain apps such as Keepass2 and xdotool? Now on to my problem when I try installing the restricted extras it freezes on EULA screen when I try to click the OK button nothing happens same when I hit the enter button on my keyboard, so I'm forced to close the terminal and once I reboot my system I'm able to properly play closed sourced audio files (no distortion) but I cant install apps or updates. If I remember correctly the error message I get when trying install an app is something like can not obtain lock I forgot what the error message I get when I try installing updates. Just now when I tried installing Gimp again I got some type of notification in the system tray I clicked on that and it installed some package update that allowed me to install Gimp, but I'm not sure if this fixed my update issue.

kubuntu_r_extras_problem_by_supersapien6

Edited by SuperSapien64, 12 August 2018 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

Not sure if this helps, but with the one in your screenshot, I believe you have to press the TAB key (once) to highlight "ok", then press enter.  That should take you to another grey box, where you have to use the arrow keys to select "accept" and enter.

Not sure about the rest :scratchhead:

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Not sure if this helps, but with the one in your screenshot, I believe you have to press the TAB key (once) to highlight "ok", then press enter.  That should take you to another grey box, where you have to use the arrow keys to select "accept" and enter.

Not sure about the rest :scratchhead:

Thanks. :thumbup2:  But it doesn't look like I need the restricted extras after all I tried a new installation of Kubuntu and I installed the third party software and when I first booted into it .wav and mp3 files weren't playing correctly but after applying the updates and rebooting the VM closed source files seem to play just fine now :) but I'll remember that I have hit Tab when that EULA comes for the restricted extras.

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

Cool,  though I should point out that those instructions are for that particular screen (mscorefonts) as that's the only one like that I've to deal with.

Happy computing :busy:

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Either way I know now how to get pass that EULA screen.

I have another question. Is Kubuntu (Ubuntu) 18.04.1 compatible with Flatpaks out of the box or do you have to install the software for Flatpaks? :scratchhead:

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:34 PM

open the terminal and copy and paste this command.

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg

then press enter and then enter your password and then press enter.

while still in the terminal copy and paste this command and press enter.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

close and restart you computer.

What you are trying to install is not necessary "restricted extras".

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

@ The-Toolman

Thanks.

I have one more question. Will Kubntu receive updates for KDE applications for five years or three years? Because I know it will only receive three years of updates for the KDE desktop environment but I'm not sure about KDE apps.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:37 PM

@ The-Toolman

Thanks.

I have one more question. Will Kubntu receive updates for KDE applications for five years or three years? Because I know it will only receive three years of updates for the KDE desktop environment but I'm not sure about KDE apps.

It appears Kubuntu 18.04 is only supported for 3 years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-beaver.html

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:35 PM

@ The-Toolman

Thanks.

It appears Kubuntu 18.04 is only supported for 3 years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-beaver.html

Yes Kubuntu has three years for the KDE desktop support but it will continue to have support for Ubuntu updates for five years as MadmanRB explained to me: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/681457/i-heard-there-are-problems-with-ubuntu-1804/#entry4544628

The thing I want to know is will Kubuntu continue to have updates for five years for KDE based apps? Cause I know it will for apps such as Firefox.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

The thing I want to know is will Kubuntu continue to have updates for five years for KDE based apps? Cause I know it will for apps such as Firefox.

That I can't answer.

Perhaps someone who uses Kubuntu 18.04 will be able to answer that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users