Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Being Hacked By My Boyfriend

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 clueless_phx

clueless_phx

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

:thumbsup: My boyfriend has decided that he is allowed an all access pass to my computer at all times. Even when I have it at work with me, and he is at home, he hacks into it and reads my MSN conversations live as I am having them. I have changed my Windows login name and password but he seems to have gotten around that. Is there some other form of protection I can use to insure that he can't get into it? Or is there a way to lock the computer before the windows login? Help! I am terrible with computers but feel like this invasion of privacy is going to far. Ideas?!?!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

Isn't your IM's password protected? Just change your password(s) for whatever IM you are using.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

I use MSN and the password has been changed a lot....I don't know how he does it but he has already gotten through three...the last being non-sensical numbers and letters. I'm not sure the problem is the security in the MSN program itself....but rather how he's getting in through my IP. I am pretty sure he also has gotten into logs of my MSN chats that are kept even when I have changed the privacy settings to not keep a record of them. Is this even possible?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

First off, how do you know he is reading your messages? Second, there could be a program installed on your computer that is called a "keylogger". Install the program in the link below and let us know if it finds anything.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:14 AM

I know that he is reading my messages because he "reads into them" something that isn't there then uses them against me in arguments....he doesn't really have any problem admitting to me that this is what he's doing....ok going to run that link right now. THANKS!

#6 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

so far this scan has found 13 different medium risk things all different variations of something called "trackingcookie" does that mean anything? About half way through scan....

#7 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

Is there a way to set a password before the computer will even start to boot up.....so that the password is needed before he could bypass the windows login etc? (27 medium risk threats found.....all 'trackingcookie' variations)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

Those are "third party cookies". You can keep these cookies from ever installing on your computer by following the directions below.

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK

It is very common for certain types of remote control software to replace the default Windows GINA DLL (Msgina.dll). Therefore, a good first step is to examine the system to see if it has a third-party GINA DLL. To do this, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Value = GinaDLL REG_SZ

• If the Gina DLL value is present and is anything other than Msgina.dll, this probably means that a third-party product has changed this value.
• If this value is not present, the system uses Msgina.dll as the default GINA DLL.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

Do you suspect he is doing this spying from another computer or are you allowing him to use your computer? Or both? You said you have changed your login password. Does he have his own account on your computer?

You can clean all your temporary files and logs by using the instructions below for an excellent program called Ccleaner.
Download CCleaner
Select the Download Latest Version link (top of green column) and save to your desktop
Right-click the ccsetup127.exe file on your desktop and select Open
Follow the on-screen instructions through to the Install Options page. I suggest you only retain the following 2 options
Add Desktop Shortcut
Automatically check for updates etc…
Click Install
To setup CCleaner
Click on the CCleaner icon on your desktop.
From the menu on the left select Options
Now select Advanced. On the right remove the check against Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours.
Select Cookies. When CCleaner is run it will remove all of the cookies in the left window; if there are cookies that you wish to retain then select them and transfer them to the right window. Multiple selections can be made by holding down the Ctrl key before selecting.
Select Cleaner from the left menu and the Windows tab
Under Internet Explorer place ticks in all but the last box
Under Windows Explorer tick the last two only
Under System tick all boxes
There is no need to tick anything under Advanced
From the menu on the left click on Analyze
When the analysis is complete, click on Run Cleaner and OK at the next screen.
Close CCleaner

#10 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

I think that when I am at home he is going through my things on this computer, and when I am not there he is spying from his. He does not have an account on my computer, it is a work computer and there should never be a reason for him to be in it or looking through it. What does that ccleaner program do ... in basic terms ? :thumbsup:

PS I really appreciate you taking the time to be so helpful.

#11 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

Will this ccleaner program keep my compuer from keeping any logs of my MSN conversations, movements etc all the time or will I have to run it everytime I want to clear it out? Because I bring this thing home everynight and he goes through it everynight.

I know it sounds silly because there is nothing to hide....but it just feels wrong that every moment and everything typed on my own computer be wide open to him whenever he wants just because he is so much more knowledgeable at this than I am.

#12 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ok ran CCleaner removed 200MB of stuff....is that bad? That seems like a lot.....

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

If he can't log on to your account in your computer and there is no keylogger, no remote connection, then I cannot imagine how anyone could be reading your messages,etc. Here is a link to Ccleaner and it explains what it does better than I could. It is a very good program and using regularly will help you keep your computer in good working condition.
Just one unasked for comment---generally, if your boyfriend/girlfriend is spending a lot of time checking up on you and insists on knowing your whereabouts and controlling who you talk to, it usually means THEY are the ones who are cheating or doing something that YOU wouldn't approve of. Has he bought a lot of new undies for himself lately?

#14 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Oye don't I know it.....I'm not really sure by blocking him from all of this if I am trying to salvage the relationship or my pride. Either way I want to be able to keep him out, if we broke up I would hate to think he still has this access.....and hey I'm at work now with nothing to do but fester over this.....

The only thing I know is that he pushes some button right after he turns the computer on ....then some plain black screen and simple white writing comes up.... and he types stuff and gets into the comp that way...without ever being prompted for my windows login info.....

It wouldn't surprise me if the way he gets into it from home while I'm here is against the rules....he's had some trouble with that in the past.....

Where else would a computer dump MSN conversations....maybe I should read his to find out what is going on once and for all....

#15 clueless_phx

clueless_phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

and new undies? Please......I'm lucky if the man will wear clean undies.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users