Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bmeister

bmeister

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:15 PM

Good afternoon folks. I have an old Emachine that my brother-in-law installed windows seven in. I wasn't using it so it sat around until the battery went dead. I decided to get away from Windows XP finally so I got this old computer out and replaced the battery, reset the time and everything fired up just fine. I figured it surely needed updates so that is where I went. OK, we have 52 of them. They downloaded fine and then started to install, got as far as number 31 and that is where it set. Left it there for about 24 hours because some things take time but finally shut it down because nothing was happening. Can any one tell me why? is there a setting in there or something that caused it to stop that I need to change. I do not know a whole lot about computers and is the reason that I hung on to Windows XP so long. It was something that I understood pretty well. Thanks for the help.

Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

First of all, does this laptop have SP! installed ?  If you don't know, type winver in the search box that appears when you click on start. This will bring up the result 'winver.exe'. Click on this and you will get a box like this pop-up -

Attached File  Win version.PNG   20.01KB   0 downloads

This will tell  you if you have SP1 or not, as you see in the image it quite clearly says SP1, so I have it installed !  If it isn't installed you can get it here -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

If it is installed go to 'Control panel - Updates' and look at the date of your last successful install. If it is July of last year then MS changed the update system to a rolling one, just wait until about Tuesday of this week and get the monthly roll-up update and you should be good.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 bmeister

bmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

OK, I restarted the computer, went to see what updates worked and which ones failed. After that I see that I had one important update so I did that and it was successful. I then did another search for updates and cam up with 31. Clicked on down load , then on install and it is working. Still don't know why it stopped yesterday but looks like it's working OK now.

Bruce

#4 bmeister

bmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

By the way, thanks Chris.

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic