Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Explorer Portable 7.1.0 Security Check Does Not Run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gonwk

gonwk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Hi folks,

I have ASUS laptop with upgraded windows 10 (from windows 8 since the laptop came with it).

I have been using System Explorer Portable for many years and always run it to execute it's "Security Check" then we I get it is NO Threat I closed it out even from Tray.

This morning I ran CCleaner Portable 5.44.6575, and made the mistake of running Registry Cleaner ... which I never do ... but I did back up my registry per CCleaner suggestion.

Now, I am guessing my problem might have started after I ran the Registry Cleaner ... but Not sure.

Problem that I am talking about is that System Explorer Portable and Installed Version 7.0 STOPS in it's gear and does NOT complete it's run.

Q1: Is this only my problem OR System Explorer has stopped providing the service?

BTW, I am running AVAST Free AV  ... and if Avast hadn't Suggested that I have Registry problem I would NOT have run the CCleaner Registry clean up.  I really dispise AVAST sales pitch.  I just recently in the past several months changed from AVIRA Free to Avast only because AVIRA would not Start and load up in my Tray ... so I tried Avast.

Q2: Did I clubber something in my system?

Q3: Is there a Fix to get System Explorer "Security Check" to work again?  Everything else in System Explorer seems to work just fine.

Thanks,

G! :)

Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Hi, gonwk!

This is only your problem, as I believe System Explorer still provides its service.

By running the CCleaner Registry Cleaner, you inadvertently removed both the portable and the installed System Explorer's "Security Check" function.

The only fix to get the said function to work again, is to reverse/restore the changes being made with the CCleaner Registry Cleaner.

Here is a guide on how to do it:

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner-network/optimizing-endpoints/cleaning-the-registry/restoring-registry-entries

If you have not as of yet, please read this article:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 12 August 2018 - 11:38 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

I just checked the System Explorer installation program, and unfortunately it has no repair functionality.

You could try to reinstall System Explorer, but I can't predict what the outcome of that will be. Usually, this fixes the installation, but there is no guarantee.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 12 August 2018 - 01:48 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users