Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popup At Startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

Windows 10 installed  little over a year ago, up to date with zero issues until yesterday,

only one program selected at startup which is windows defender

i get the attached pop up when i start my computer using the power button only.....meaning, if i select restart from the start menu, this pop up does not occur.....only when the machine is completely shut down, and powered on by the power button,

E: drive on my machine is my DVD reader/writer......which i have only ever used once since i built the machine which was just to install my printer software.....i tested the DVD and it is working fine,

the popup is directly in the middle of my screen when my desktop appears

Attached Files

Edited by mikey11, 12 August 2018 - 07:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

It may help to diagnose the problem if you find the program that is responsible for the pop-up...

• Download Process Explorer and save it to the Desktop
  • Open Process Explorer, running as Administrator.
    (Right click the file and choose Run as Administrator)
  • On the toolbar, find the gunsight icon on the right (shown highlighted in the figure shown below).
  • Drag the icon and drop it on the window with the error
    Tkmv0Iu9TSx7S49YaysKqsaqmN7stO.png
  • The executable that is associated with the error will be highlighted in the Process Explorer, check the file name and path, it may help determining the program that is showing the error

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

It may help to diagnose the problem if you find the program that is responsible for the pop-up...

• On the toolbar, find the gunsight icon on the right (shown highlighted in the figure shown below).
  • The executable that is associated with the error will be highlighted in the Process Explorer, check the file name and path, it may help determining the program that is showing the error

thanks, i will try that if it happens again.....ironically, it didnt happen this morning

#4 techblogger911

techblogger911

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:12 AM

I had this problem once and it was because of a VIRUS! Crazy right? I got malwarebytes since it is a light s/w, scanned and removed, since then it is fixed for me. 

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

after a few days of nothing, it happened today again.....i did as you suggested.....and here is what was highlighted....seems to be coming from windows defender???

Attached Files

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

On the image what I see if Explorer highlighted not defender.

Maybe the is some recent item with reference to drive E: and Explorer is trying to refresh the information...

When this happen if you open the disk manager is there any drive identified as E:?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

When this happen if you open the disk manager is there any drive identified as E:?

when i go to "This PC" my DVD drive is listed there as drive E:

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Try searching the registry for E:\ to see if you find some entry under Recent keys pointing to e:\something

___
Rui

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

Hi, press the win + x keys together, from the options select Powershell(admin).

Copy the below cmd then right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file $home\file.txt
start notepad $home\file.txt

Notepad will open, this gives us an expanded list of startup items, compared to taskmanager's startup. Please post the notepad output here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users