Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Ransomware Software recommendations please?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Pantoine

Pantoine

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:59 AM

Best ransomware protection?

I reckon  you are the right people to ask such question.

What software do you recommend for protection against ransomware please?

Edited by Pantoine, 12 August 2018 - 03:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amigo-A

Amigo-A

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:28 AM

Norton Security (Norton Internet Security, Norton 360)
Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool fo Business
Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Edited by Amigo-A, 12 August 2018 - 03:30 AM.

My projects: Digest "Crypto-Ransomwares" + Anti-Ransomware Project (In Russian) + Google Translate Technology

Have you been attacked by a Ransomware? Report here. Знаете русский язык? Пишите мне на русском. Помогу. 

#3 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

Trying this one.
it seems impressive:
https://youtu.be/zDKModQjFUs

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware infection is a comprehensive approach to include prevention and routinely backing up your data. Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

I keep an updated list of ransomware prevention tools (Post #2) in this topic. Be sure to read the Important Note below the list.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Amigo-A

Amigo-A

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

Pantoine
I forgot to say.

Norton Security with Backup and Norton 360 themselves make a backup of files and securely protect it. :) 

My projects: Digest "Crypto-Ransomwares" + Anti-Ransomware Project (In Russian) + Google Translate Technology

Have you been attacked by a Ransomware? Report here. Знаете русский язык? Пишите мне на русском. Помогу. 

#6 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for this excellent source which is  an eye-opener for me as I was a recent victim I couldn't do anything else other than reformat the pc and fresh install the os.  

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware infection is a comprehensive approach to ...

#7 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

I have avoided such huge resource hogged but crucial programs in the past.  
I now have emsisoft, malwarebytes and  spyhunter 4 and now  I don't know what to do if my not so powerful laptop could handle such  programs on the top 
I am open to suggestions

Pantoine
I forgot to say.

Norton Security with Backup and Norton 360 themselves make a backup of files and securely protect it. :)

Edited by Pantoine, 13 August 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

I have avoided such huge resource hogged but crucial programs in the past.  
I now have emsisoft, malwarebytes and  spyhunter 4 and now  I don't know what to do if my not so powerful laptop could handle such  programs on the top 
I am open to suggestions

Pantoine
I forgot to say.

AppCheck Anti-Ransomware includes Automatic Backup to NAS or External Storage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Hi, Pantoine!

...I now have emsisoft, malwarebytes and  spyhunter 4... (emphasis mine)

You indicate that you have SpyHunter 4 installed, and as such, I would recommend uninstalling it.

Please refer to the other topic for uninstallation instructions, which is available from here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609406/please-help-me-to-get-rid-of-spy-hunter/

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hi, Pantoine!

...I now have emsisoft, malwarebytes and  spyhunter 4... (emphasis mine)

You indicate that you have SpyHunter 4 installed, and as such, I would recommend uninstalling it.

Please refer to the other topic for uninstallation instructions, which is available from here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609406/please-help-me-to-get-rid-of-spy-hunter/

Regards,

midimusicman79

I was told it is a good program.
What can you tell against please?

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, Pantoine!

I cannot say anything negative about SpyHunter 4, however, I cannot say anything positive about it either.

I can guarantee you will not get one single recommendation for this program from any BC member whatsoever.

This is because of the maker of SpyHunter 4, Enigma Software Group, LLC, has a history of filing lawsuits against anyone who say anything negative about the program, which I will not do either.

With all due respect, I suppose you have already heard of the lawsuits between Enigma Software Group versus Bleeping Computer and vice versa?

Anyway, here is some information about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpyHunter_(software)

I can rather recommend some other passive and active security programs that will enhance your multi-layered anti-ransomware protection as well as anti-malware protection, if you are interested.

However, I would still recommend uninstalling SpyHunter 4 before trying any of the above, so as to use your computer's resources as efficiently as possible.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#12 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Thank you  midimusicman79.
I appreciate your help very much.
I have uninstalled it and now have the appcheck free version installed.

I'm so scared that I'm madly searching an extra app since my files at my pc attacked by gandcrab-v4 recently and I had to install a fresh  os and moved the bad files to external drive for a possible future fix
all the best

Edited by Pantoine, 17 August 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hi again, Pantoine!

Great, then I would recommend the following security programs:

Malwarebytes
WinPatrol FREE or PLUS
SpywareBlaster Free
NoVirusThanks OSArmor
Kaspersky Software Updater
Unchecky

You can install any or all of the above, but they are all non-intrusive, that is, they do not take up a lot of system resources.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 18 August 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#14 Pantoine

Pantoine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

Wonderful.
Thank you again, midimusicman79

I have  :
Malwarebytes 3.3.1 and Glary Utilities 5 (which does what kaspersky updater does, I presume), appcheck, startup sentinel  already

now added:
Unchecky
all the best
ps. You are in the best country we dream to visit for the 
Spectacular Scenery.  planned to visit Norway this year around late September or Early October. Yesterday just decided to postpone to next year, (perhaps May) for  a better season and/or  suggestions/comments

Edited by Pantoine, 18 August 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#15 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, Pantoine!

Sorry, I did not initially realize you already have Malwarebytes, however, it is currently on version 3.5.1.2522, and as such, please update it. :busy:

Here are instructions on how to do that from within Malwarebytes: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1125

I am not sure whether you have the Malwarebytes Premium Trial or the Free version, but please note that it is unnecessary to use both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes 3 Premium simultaneously. :exclame:

In fact, Emsisoft warns about this in general in a security blog post, which is available from here: https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/12/18/do-not-run-multiple-antivirus/

So, if needed, you have to downgrade the Malwarebytes Premium Trial to the Free version, and here are instructions on how to do that: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1033

However, you surely already know that when the 30-day free trial of Emsisoft Anti-Malware is over, in order to continue using it, you will have to purchase a license for it. :whistle:

When you do this, please note that Emsisoft offers a 12% discount if buying a 2-year license and a 20% discount for a 3-year license, so you can save as much as possible. B)

It is nice to hear that you have added most, if not, all the additional security programs that I recommended. :thumbup2:

Thank you for the compliments! I have sent you a PM with a link on how to visit Norway. :wink:

You are welcome! All the best! Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users