Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A lesson to me, and for others !

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

Stupidity is a punishable offence, or so Robert Heinlein said in 'the Moon is a harsh mistress'. He was right !

Short story - took the hard drive out of an old computer which hadn't been used for five years or so to recover some photos for its owner. A nice simple job. Discovered it was divided into two partitions after I plugged it into my desktop. One was empty, the other contained some five or six Windows back-ups. So I decompressed the newest one into the empty partition and copied the pictures out of 'Users' into my 'C' drive prior to burning them to a CD.

Purely as a matter of routine, it was due, after doing this I ran an MBAM scan on my system - 347 PUPs and 2 trojans !  The next hour and a half was spent cleaning up my own computer and this hard drive. I now believe they are both clean but I could have used the hour and a half more productively.

MORAL - if you connect a strange drive scan the damn thing before you do anything else !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Been there , done that , years ago.

Images are a life saver , i have a dedicated PC for repairs and retrievals etc , 2 Partitions , and saved Photos / Files go to the the D:\ Drive.

If the my C:\ Drive becomes infected from the recovery files being infected on said customer Drive , i dont worry to much.

I run Avast and have for years and most possible infections are found during the process of recoveries and deleted , then its just a matter of reloading the Image at completion.

Nothings perfect these days when it comes to Pups, Malware , Viruses, etc we all get caught out at some stage and learn from it.

I had a customer / friend i trusted 6 yrs ago and loaded his Laptop to my network to repair it , 20 min later i had 3 Pcs infected , took a couple of hrs to cleanup and my own PCs , these days i dont find that Bugs have developed too advanced for long repairs to occur,  but Crypto viruses , serious Malware its still easier to reinstall the operating systems and count your loses if backups were,nt performed earlier. 

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

:hysterical:

.....sorry mate !....i just couldn't resist !...( it also bought back a memory of my own stuff up)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Post #1:
I'm pretty sure Heinlein also said "stupidity is the only universal capital crime". Be glad that those 349 nasties didn't kill off the files being recovered.

I do wonder what sort of virus could infect you purely from copying files though, was there something on that drive set to automatically run an infecting .exe file when it was plugged into a windows PC?

Edited by rp88, 18 August 2018 - 03:37 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

Heinlein said a lot things about stupidity, I don't think he had much toleration for fools but I really ticked all the boxes that day !

Having expanded the latest back up I then copied the whole User folder across to my own hard drive so as to extract the photos. I suspect my own files/system wasn't actually infected since almost all the file paths led to this User folder. Still took an hour and a half before I was satisfied that both my system and this guesting drive were clean.

Memo to self :-  Scan strange drives before you do anything with them !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Always good advice, and advice I followed just two days ago when I had to pull a HDD from a client computer for further examination.   First step:  scan it with Windows Defender.

It did come back clean as a whistle, which I actually anticipated, but one really cannot ever be too careful!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:01 AM

But how can you get infected if you don't execute anything?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

But how can you get infected if you don't execute anything?

For most infection types, one wouldn't, but there are things that self-execute in the infectious class of programs.  They're the minority, mind you, but they exist.  I would certainly not want to even be risking "run by twitchy finger" (which has happened to me on my desktop and elsewhere on occasion) for an infectious agent that would require that.

In any case, it's still good practice to scan any unknown device on first connection.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

What kind of anti-virus are you using?

I have Eset Nod 32,and anytime I copy a file for back up from a strange drive Eset scans the file (automatically)  before I put it on my pc, It will pop up a warning box stating a malicious file before I can back it up on my pc.

I would tend to think any decent anti-virus would catch that before it got access to your own hard drive. Although it does slow down the back up somewhat, it is worth the extra security. If your antivirus is not catching that before you back it up, I would seriously consider getting a better antivirus software for what you are doing

Edited by Joe C, 20 August 2018 - 10:34 AM.

#10 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

Yes, Chris, your case is really native to me. haha 

You said completely right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users