Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Sudden Crash 20%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xovolarjem

xovolarjem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Using Asus A555l and windows 10 in it with latest security updates. Till that time never faced any such issue, but while working on my laptop suddenly the screen goes black and then after 5-6sec starting repairing automatically showing a black screen and crashed something was written with a black background. Any idea what can be the cases?

With Regards,
Protar Smith

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 August 2018 - 05:21 PM.
Moved to crashes, blue-screens, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Qyue

Qyue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hi, 

You are not along, many users have flocked to Reddit to share that after installing the 2018 update, their computer appears to boot up — but then gets stuck with a black screen with no icons and an error message that the desktop file could not be accessed. While there isn’t a clear indication of what’s causing the issue, it’s something that Microsoft will need to work out.

If you’ve completed these steps, your computer should be back in business!

Things you will need:

· 8GB or larger blankUSB stick

· A functioning Windows PC to use briefly (another computer in your home, a friend’s computer, even one at a library or print shop)

· About an hour or two of spare time

Steps:

1. Turn on the problem computer.

2. At the blue screen, choose your keyboard layout’s language.

3. Choose “Use another operating system”.

4. Choose the second option, “Windows 10 on volume [x]”

5. Wait for the computer to boot to the desktop (if necessary, enter your password to login). You may have to wait a long time for the desktop to appear, while the “update” gets ready.

6. Once the desktop attempts to load, close any error message that appears.

7. On a functioningWindows PC, go to microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

8. Click “Download tool now”. Disable any antivirus on the functional PC before proceeding to step #9.

9. Run the tool you downloaded, and follow the simple steps to create a Windows 10 installation USB stick. This will erase any existing contents of your USB drive! The only option you should check is to make sure it is a 64-bit or 32-bit version. Your computer is MOST LIKELY64-bit, and if you install the 32-bit version when you don’t need it, you’re probably going to have a bad time.

10. On the problem computer, right-click anyblank area on the taskbar (this is the bar typically at the bottom of your screen, which contains the Start button, some program icons, Cortana, and the clock), then click “Task Manager”.

11. Click “More details” so that you can see the menu bar.

12. Click “File”.

13. Click “Run new task”.

14. In the dialog box that appears, check the box “Create this task with administrative privileges”.

15. Click “Browse…”

16. Navigate to your USB drive and select “setup.exe”.

17. Run the file and follow the steps to “upgrade” Windows. Uncheck the boxes for “check for new updates” and to “help make this version better.” If you are asked what you want to keep, make sure you tell it to keep everything!

18. Let the process run, which may take some time. Once completed, the computer should be back to normal and fully up-to-date. You may need to re-login to your Microsoft Account.

19. While it is not necessary to remove your third-party antivirus software, we’d recommend that you remove it anyway, given that it likely caused the issue. Windows Defender is built in to Windows 10, is free of charge, and is quite adequate for consumer-level protection.

My recommendation to users going forward is not to pounce on every new Windows 10 Feature Update that is released. If your system has been working just fine with the current version, wait it out a while or skip it all together. If there is some specific feature in the update you want, then thats an exception, but these feature updates are becoming more difficult to install on older devices; and it sometimes makes you wonder if the inconvenience is worth the hassle just to keep doing the same thing. 

There are some tricks that can help you disable Windows 10 update with ease.

Edited by Qyue, 12 August 2018 - 09:44 PM.

#3 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:10 PM

I think it is a little drastic to perform a reinstall until performing some troubleshooting steps first.

Step 1:

Restore to a Restore Point prior to the update if available and test.

Step 2:

Go back to an Earlier Build

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/go-back-to-an-earlier-build-of-windows-10

Step 3:

Test in Safe mode. If it works in safe mode then it is probably a driver issue that we can try and fix. 

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users