Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of a video "tip" in Settings app?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hey, everyone.  This is a nuisance issue, nothing major.  Recently, after the latest cumulative update for Windows v. 1803, 17134.191, there is this new thing in my Settings.  Here is a snip of it:

Spoiler

I have shut off all Notifications pertaining to tips, tricks, what have you in Settings/System/Notifications & actions, as well has uninstalled the "Tips" app.  Restarted machine and this video is still there. Searched online and couldn't come up with anything relevant (but then,  it's Bing search). Looked at the Microsoft forums.  I force-update Windows Defender several times a day so this video is a nuisance to me. Anyone know how to get rid of it, or is one stuck with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

This screenshot looks like it's in the Notification Area, not Settings per se.

Have you tried just playing it?   Yes, I realize you may not wish to watch it, but it's possible that if you let it "do it's thing" just once it will then go away.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

I never noticed that large icon but it seems that I have it too. Since I never noticed it until you pointed it out I guess that I can live with it.

I only use the manual updater about twice a day, so it is really a non-issue on my system.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 11 August 2018 - 01:37 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

Oh wow, I happened to be right here when you answered,  The video is strictly in the Windows Updates window.  OK, let me try that--even though I watched like 5 seconds of it and couldn't stand it anymore.  I'll get back to this post with an update.  

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

The icon is definitely in the settings area and I just played the video and it is still there.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

I just went into Update & Security Settings, Windows Update Pane, and I've got it, too.

It appears to be a new feature of the "What's New" reporting.  Whether it's a permanent feature or will be featured for some set period post-update I do not know.  For me, it's nothing other than background noise and concerns me not one whit since I am not required to interact with it.

I am, however, intentionally playing it just for the amusement of the exercise and seeing if that might make it disappear after my next reboot (which, even if it did, could still be the result of enough time having passed if the time is days, as I reboot seldom).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

Yes, hi again, I cheated and made it go almost to the end instead of actually watching it and voila, it's still there also. I re-installed the Tips app from the Store to see if there was a way to get rid of it and I didn't see anything useful in there.   If you're easygoing and don't mind it, that's good.  It irritates me when I access the Updates screen, I have Dark theme and it's in your face when you access Updates.  I mean, you're already competently running Windows 10, and on here it runs very well.  I don't need this useless, propaganda-ish thing in my Updates section.  

Anyway, if one feels strongly about it, there's the Feedback Hub, right?  Maybe it'll go away soon.

Anyway, thanks!

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

Anyway, if one feels strongly about it, there's the Feedback Hub, right?  

First and foremost, a bit shout out to you for mentioning the Feedback Hub and its being the best and most direct way to submit feedback from end users to Microsoft about Windows 10.  And that's whether the feedback is about real problems/bugs or just preferences.

That being said, you used the phrase "Microsoft propaganda" and, in the context of Windows 10, the probability of that going away is zero, regardless of what you, I, or anyone else not in charge at Microsoft thinks!

#9 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hey Y'all

Try this: 'Settings' > 'Privacy' > Uncheck 'Show me suggested content in the Settings app.'

Close & reopen 'Settings' and the content should no longer be there.

Old Rocker

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hi, no it's hard coded at the moment,that setting will not effect it. and in response to the Feedback Hub, which requested more info.It could evolve into a more general, what's in this update video. At least that is the intention, I cannot see how this bothers anyone, and if it does offer more info, probably a good thing and you will get used to it.

#11 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

Hi, old rocker, everything possible in Settings/Privacy was already disabled and unchecked but the video remained in Settings/Windows Update. 

jenae:  thank you for reply, it was as I suspected since it was so "there" all the time.  So, it's fruitless to try and get rid of it, I guess.  I do not get used to things I cannot manipulate but out of sight, out of mind.  It's just in my face every time I go to Windows Updates to get defs for Defender.  If's like you couldn't get rid of some other useless stuff like "Bubble Witch Saga"--oh, you will get used to it.  lol, maybe not quite to that extent.  Like I said, it's a nuisance thing, for me at least, and a curiosity.  Maybe it'll go away some day. 

Edited by plat1098, 13 August 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

It's just in my face every time I go to Windows Updates to get defs for Defender.

I ask the following not out of snark, but because I'm curious:  Why do you do this?

Windows Defender updates its own definitions quite frequently without user intervention of any kind.  I've occasionally snagged an update set when I was trying to get another update that I wanted to give a nudge to get earlier than waiting for it to come in the next cycle, but otherwise Windows Defender is "set it and forget it."

#13 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

​

It's just in my face every time I go to Windows Updates to get defs for Defender.

I ask the following not out of snark, but because I'm curious:  Why do you do this?

Windows Defender updates its own definitions quite frequently without user intervention of any kind.  I've occasionally snagged an update set when I was trying to get another update that I wanted to give a nudge to get earlier than waiting for it to come in the next cycle, but otherwise Windows Defender is "set it and forget it."

Well.  It's a good question.  This is a large computer with decent hardware, BUT, it is not reliable when it comes to updates.  This is weird but true:  if one is not paying attention, any update downloading and installing in the background will fail.  I have been caught off-guard like this many times, including for Fall Creators, a couple of cumulatives and a Nvidia driver.  All the scans:  dism, sfc, what have you, are negative  Drivers/chipset are current. But too often he updates fail.  So, I check this two or three times a day.  I was under the impression Windows Defender auto-updated only once per day, at startup.  Is this incorrect?  

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Take a look at your Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, View Update History Link then search for the Definition Updates section which is nowhere near to the top of the page, and expand it.   

Here's mine from this machine:

updatehistory_defnupdates.jpg

As of this writing, Windows Defender definition updates are being handled via the Windows Update mechanism and clearly are done twice daily.  It would only make sense that Windows Defender itself would be doing cyclic checks to see if the date-time stamp, or version number, of the definitions it has loaded are older than those stored wherever the updated ones are stored, and loading the newer ones when they become available.

Windows Defender also has a cloud component.  It's become a far more powerful security tool, using many additional features it never previously had.  It is meant to be something that needs no care and tending and my experience with it indicates that description is accurate.

I do believe, though, that there is a move in the works to move Windows Defender definition updating back into the core Windows Defender Security Center functionality.  To me this makes far more sense.   Security suites, anyone's security suites, should be fully self-contained within the suite.  All updating, status of updating, etc., related to the suite should be handled by the suite and checked via the suite.   I will not guarantee, though, that I'm not creating the previous out of thin air.  There are just so many things I can keep track of, and this is definitely something that is at the bottom of my, "important to keep perfectly straight and at the front of my mind" category.

#15 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

Removed I Guess... Windows 10 Pro Evaluation Copy, Build 17735.rs5_release.180807-1451

Attached File  Screen 1.png   118.23KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screen 2.png   118.02KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users