Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All sorts of issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sellerofjewels

sellerofjewels

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:45 AM

Hi there... ok so I'm having all sorts of problems.. first my laptop (lenovo flex 4 i7 8g ram windows 10 home) slowed wayyyyyyyyyy down all of a sudden. Right click and menu took sometimes 25 -30 seconds to load...same with highlighting something to be copied. So I suspected some sort of malware. Did all my scans, cleared my cache, ran the clean up tool... nothing worked... So i uninstalled avast and installed bitdefender instead... ran the scan again... clean. Downloaded malwarebytes... 17 potential threats.. mostly registry keys and outdated drivers (which i have auto update selected...) so I went in and updated a whole bunch of drivers that needed to be updated and that worked. So now my right click is functional. Then I try and list on ebay (thats what I do) and my pictures will not upload. No matter if I drag and drop, use the upload button or upload from a web page... doesn't work. The little loading circle keeps on spinning, the first photo shows 100% loaded but doesn't show the photo and that's all that happens. I don't know what else to do.. oh and it's saying in my settings that bitdefender and and malwarebytes are incompatible applications. I tried updating them... Idk. someone help please. This is my business and I'm falling behind without my laptop functional. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

Hi, I hope you have good backups for you are heading for a fresh clean install. You have replaced Avast, if you did not use their uninstall util, many aspects of this util are still active and on your machine. Then you compounded the problem with Bit defender. By now the damage may be done, is the version of Malwarebytes the free or the Premium version?

Removing both Bit defender (use their uninstall util, and also run Avast's uninstall util). If you have premium Malwarebytes also use their uninstaller to remove it. The best most secure and integrated security system comes with windows, it is called Windows defender, it is really all you need, some people (usually the paranoid,also run Malwarebytes free version, which simply isn't needed either)

If you are lucky things will improve and your system settle down if not as I said the damage is already done , a clean install and use only built in windows utils will allow you to enjoy your computer..

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

There are a lot of people who use Malwarebytes Antimalware.  One of its uses which attracts users is to recognizes and remove PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications).  The Malwarebytes Antimalware 3.4.5 is an active version which can monitor for PUAs, but Windows 10's Home Defender has an application which does the same thing.  For this reason Malwarbytes , at least in my opinion, is redundant for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

One of the most common ways a person winds up with a bunch of PUAs is by not being diligent when installing downloaded software.  A lot of the authors of the free applications generate extra revenue by allowing other "authors" to include their third party applications.  These applications can be avoided by doing a Custom installation where you have the option to read through the third party applications and decide if you want these or not.  There will be an option to decline the installation of these applications.

Home Defender's application does the following. 

The following is a direct quote from this Microsoft website.

PUAs are blocked when a user attempts to download or install the detected file, and if the file meets one of the following conditions:

* The file is being scanned from the browser

* The file is in a folder with "downloads" in the path

* The file is in a folder with "temp" in the path

* The file is on the user's Desktop

* The file does not meet one of these conditions and is not under %programfiles%, %appdata%, or %windows%

The file is placed in the quarantine section so it won't run.

When a PUA is detected on an endpoint, the endpoint will present a notification to the user (unless notifications have been disabled) in the same format as normal threat detections (prefaced with "PUA:").

They will also appear in the usual quarantine list in the Windows Defender Security Center app.

Edited by dc3, 12 August 2018 - 08:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi, good post from Dc3. I use and recommend SuperantiSpyware, it is brilliant at PUP's and removing unwanted cookies (which it call's pup's, adware).

It is a light program, the free version is fine, and unlike the greedy Malwarebytes people it does not foster their terrible premium version on to you, as a mandatory trial, before reverting to the free version. The code used in Malwarebytes is older (and less effective) then that used by windows defender, which is free and built into the OS. The premium version of Malwarebytes is very poor code, they cannot afford to keep up. The reason why so many people still think it must be good ( since they are having little to no malware\virus problems) is the huge drop in reported cases of infection, this is due largely to Windows Ten's improvements.

We run a few thousand computers as test units and they have NO AV's even defender is removed (don't ask, I will not tell you, just to say you do need to know what you are doing). Most of these reported no incidences of infection that effected their performance at all, in the past 6 mths.

Edited by jenae, 11 August 2018 - 06:12 PM.

#5 sellerofjewels

sellerofjewels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

Hi, I hope you have good backups for you are heading for a fresh clean install. You have replaced Avast, if you did not use their uninstall util, many aspects of this util are still active and on your machine. Then you compounded the problem with Bit defender. By now the damage may be done, is the version of Malwarebytes the free or the Premium version?

Removing both Bit defender (use their uninstall util, and also run Avast's uninstall util). If you have premium Malwarebytes also use their uninstaller to remove it. The best most secure and integrated security system comes with windows, it is called Windows defender, it is really all you need, some people (usually the paranoid,also run Malwarebytes free version, which simply isn't needed either)

If you are lucky things will improve and your system settle down if not as I said the damage is already done , a clean install and use only built in windows utils will allow you to enjoy your computer..

So how do I use their uninstalll tool? I just went into my system programs and uninstalled from there

#6 sellerofjewels

sellerofjewels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

So I used the uninstall utilities for both bitdefender and avast but when I go into windows defender it says that virus and threat protection is turned off and gives a link to bitdefender....I'm confused

#7 sellerofjewels

sellerofjewels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

So I used the uninstall utilities for both bitdefender and avast but when I go into windows defender it says that virus and threat protection is turned off and gives a link to bitdefender....I'm confused

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:59 AM

Hi, not surprised, it's why I said you may have to do a fresh install. Firstly you have restarted your computer (not shutdown, must be restart)?

A few things you can try:-

Press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box type:-

cmd

Next press the ctrl + shift+enter keys together, an elevated (admin) cmd prompt will open. (old tweak bought back in v1803, I got sick of writing out instructions)

Type:- sfc /scannow (press enter), let it run, and let us know what it say's.

The following can be run from a cmd prompt as admin (as shown):-

net start > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) Notepad will open with your running services, post here we can check all services needed have been started.

It would be easier for you to copy the following cmd's then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window, select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt (press enter)

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /s > 0 & notepad 0 

Notepad will open, post the results here, this is the registry location for disabling defender.

reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open, post the output here, (it will be around 1 page long). This will assist us to see if further corruption has taken place, preventing defender from starting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users