Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word 2007 is roaming to find the dictionary!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 umen

umen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:16 AM

I have an unusual problem between my HP Windows 10 system and MS Word 2007, Professional Pro. It takes 14and one half minutes to open the dictionary. This problem has been ongoing for the past five years.

Several days ago, I did a comprehensive search and found only a few hints as to what the problem might be. Further exploring led to 1) open the dictionary (14.5 minutes) 2) select the options button at the bottom of the dictionary (19.7 minutes) then check to see of the dictionary was checked. I had selected Encarta Dictionary, English (North American. I clicked on the property’s button and it took almost 15 additional minutes before it opened. After backing out of this program, I opened the Word Options button then selected proofing and opened the custom dictionary. The path for the dictionary showed: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roming\Microsoft\UProof.

If I am roaming, I didn’t know it. I think that when I click on the dictionary the search path goes online to fetch it instead of opening it from my computer. How can I locate the AppData file and remove it, including any other reference to it in my computer. I understand that MS makes a backup copy in case the master file is corrupted.

Another problem that might be related to this: When I save a document, I see the save box open twice. I suspect that MS is making two copies of this document, one on my desktop and another somewhere else. In addition, when I click on a document it opens Word with nothing on it. I have to click on the large button and select it from recent documents. This last problem arose when MS unleashed Word Pad on my computer.  

Any help will be appreciated.

Computer: HP Notebook  Model 15-1004wm

Memory:  8 GB (7.89 available)

Security: Emsisoft (paid subscription)

ADwCleaner, HitmanPro, RogueKiller (un-paid)

Program: MS Word 2007, Professional Pro 32bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

Hi umen

Your Custom.dic is in the proper location for office 2007: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof

To view the AppData folder you must first do the following...

In the taskbar search window enter File Explorer Options, click to open

From the File Explorer Options window choose the View tab, drill down the list and put a bullet next to 'Show hidden files, folders and drives', click Apply, click OK.

Back to the taskbar search window enter %appdata%, click to open. File explorer will open and you should now be in the Roaming folder.

My recommendation...

Using 'Copy / Paste' make a backup of: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof to a folder placed on your Desktop or to an external drive.

Right-click your 'Start Button' and select 'Apps and Features' from the menu.

Scroll the list of apps to Microsoft Office 2007 (or similar) click the entry, click Modify, click Yes on the UAC prompt, click Repair and Continue.

Office will attempt to repair any corrupted / damaged files. The repair operation will take a few minutes so please be patient.

If your issue(s) are resolved after performing the above, you are well on your way

If your issue(s) are not resolved I would recommenr a coplete remove/reinstall

Scroll to Option 2, click the download button, click Open to execute the removal tool immediately or Save to execute the removal tool later.

Reinstall Office 2007 and add your Custom. dic backup file.

Best Regards

Old Rocker

#3 umen

umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:15 AM

Hello old rocker,

Thank you for your informative answer to my problem. I forgot to tell you that I also have the classic shell on my Windows 10 system I did the first procedure and discovered that show hidden files, folders and drives' was already checked. When I entered, %appdata% into the start menu box a file named Roaming appeared. It leads me to 7 files. Clicking on the Microsoft file brought up 23 files. I clicked on the Word file and it brought up a file called, ListGat.dat, associated with Notepad. I tried to restore it back to 2016 and received this notice: Restore skipped restoring the file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ListGal.dat to original location. Some system programs were skipped because they cannot be restored to original location. To restore these files, try restoring these files again and select a different location. I suspect that this file didn’t have a dat extension when first installed on this computer.

Unfortunately the restore box doesn’t give me an option to select a different location. I uninstalled the program using the Microsoft Uninstall program that you recommended and then reloaded it. I still have the same problems. I have noted that the spell checker works as I type. If it uses a dictionary then why is it that the dictionary can’t be brought up with the same speed? I’m afraid that this is almost beyond my capability. Nevertheless, I’m committed to fixing this problem.

I also noted that when I clicked on the Custom Dictionary the path to the Encarta dictionary now spells roaming correctly instead of roming.

I do have a question. Why are their 54 MS updates for Word 2007 in my update files. I thought that MS stopped supporting Word 2007 several years back?

Sincerely,

David

Hello

Thank you for your informative answer to my problem. I forgot to tell you that I also have the classic shell on my Windows 10 system I did the first procedure and discovered that show hidden files, folders and drives' was already checked. When I entered, %appdata% into the start menu box a file named Roaming appeared. It leads me to 7 files. Clicking on the Microsoft file brought up 23 files. I clicked on the Word file and it brought up a file called, ListGat.dat, associated with Notepad. I tried to restore it back to 2016 and received this notice: Restore skipped restoring the file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ListGal.dat to original location. Some system programs were skipped because they cannot be restored to original location. To restore these files, try restoring these files again and select a different location. I suspect that this file didn’t have a dat extension when first installed on this computer.

Unfortunately the restore box doesn’t give me an option to select a different location. I uninstalled the program using the Microsoft Uninstall program that you recommended and then reloaded it. I still have the same problems. I have noted that the spell checker works as I type. If it uses a dictionary then why is it that the dictionary can’t be brought up with the same speed? I’m afraid that this is almost beyond my capability. Nevertheless, I’m committed to fixing this problem. I also noted that when I clicked on the Custom Dictionary the path to the Encarta dictionary now spells roaming correctly instead of roming.

I do have a question. Why are their 54 MS updates for Word 2007 in my update files. I thought that MS stopped supporting Word 2007 several years back?

Sincerely,

David

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

Hi umen

None of this should cause any data loss, but I would make a backup of anything you treasure.

It's hard to grasp the fact that you are experiencing the same issues after uninstall / reinstall of Office 2007 PRO.

I think if I were facing your dilemma and really wanted to get to the bottom of it, I would try the following next...

1. Open Control Panel, Open Programs & Features, Open View installed updates. For each update listed under the Office group, One by one right click and choose Uninstall

a. Try using REVO Uninstaller: https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html The free portable version works great. Use the Advanced mode after the initial uninstall completes to remove all leftover registry entries then all leftover directory entries. Reboot and reinstall Office 2007 PRO.

2. This will be complicated! Perform a manual uninstall following the instructions here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manually-uninstall-office-4e2904ea-25c8-4544-99ee-17696bb3027b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#OfficeVersion=Office_2007 Take your time, read and follow the instructions word for word.
Once completed, Reboot and reinstall Office 2007 PRO

Again, if I were in your shoes, these are the steps I would take.

Best Regards

Old Rocker

#5 umen

umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hello Old Rocker,

Thank you again for your time in answering my Word 2007 problem. Before your message arrived I made a decision to reset my computer. The reason was my missing Glyph study homework Word document from my computer. When I removed/reloaded Word, somehow my homework disappeared from my computer. I searched everywhere including the Auto Save folder. I remembered that I had created a restore point on 08/11/2018. First I attempted to recover that file but the backup restore file page didn’t locate that restore point; hence the reset.

Interesting things happened during the reset. Only two programs were removed from the computer, Word 2007 Professional Pro and Service Pack 3 for Word. Yesterday I read your message and reloaded Word and found my homework. Now my dictionary opens in less than two minutes. Checking the update folder I was surprised to see that there were no updates for Word 2007 on my computer. The path to the dictionary is still C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof. Checking the Profiles stored on this computer file I discovered only one existed called, DAVID\user local. I thought if I could change that to roaming it might make a difference but the roaming button is grayed out.  

I tried to create another user profile but soon realized that I was not offered a choice of roaming and canceled the operation. It seems that my computer is using a profile different from the one that’s listed on my computer; and I have no idea where that profile is stored.

Am I correct in my thinking that if I could somehow create a new roaming profile and remove the current one (Users\user or better DAVID\user) that I might be able to cure my Word 2007 problems? I suspect that this problem of using the correct user profile is the answer to my five year old problem.

Sincerely,

Umen

#6 umen

umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Hello Old Rocker,

I was talking to a computer programmer today and mentioned my problem about the slow dictionary opening. She zeroed in on the custom dictionary and had me make a copy of the file and add it to the original file then delete the original custom dictionary. My dictionary opens between 30 seconds and just over a minute. I have opened and closed the Word program 5 times selecting a word to look up and the results are all the same. I am a happy camper.

Thank you Old Rocker for your solutions and time spent on my computer problem.

Sincerely,

Umen

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi umen

Glad to read 'everything worked out for you'

Just a suggestion to curtail data loss in the future...

'Backup to External Media'

Old Rocker

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Also, no snark intended, it's time to update to Office 2016.

I was using Office 2010 and just did so.  With the change of laws in the EU with regard to licensing you can buy a fully legal "recycled" license on eBay for under $10.  I got one for $9.88 and two more several hours later for under $5.   We're talking under $20 for three legal, fully activated copies of MS Office Pro Plus 2016.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users