Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floor Model Razer Blade for College

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computerguy2000

computerguy2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:46 PM

Hello! I am starting college this upcoming year and I needed a laptop to do my work. I have a desktop but I will not be bringing it. I need a powerful laptop as my major will be computer science/cybersecurity. Today, I purchased a floor model razer blade 2017 at a discount. It's got a 1060, i7-7700HQ, and 16gb ram. Is it a good laptop? I have been told it's not good quality and since I will use this for college for the next 4 years I really want it to last. Regardless of the fact that it's a floor model I've been told that razer blades themselves are not reliable laptops. I posted on [/size]linustechtips.com and a few people basically said return it. I am so scared because a laptop is a big investment and I don't want to purchase something that will break soon. I want it to last and not have a lot of problems. Can I please get some advice? If this is a bad laptop model, what are some other recommendations? I have 14 days to return this or I am stuck with it so time is money! My requirements for a laptop for school are that it has 16gb ram, decent i5/i7 processor, lightweight, and good battery life, (and be able to last 4 ish years). I am hoping the razer can accomplish this. I am mainly worried about the battery life or any other issues since I've never owned a laptop. Thanks,

Mod Edit:  Merged input below posted later - Hamluis.
Hello, I am going to start college this upcoming year and I will be majoring in computer science/cybersecurity. I need a good laptop! I know nothing about laptops and really need some advice. I have few requirements for this laptop but I really need it to last 4 years, I don't want to have any issues with it. Because my major is computer science/cybersecurity I will be running heavy duty programs and making Virtual machines, so the computer needs to have some power. I need 16gb ram, i7, GOOD LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE, SSD, 15 inches, and lightweight. Please help. I need to buy a laptop ASAP. I was looking at the Gigabyte Aero 15 or the HP Spectre x360. Help please.

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2018 - 04:47 AM.
2 essentially identical topics merged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:53 AM

G'day computerguy2000, and Welcome to BC

I have just read THIS review

This is essentially a gaming laptop...and the review reflects this.

It has outstanding battery life.

It uses a 256gb SSD

This thing would be as fast as can be.

I assume it runs windows 10 ?

My opinion is that you will get more grief from the win 10 than you ever will from the laptop itself.

Others may own one of these and could therefore be able to chime in with a users opinion.

Keep in mind that it is a gamers laptop....and most of the opinions you get will be from that perspective. Gamers can be a very picky lot...their opinions may well be restricted to performance under extreme conditions.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 computerguy2000

computerguy2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Are Dell XPS 15 good?

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2018 - 04:48 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

They are, but if you can grab that floor model it is going to be better in many ways.

Especially if they make it cheaper :D

Nothing wrong with floor models just have the seller clean it out for you of any possible junk before selling it to you.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users