Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alex Jones Ban, was it justified?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

Thunderf00t explains why Alex Jones was banned by so many sources. I think he makes some good points and maybe other YouTubers, Facebook users and etc have nothing to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojHiIbD18WY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:35 AM

Being justified or not is beside the point, Facebook, Youtube etc are basically big old private forums and as such have the right to remove content or ban the user as they see fit.

Bleeping-computer rules say.

When posting you agree that the administrators and the moderators of this forum have the right to modify, delete, edit or close any topic, signature, account, or profile data at any time that they see fit. If you have any questions concerning this, please do not start a new thread, but rather private message to an administrator or moderator.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

There is no Right to free speech on forums.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

Not only is there no right to free speech in private venues, whether literal physical or figurative (e.g., forums), the actual right to free speech does not mean that there are not consequences from exercising it where it is permitted.

Virtually all of the arguments I see today about free speech come from whiners decrying the fact that what they've freely chosen to say, and did say, has negative consequences for them.  If you decide to step in to "my house" then spout garbage, don't be surprised if I throw you out and make very clear and very public the reason that you were thrown out.

Censorship only has any real meaning when it is the government suppressing free speech, and specifically political speech, and even more specifically political speech that is unpopular.

Decent society has every right to tell conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones, white supremacists, racists, etc., to take a hike.

Free speech also means only that you have the right to say what you wish, which can be done in this nation (USA) [with the rarest of exceptions, like directly threatening the President or yelling, "Fire!," in a crowded venue] without any fear of government reprisal.   It doesn't mean that anyone has to listen nor anyone has to give you a metaphorical soapbox and megaphone to spread it around louder and further.

It's about time that owners of internet communications venues started taking their roles as decent members of society a lot more seriously than they have.  And that means tossing lunatics to the curb.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,656 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:49 AM

Poetic Justice? Alex Jones and and others from his side of the aisle give their full-throated support for bakers who refuse to put a message on their cakes. Now they're complaining about tech companies who refuse to host their messages on the tech companies servers.

Liberals Applaud As Local Baker Refuses To Serve Alex Jones
Satire

https://babylonbee.com/news/liberals-applaud-as-local-baker-refuses-to-serve-alex-jones/
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Something I wrote myself, when one of the previous whining cycles began from those "censored" by a private communications venue for spouting garbage:

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.
Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.
Suppression of expression of the wrong thing by oneself is discretion, restraint, and good manners.
Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:27 PM

I'm kid of surprised that this didn't happen to Info Wars/Alex Jones earlier. Because apparently he was saying messed up things about the Sandy Hook shooting something about it being a conspiracy.

I hope that Alex gets some professionally help because obviously suffers from delusional thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users