Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts on results

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

I recently installed a program, and it came back as Malware on my computer.  Ran a virtustotal on it, and got this: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

?

got what, exactly?

Link Missing ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

sorry about that.  it seems that my links keep on getting removed when I post.  

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/b0d8aa5d5a4b7b58ba4516812a82a8c1e2385353347b701d19dc3f89fdb7f4b1/detection

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

I am not getting any displays results from that link. How many anti-virus programs detected it as malware?

If an online service that analyzes suspicious files shows one or two file detections as malware, then it is likely a false positive. The consensus among most experts is that if 90% of the results indicate a file submission is clean, then you can disregard the other detection(s) as false.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

21 virus results......out of 67

image.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

Hi, sniper8752!

Which equals that approximately 31% of the results are indicating the program (ImgBurn) to be malware, although most anti-virus programs more specifically detect it as adware/Potentially Unwanted Applications.

Just for the record, v.2.5.8.0 of ImgBurn is well-known to be infected with malware (OpenCandy) and should consequently be avoided altogether.

As such, if possible, I would recommend uninstalling the program, and then posting a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Assistance Forum, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 14 August 2018 - 01:51 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

Several of the detections indicate the program is a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA), Potentially Unsafe Application (PUA), adware or not-a-virus:Adware.

Potentially unwanted applications
A potentially unwanted application (PUA) is a program that contains adware, installs toolbars or has other unclear objectives. There are some situations where a user may feel that the benefits of a potentially unwanted application outweigh the risks.

For this reason, ESET assigns such applications a lower-risk category compared to other types of malicious software, such as trojan horses or worms.

Eset: What is a potentially unwanted application or potentially unwanted content?

A potentially unwanted application is a broad category of software and many of these programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. PUAs do not fall into the same categories as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. That is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them.

What are Potentially Unsafe Applications?

There are many legitimate programs that serve to simplify the administration of networked computers. However, in the wrong hands, they may be misused for malicious purposes. This is why ESET has created this special category. ESET users now have the option to choose whether the antivirus system should or should not detect such threats. "Potentially unsafe applications" is typically the classification used for commercial, legitimate software. This classification includes programs such as remote access tools, password-cracking applications and key-loggers (a program recording each keystroke a user types).

Eset: Potentially unsafe applications
Eset Online Scanner FAQs #16: What are Potentially Unsafe Applications?

HEUR Adware/HEUR Malware (not-a-virus:Adware) is a heuristic detection routine designed to detect common malware characteristics...and generaly is reported when a file "seems to contain suspicious functionality" or possibly is "potential malware".

These type of detections do not necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. Anti-virus/Anti-Malware scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. Usually, if you installed or recognize the program and it is not causing any issues, you can ignore the detection or add to it's exclusion list. If not or you downloaded it from an untrusted site, then you need to investigate further.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Malcolmer

Malcolmer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

I hope you deleted the program and made an antivirus scan already?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users