Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Lagging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kemeleon

kemeleon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

I'm having difficulty with Windows Explorer working correctly. I've been experiencing lagging issues with it for about 2 months now and I have no idea how to fix it. I can't find anything online recently with others experiencing the same issues so I'm turning to Bleeping Computer for help. 

Problems:

1. Icons not loading

aOj3QRZ.png

2. Folder structure/contents take hours to load

rfRytM9.png

3. Clicking/navigating is slow to respond only in windows explorer

htPOxhL.png

Troubleshooting solutions I've tried:

• Removing/Reinstalling Antivirus (Bitdefender Total Security 2019).
  • Reinstalling Windows 10.
  • Building a new computer with a new Windows 10 install disk and using all new hardware (minus GPU).
  • The issue is also starting to present itself on my work laptop (provided by my company) but it hasn't been as severe as what I've experienced on my PC which leads me to believe that it could be tied to Creative Cloud in some capacity when syncing files.
  • Updated Windows

If I leave my computer on for 6 plus hours then the problems slowly go away to almost working with minimal lag but if I restart then it has to go through the process all over again. I know I should talk to adobe as that seems to be the one thing constant throughout my troubleshooting but I wanted to check here first to make sure there wasn't anything I'm missing. That and avoiding Adobe's painful troubleshooting process would be super awesome. 

System:

MB: ASRock x299 Taichi XE

CPU: i9-7940x

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

RAM: 64GB DDR4 (3200)

PSU: Corsair HX850i

SSD: 512GB M.2 Samsung 970 Pro for OS

SSD: RAID 0 - 2x 512GB M.2 Intel SSD7

SSHD: Seagate 2TB for work files

HDD: Western Digital 2TB for backup

Let me know if you need any other information about my system. Maybe I just need one of y'all to say, "Bite the bullet and talk to adobe." I'm just hoping that isn't the situation. 

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

if you disconnect from the network lan/wan  how does the computer act?

if it gets faster then you could have some adware/malware/coin mining software running in the background accessing the accessing the internet, slowing your computer down.

if disconnect from your modem or router and problems go away I would suggest running malwarebytes/adwcleaner/antivirus software and if malwarebytes or adwcleaner find anything then have them remove all infections.

that's where I would start.

#3 kemeleon

kemeleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

if you disconnect from the network lan/wan  how does the computer act?

if it gets faster then you could have some adware/malware/coin mining software running in the background accessing the accessing the internet, slowing your computer down.

if disconnect from your modem or router and problems go away I would suggest running malwarebytes/adwcleaner/antivirus software and if malwarebytes or adwcleaner find anything then have them remove all infections.

that's where I would start.

You suspect Malware on a machine that has been gutted and completely reconfigured with new hardware? 

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:00 PM

Hi, I would uninstall Bit Defender. I know you say you did this, however did you use their uninstaller? If not then many functions of this AV are still functioning (it's why they make their own uninstall util).

https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

You can if you must reinstall it after testing to see if it contributes to the problem. Many third party AV's are experiencing difficulties with windows ten. MS code changes are leaving some developers behind, as third party AV's lose their market share they have less and less resources to maintain the code integrity, some like Norton spend most of their R&D budget on Marketing. Windows Defender is integrated into the OS and we use it, on highly sensitive Govm't machines, simple because it is now the best.

In addition run a "clean boot" and maintain this for awhile to see if the problem continues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Do you use Cortana? The windows GUI (and therefore explorer) are controlled by Windows shell experience Host, there is some history of this causing problems, and it might be with an adobe problem, it would not hurt to run a repair reinstall of it.

Press win + x keys select Powershell(admin) copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the PS window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Let us know how you get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users