Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Pavilion Desktop show no signal on monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

I have a Windows 10 HP Pavilion computer that functions really well except at times when turning the machine on the monitor shows "No Signal monitor going to sleep.

If I turn it back on the signal is there and the computer functions well until I turn it off again.  No bets on whether it will start up or not.

The video on this machine is built into the motherboard. Would it make sense to use a separate video card.  I have been connecting with Analog connection.

Is there anything else I can try to see if the on-board video is going bad.  I have  unplugged the computer from the wall and then held in the power button for 60 seconds.  Sometimes this helps but not all the time.

Please let me know what I need to do.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

I don't know if it will give you a clue but tapping Esc at boot on an HP will give you a menu and from there you can select System Diagnostics.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Ran the Diagnostics test.  Found no errors.  I am thinking if I buy an inexpensive video card and the problem goes away I will have it solved.  If not I will have a spare video card to eventually use somewhere else.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

You're welcome. If you have the time please post an update. Thanks.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

Put in a old video card.  The computer was started and restarted several times.  It started right up.  I thought I had the problem solved but the next morning I tried turning it on and it went to sleep with no signal showing on the monitor.  I tried starting it again and it started right up.

Do you think it would make sense to go ahead and buy a new VGA  PCIe card.  If it worked better with the old card I had maybe it would be better with a new one.  I didn't have nor can I recognize the manufacturer of the older PCI card.  I don't have the drivers for the card.  When I checked in Device Manager It shows the video card is running on Microsoft basic driver.

Would sure appreciate your thoughts.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

I'm not sure if this is a video card problem or something else. Even thought the System Diagnostic passed this may be some Windows 10 problem. I would disable Fast Startup.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

After disabling Fast Startup I would open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X > powershell as admin

Type the following commands.

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

I would change your power profile to High Performance and see if that helps.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-change-power-plan-settings-windows-10-a.html

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Have you checked the connection between the computer and the monitor or tried a different cable?

Have you checked in the Device Manager to see if there are any warning or error icons, especially under Display adapters?

Try setting up the computer to boot into Safe Mode and see if this problem persists there.

To set the operating system to boot into Safe Mode press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Important:  Once you have set the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to do this until you go back to System Configuration,open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users